Post-Game Talk: Pittsburgh Penguins at New York Rangers - October 17, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
McDonagh has actually been quite good so far this season overall but last night he definitelyt did some dumb stuff and I don't know why Rangers players always try to pass through opposing players. That was just a needlessly high risk play and he knows he screwed up.

Rangers bad, Rangers good, Rangers really dumb. Game had it all, but the Rangers really just threw that game away (and got unlucky on that Crosby goal, that was in no way a shot, he was hoping he still had a teammate around the net and got lucky"

Reactions: Mac n Gs

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
McDonagh has actually been quite good so far this season overall but last night he definitelyt did some dumb stuff and I don't know why Rangers players always try to pass through opposing players. That was just a needlessly high risk play and he knows he screwed up.

Rangers bad, Rangers good, Rangers really dumb. Game had it all, but the Rangers really just threw that game away (and got unlucky on that Crosby goal, that was in no way a shot, he was hoping he still had a teammate around the net and got lucky"

No sense dwelling on that or Hank. One can also say if Shatty didn't play the puck then face off outside zone and the rest is history

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
No sense dwelling on that or Hank. One can also say if Shatty didn't play the puck then face off outside zone and the rest is history

Yup! That was also a bizarre decision. Looks like he was hoping he could tap it through Crosby and clear it but why take that chance against Crosby...

Lot of self inflected wounds by the Rangers, pretty frustrating in a game where they at least showed some signs of life and coherency here and there. Lines gelled a bit later in the game especially the top line, but Buch still shouldn't be on the 4th line regardless of how that worked out yesterday.

I'm starting to be of the opinion that Vesey is not a very good/smart hockey player. He's not playing to his strengths at all any more and the coaches should be figuring out how to coach him out of that. He can control the puck pretty well, and he's actually good with his stick and positioning to create turnovers, but his passing is abysmal about 90% of the time and he's completely ineffective as a player that tries to control the puck and set up plays. Last night he had the puck along the boards and was controlling it well...except he cut back and forth along the boards about 4 times instead of passing or moving the puck to a teammate and then got double teamed and lost the puck. Just entirely pointless and dumb.

I think when he's moving straight forward and making shorter passes he's fine, but his stretch passes suck, his "possess the puck and distribute" passes are terrible, and the more time he spends trying to be Rick Nash with the puck the less time he spends in scoring areas where he's actually useful.

Just really really horrible game offensively from him.

edit: and I say McDonagh has been quite good because his advanced stats have been quite good so far this season. He's got a CF% of 57.14, his PDO is like 95 which shows his goals for/against numbers are probably influenced by the "bad luck scoring" the Rangers have had so far this year. Yeah he makes mistakes, all the best players do, but his underlying numbers (in a small sample size) are a huge jump from previous years when he's had to play with Girardi.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yeah well I’ve watched the games (missed one) and they deserve to be 1-6-1 AT BEST.

Sample size or not. Going by ur stats they would’ve lost against MTL and won last night.

Ur advanced stats can show what to expect but that doesn’t mean it is what WILL occurr. I get what ur saying about sample size, I do. But this team has played nothing but sheeet hockey for two plus weeks now. Were they better last night in 2nd / 3rd... sure. But in the end a bad goal ties it and a worse turnover ends it.

The team IS it’s record no matter what the corsi or expected GF says.

They’re sheeeet at the moment.

Yes, they've been shit for two weeks but McDonagh hasn't and they deserved to win last night.

That's all I'm saying.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yes, they've been **** for two weeks but McDonagh hasn't and they deserved to win last night.

That's all I'm saying.

Basically if they can clean up some of the bad "one off" mistakes then things might start looking up...though Shattenkirk needs to get his numbers up. Possibly a result of playing with Staal at this point

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Basically if they can clean up some of the bad "one off" mistakes then things might start looking up...though Shattenkirk needs to get his numbers up. Possibly a result of playing with Staal at this point

They were good last night, but I wouldn't push it.

