Post-Game Talk: Pittsburgh Penguins at New York Rangers - October 17, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
The W-L-T column is a bunch of bull**** over small samples.

Not that we don't deserve a poor record, but we absolutely deserved a win tonight.
Yeah well I’ve watched the games (missed one) and they deserve to be 1-6-1 AT BEST.

Sample size or not. Going by ur stats they would’ve lost against MTL and won last night.

Ur advanced stats can show what to expect but that doesn’t mean it is what WILL occurr. I get what ur saying about sample size, I do. But this team has played nothing but sheeet hockey for two plus weeks now. Were they better last night in 2nd / 3rd... sure. But in the end a bad goal ties it and a worse turnover ends it.

The team IS it’s record no matter what the corsi or expected GF says.

They’re sheeeet at the moment.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I have already stated in the game thread that it was inexcusable. Sorry to shatter whatever view you had of us Hank "fanboys".
Might just be me but I thought the Hagelin goal was the worst. Hank barely had his glove up at all and it went right where his glove should have been.

Reactions: THE JAM

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
The team needs to schedule the dads road trip early and get the boys to play for their old men. That might add some jump. Wait we play well already on the road...bring the dads to MSG.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I have already stated in the game thread that it was inexcusable. Sorry to shatter whatever view you had of us Hank "fanboys".

It wasn't as horrendous as some are making it out to be. Hank was in RVH and while in transition to getting up (most likely because he was anticipating a whistle for the hand pass) Crosby surprised him and banked it in off his stick during the transition to his feet.

A mixture of bad positioning set in motion by a misread due to the circumstances, throw in some puck luck and there you have it.

It's not like he missed a clear sighted soft wrist shot from 80 feet out.

Reactions: Ori

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Might just be me but I thought the Hagelin goal was the worst. Hank barely had his glove up at all and it went right where his glove should have been.

Could he have played it better? sure, but this is the NHL, goals like that are to be expected and sometimes we have to give credit to the scorer. That was a nice shot from Hags.

Case in point, DDs shot was perfect and virtually unstoppable and cheered on by our fans in the GDT as a glorious snipe, which it was. Now some of those same fans would have bashed Hank to no end if he was on the recieving end of a similar shot and goal against.

I mean, yes, Hank is not getting any younger and his best days are behind him, we all know that, its not even a argument to be had. But not every single goal against is his fault. We have posters on this board that have maded it their mission to bash Hank on every single goal that beats him and when called out on their clear bias against Hank, the response is that we are fanboys and what not. If being levelheaded and objectiv in my critic is what some of you call a "fanboy" then sure, go ahead, let your personal bias cloud your judgment.

And in all honesty, we all should be Hank fans. The guy is arguably one of the best Rangers ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: will1066

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
As of right now, they are.

They are enjoying a **** load of PDO on a golden platter right now. They will come back down to earth.

Yes true, but they have not met a lot of quality teams in NHL so far - right now they are doing well.
I did not blame Henrik at all last game and I thought he had some amazing saves as well - it was all on Kevin S. he should never touched that puck since it was a hand pass with that Sid situation and goal.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Hank had an average game. He made some awesome saves and looked great on the penalty kill, but he's also due for 1 shit goal/game. These behind the back goals need to stop

Reactions: Siddi

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
It wasn't as horrendous as some are making it out to be. Hank was in RVH and while in transition to getting up (most likely because he was anticipating a whistle for the hand pass) Crosby surprised him and banked it in off his stick during the transition to his feet.

A mixture of bad positioning set in motion by a misread due to the circumstances, throw in some puck luck and there you have it.

It's not like he missed a clear sighted soft wrist shot from 80 feet out.

Looking at this again and more closely, that is just a sick angle on the trajectory coupled with the fact that Crosby's backhand is in the 99th percentile in the league. The puck is not traveling along the goal line, so it's tough for any goaltender, let alone Hank, to keep hugging the post. Yet it's not quite a true centering pass. It's just one of those grenade lobs you desperately throw in the closing minutes of a game, except Crosby's plays aren't of the typical sort.

Reactions: nevesis

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I miss 2012-14 Mac. He was on the verge of perennial Norris contention.

Now, I don't even think I have him in my top 30 for defensemen.
Just because you keep throwing this bad opinion around doesn’t make it true.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Personally I think McD has absolutely been horrible BUT..
Install new structured system = McD gets back into the top 15.

Reactions: Ori

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It explains this slow season start doens`t it @Mac n Gs ? And too many players with slow start this year with a new record in turnovers in 7 games close to (100). But at least we moved another slow starter last summer in Stepan for future picks.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Could he have played it better? sure, but this is the NHL, goals like that are to be expected and sometimes we have to give credit to the scorer. That was a nice shot from Hags.

Case in point, DDs shot was perfect and virtually unstoppable and cheered on by our fans in the GDT as a glorious snipe, which it was. Now some of those same fans would have bashed Hank to no end if he was on the recieving end of a similar shot and goal against.

I mean, yes, Hank is not getting any younger and his best days are behind him, we all know that, its not even a argument to be had. But not every single goal against is his fault. We have posters on this board that have maded it their mission to bash Hank on every single goal that beats him and when called out on their clear bias against Hank, the response is that we are fanboys and what not.

In all honesty, we all should be Hank fanboys. The guy is arguably one of the best Rangers ever.
Yeah, it wasn't the worst goal in the world, just saying that one stood out to me as more stoppable than the others. The Kessel goal was the kind of thing you're describing - just a great shooter taking a perfect shot, not unlike when Glass sniped Price last year, only from a shooter you can actually expect a great shot from.

But yeah, Hank gets a lot of hate in here. IMO it's mostly the cynical contrarian types - people like Hank, he's popular, some people make excuses for him, therefore they have to tear him down constantly because it then looks like they "get" something everyone else doesn't. I don't even think it's arguable if he's one of the best Rangers ever - that's definite.

Reactions: Siddi

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Yeah, it wasn't the worst goal in the world, just saying that one stood out to me as more stoppable than the others. The Kessel goal was the kind of thing you're describing - just a great shooter taking a perfect shot, not unlike when Glass sniped Price last year, only from a shooter you can actually expect a great shot from.

But yeah, Hank gets a lot of hate in here. IMO it's mostly the cynical contrarian types - people like Hank, he's popular, some people make excuses for him, therefore they have to tear him down constantly because it then looks like they "get" something everyone else doesn't. I don't even think it's arguable if he's one of the best Rangers ever - that's definite.

For the first time ever I started to get on Hank after Game 5 in Ottawa. He gave up a crap goal in Game 1, 6 goals in Game 2, then the team in front of him played two perfect games to tie the series back up. Perhaps two of the only playoff wins of his career where Hank wasn't the #1, #2 and #3 stars and saved our bacon. Those two games and Game 7 in 2013 and the 7-0 Nylander hatty against Atlanta.

So your team gets you back in the series, the floor is now yours. That is what franchise players do. Come through when your team needs it most.

*Thumbs down raspberry noise* he gives up 5 goals and the season is over.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global

Yeah, I agree and just to be clear my response wasn't a knock on your post. What you posted was just a good springboard for what I wanted to convey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad