Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Is anyone else hoping that Phil Bourque gets the "Steiggy" treatment here soon?

I used to be a fan of him, but let's face it - he has become insufferable over the last few years.

My biggest pet peeve with him is his constant ragging on Malkin.. give it a rest Bourque. Malkin is a franchise player, was integral to the last 3 cups, is Conn Smythe trophy winner, and he is poised to win the art ross this year.

It just doesn't make any sense.. it would be like the Patriots announcers ragging on Tom Brady. Lets hope Angry Phil gets jettisoned here shortly and they bring some new blood in.

I don't know what his deal is.

I disagree, but respect your opinion.

I'm with you on this. Someone actually saying something not completely corporate is nice to see sometimes...

Maybe he rags on malkin because he knows Geno can do better/do you read the GDT out here? Lol. We crucify players.

Bourque is fine. Prone to some homerism swings, but generally calls a spade a spade.

Being on the west coast and working at night, I usually listen on the radio feed and get video snippets later that night.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I miss Steiggy... There, I said it. Probably, for no better reason than I live on the west coast, and hearing his voice on Center Ice feeds took me back to my days in Pittsburgh. Nothing against Mears, I think he's pretty polished and smooth, especially given his youth, perhaps a bit bland, but losing Steiggy was just other connective thread breaking. Then again, all I have to do is listen to the Caps or Tampa Bay homers, and I quit bit(&!*g about Mears...

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Ugh I don't get anyone missing Steiggy. You want nostalgia from your youth days in Pittsburgh? Listen to home games on the radio with Lange.

Steiggy was constantly mistaking players, going on long rants instead of calling the game, and just flat out obnoxious. He was fine as a color man, but has always been a bad PBP. The last few years I was listening to away feeds most of the time and now at least I can listen to Pens feed again and not want to gouge my eyes out.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Steigy was the worst homer ever too. Opposing fans loved to say it but it doesn't make it any less true. Everyone on the Penguins was the best player in the league at what they did, even in the extremely embarrassing fallow years of Glass, Adams, declining Orpik and Scuderi, playoff Fleury etc. Bylsma the most genius coach in the league.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I remember Olczyk used to rag on Kovy all the time, but tried to hide it in a professional manner. One day he just lost his shit when Kovy tried a move at the blueline and turned it over... Uneasy Ed blurted out that he had enough of his backhand move and he should just shove it...

No idea why he went so mental, but it was pretty comical. Maybe Olczyk and Bourque have some kind of personal issues with Russian players and their style...

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Maybe he rags on malkin because he knows Geno can do better/do you read the GDT out here? Lol. We crucify players.

Bourque is fine. Prone to some homerism swings, but generally calls a spade a spade.

Being on the west coast and working at night, I usually listen on the radio feed and get video snippets later that night.
HF is slightly different than an actual announcer or radio talk show host, no? Bourque is fine with me, especially with Lang.

Reactions: EightyOne

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I remember Olczyk used to rag on Kovy all the time, but tried to hide it in a professional manner. One day he just lost his **** when Kovy tried a move at the blueline and turned it over... Uneasy Ed blurted out that he had enough of his backhand move and he should just shove it...

No idea why he went so mental, but it was pretty comical. Maybe Olczyk and Bourque have some kind of personal issues with Russian players and their style...
That's the only way to explain it. Bourque's vendetta against Malkin is weird and not logical..

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Bourque can be a little much sometimes. I like him and he has good insights, but Cassius isn't exactly wrong in that sometimes Bourque lays it on a little too thick.

Still like him though and he has good chemistry with Lange.

Reactions: Shady Machine

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
The Morning Show on the Fan has gone to crap. Ever since they lost Gianotti and brought in that clown Dunlap. Before, the show felt like a bunch of friends having a good time talking about sports and other news items all with equal say and the conversation flowed naturally. Dunlap comes in and just dominates the conversation with his hysterics and alarmist style where everything is "unbelievable". Such an obnoxious clown even worse than Fillaponi.

Mears seems like a nice guy and has decent knowledge of the game but is extremely boring. He has a very generic, bland voice. And for a PBP guy who is describing what's happening on the screen that I can already see, you have to have a more interesting voice and engaging style. Steiggy was a big homer at times and made some blunders but he was much better at the job than Mears is.

Mears is young and new, hopefully more of his personality will start to show. At this point he probably doesn't want to say anything even slightly off kilter, but that stuff will come out as he gets more comfortable.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Ugh I don't get anyone missing Steiggy. You want nostalgia from your youth days in Pittsburgh? Listen to home games on the radio with Lange.
Excellent idea! Perhaps I will also bang rocks together when I need fire. I sometimes try to sync XM radio NHL/Lange (well, for the home games since he really doesn't travel) with NHL.Com, but life is complicated, I am a single dad with two sons, and have to decide where to apply what is left of my limited time and resources. Plus, I have to time shift most of my viewing as I have to earn a living, so bye bye most weekday Lange options.. I really don't get too caught up in who calls PbP, but I explained my rationale, sorry if it wasn't enough for you. I'm clearly at a disadvantage against one so passionate he would consider plucking his own eyeballs rather than listening to Steiggy. ;-)