I'd try Shattenkirk back with McDonagh like we planned.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yes, they've been **** for two weeks but McDonagh hasn't and they deserved to win last night.

That's all I'm saying.

Did the Rangers deserve to win last night? I would say they could have won but also that there were good reasons why they didn't and they weren't all attributable to bad luck.

The Rangers need better starts for one thing. It's like every night we're chasing the game.

Reactions: Riche16

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Did the Rangers deserve to win last night? I would say they could have won but also that there were good reasons why they didn't and they weren't all attributable to bad luck.

The Rangers need better starts for one thing. It's like every night we're chasing the game.

i had barely sat down in my seat and watched kessel tickle the twine

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

Giving up a goal in the first and final minutes of a period is the biggest no no in hockey. I learned that when I was a squirt.

The constant bad starts and blown leads are inexcusable and a reflection of what is very wrong with this team.

I hate AV more than anyone but I also think there just might be something wrong with this group. All these horrific playoff losses, maybe they just don't have what it takes to get over the hump.

And this dates back to pre-AV. Maybe even goes as far back to the Drury 7.7 goal in Buffalo. This team has a massive lack of killer instinct. Never able to stomp on a teams throat when they have them cornered and always let them back in it. Always winning Game 1 and then dropping the next one. Always having to take a series the distance to Game 7.

Last edited:

Player big P

no more striptease no more flashes
Feb 4, 2010
Prague
i had barely sat down in my seat and watched kessel tickle the twine
I had just turned the game on, saw Kessel coming in, said "He's going to score," and, well.

Past two years it almost doesn't feel like a Rangers game if they're not down by at least one within the first two minutes.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
I had just turned the game on, saw Kessel coming in, said "He's going to score," and, well.

Past two years it almost doesn't feel like a Rangers game if they're not down by at least one within the first two minutes.

it seems to me like they sometimes expect to come out and be the better team, they dont put their foot on the gas until they have to

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
They were good last night, but I wouldn't push it.

I'd try Shattenkirk back with McDonagh like we planned.

Well "looking up" isn't exactly saying they're gonna be real good or something ;)
]
and yeah Shattenkirk with McDonagh is probably better but don't thinkw e're gonna see it

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007

Rangers didn't deserve to win last night. They had 20 something giveaways to bolster their league leading giveaway totals, and gave up goals in the 1st and last minute of the game. I realize that by showing up for 30 minutes or so it was the best game the Rangers have played all season, but their game is still pretty far away from deserving to win.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Could he have played it better? sure, but this is the NHL, goals like that are to be expected and sometimes we have to give credit to the scorer. That was a nice shot from Hags.

Case in point, DDs shot was perfect and virtually unstoppable and cheered on by our fans in the GDT as a glorious snipe, which it was. Now some of those same fans would have bashed Hank to no end if he was on the recieving end of a similar shot and goal against.

I mean, yes, Hank is not getting any younger and his best days are behind him, we all know that, its not even a argument to be had. But not every single goal against is his fault. We have posters on this board that have maded it their mission to bash Hank on every single goal that beats him and when called out on their clear bias against Hank, the response is that we are fanboys and what not. If being levelheaded and objectiv in my critic is what some of you call a "fanboy" then sure, go ahead, let your personal bias cloud your judgment.

And in all honesty, we all should be Hank fans. The guy is arguably one of the best Rangers ever.
Think the difference is Hank used to be able to carry the team.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Lundqvist has a 3.23 gaa and a Save % of .902. No team is winning games in the league anymore with numbers like that from their number 1 guy.

Yeah, I guess the highest paid, best goaltender in the league in Carey Price has all of a sudden lost his talent with his 3.56 GAA, and his save % of .885.

Or maybe it's because of the terrible team play in front of him.

Same with Raanta, same with Talbot whose teams are respectively 0-5, and 1-4.

Teams that play terrible in front of their goaltender will rarely have a goaltender with great statistics. They are correlated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->