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Excellent idea! Perhaps I will also bang rocks together when I need fire. I sometimes try to sync XM radio NHL/Lange (well, for the home games since he really doesn't travel) with NHL.Com, but life is complicated, I am a single dad with two sons, and have to decide where to apply what is left of my limited time and resources. Plus, I have to time shift most of my viewing as I have to earn a living, so bye bye most weekday Lange options.. I really don't get too caught up in who calls PbP, but I explained my rationale, sorry if it wasn't enough for you. I'm clearly at a disadvantage against one so passionate he would consider plucking his own eyeballs rather than listening to Steiggy. ;-)

Imagine enjoying Steigy's awful commentary so much that you'd write something so needlessly passive-aggressive. Enjoy whatever you want to enjoy, you don't have to defend it to anyone, but Steigy was one of the worst I've ever heard.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Imagine enjoying Steigy's awful commentary so much that you'd write something so needlessly passive-aggressive. Enjoy whatever you want to enjoy, you don't have to defend it to anyone, but Steigy was one of the worst I've ever heard.
Passive aggressive? I specifically mentioned nostalgia as my rationale and EXPLAINED being locked into Mears for time-shifted games on the west coast, unless I opt for the other team's PbP. You can find sightly obsolete copies of DSM-5 for cheap on Ebay if you want to brush up on your therapeutic diagnostics. (I hope I wasn't being too indirect with that suggestion, that would be awfully passive) In an attempt to salvage something of value here, may I ask, do you *really* enjoy Mears? I don't mind him, in his milquetoast kind of way, and he has the potential to grow into the role, but he ain't exactly the second coming of Vin Scully.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't find Phil Bourque to be homerish at all, there are times I am listening and he talks about how the Pens should be penalized for some of the stuff they got away with. He's somewhat more fair than most radio pbp guys that are hired by teams. Usually it's pro-team everything, but PB29 is fairly down the middle for most of his stuff and yeah at times he is on Malkin a lot, but he doesn't say dumb stuff the way Steigy does, I think if anything Lange just doesn't respond to Bourque as often anymore, not sure if its age or what, Lange just sometimes gets lost and goes quiet at random times.

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I honestly think Bourque's had a bit too many knocks on the head. He's slipping a bit. And Lange's not nearly as sharp as he was in the 80s and 90s, but decades of HARD living will do that to you.

In the end, I don't find Mears to be bad. He's just bland and forgetable, which apparently is the new thing about sports broadcasting. There's just no iconic local aspect to his presentation, which is what I want from a PBP guy.

Actually, I take that back. I think that being bland and forgettable is worse than being bad. Being bad at least is some sort of quality, albeit negative. Mears basically doesn't even exist in my mind the second he stops speaking. He is a non-person.

Reactions: KIRK

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I honestly think Bourque's had a bit too many knocks on the head. He's slipping a bit. And Lange's not nearly as sharp as he was in the 80s and 90s, but decades of HARD living will do that to you.

In the end, I don't find Mears to be bad. He's just bland and forgetable, which apparently is the new thing about sports broadcasting. There's just no iconic local aspect to his presentation, which is what I want from a PBP guy.

Actually, I take that back. I think that being bland and forgettable is worse than being bad. Being bad at least is some sort of quality, albeit negative. Mears basically doesn't even exist in my mind the second he stops speaking. He is a non-person.

I watch hockey to watch hockey. Not to be entertained by some dope who thinks he's funny. Mears just does his job.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I watch hockey to watch hockey. Not to be entertained by some dope who thinks he's funny. Mears just does his job.

I mean, I can do that with the sound off. There's no point to having an announcer if he's not going to add anything to the broadcast. :laugh:

If Mears doesn't get any better, I'll probably just put a spotify playlist over him and watch once Lange retires.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Wow you took that to an extreme I didn't anticipate. I certainly wasn't trying to hate on you for liking Steiggy. Miss Steiggy all you'd like!

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I like Bourque overall, if nothing else because god forbid anyone would say anything critical of the team. He's someone you might actually learn something from. That's why I always hated Steigy aside from his buffoonery. People that don't know that much about the game get a skewed perspective from people like him. It might be good for the team because they sell more t-shirts, but it's not good for the game really. Errey isn't exempt from this either even though he knows his stuff. He just played way too much off of Steigy. He's much better now.

My only thing with Bourque is he gets a little too gravely serious about things at times. Football announcers are more prone to this I find, and it's hard to explain, but they talk overdramatically as if the game is this ethereal, spiritual thing that is just so important to life as we know it.

It's a game dude. Now it is a great game at that, and there are all kinds of examples of toughness, overcoming adversity, courage, etc. within the context of a bunch of dudes trying to put a rubber disk in a net. Within that context, the stuff that happens can be downright amazing, but it doesn't go beyond that.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

For me, being bad means that I have to either mute the television or make a concerted effort to tune the commentator out. Being bland just means he'll blend in with the other noise. I'd prefer the latter, but I tend to only notice/care about commentators at the extremes.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
For me, being bad means that I have to either mute the television or make a concerted effort to tune the commentator out. Being bland just means he'll blend in with the other noise. I'd prefer the latter, but I tend to only notice/care about commentators at the extremes.

Yeah. There's "bad" and "so bad it's good". The former is just bad. The latter might funny, but still. No one wants to experience it 82 times a year.

Reactions: Brandinho
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad