Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Really makes you wonder why Adams and Orpik were allowed to stick on this team as long as they did. Good ****ing riddance.

It really does. Particularly since they were there for character and leadership. Adams especially was a shitty 4th liner for years and Orpik had his lovable “everyone else is making mistakes and I’m not guilty at all.” Scuderi started doing crap with his globetrotter comment, too. It was very odd.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Yeah, Orpik, Adams, Scuderi.....what misery. How things changed when they left. I still fondly recall Sid cutting disgustedly for the bench while Scuds lugged the puck up the left side and totally failed to see him breaking into the clear. What a mess they were at every level, for years. Bylsma's last presser after the playoff loss was surreal.

Oh, someone asked about Matt G earlier on Twitter. Just talking about trying to de-stress, go for a run. Said he was more sad than mad about the DK mess. He's a very religious guy and I wonder how much he knew for how long, and what might have played on his conscience.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Appears to be confirmed as Yohe mentioned it a few weeks ago in his Q&A:

Yohe Q&A: Are the Penguins a good bet to even make the...

Interesting. Not surprised at all that Orpik, Staal and Adams were involved. Surprised about Cooke, didn't expect that. We all now Orpik was a hypocritical dink in his last few years in Pittsburgh, and to me, Staal always seemed like a smarmy punk off the ice to me. No good reason why, was just the vibe I got from him. Good hockey player, but I didn't miss him when they traded him, and don't miss him now. Adams was known to go after his own teammates in practice, so this doesn't surprise me.

And I always knew that Asham was a good dude! Liked him a lot. MAF, Dupuis and Malkin are all obviously going to have Sid's back.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Is it really a surprise then that this team melted down vs Philly that spring? Embarrassing children. That should have been the end of the Bylsma era right there.

Amen. Dude had no control over the team. And anyone could tell that that year's team had some serious internal issues.
When I think DK, I remember his playoffs article about how the Rangers are an utterly terrible team, and then they proceeded to win three straight including game 7.

Probably still framed in the NYR locker room.

Ugh, I remember that one. Specifically mentioned how their power play stunk. Of course, they open the scoring of Game 5 with a PP goal.

I'd love to be to find that article. Love the nostalgia factor (both good and bad) of reading old articles.

Really makes you wonder why Adams and Orpik were allowed to stick on this team as long as they did. Good ****ing riddance.

Yep. It was almost like they'd rather lose their way than win someone else's. Just like Dan Bylsma!

It really does. Particularly since they were there for character and leadership. Adams especially was a ****ty 4th liner for years and Orpik had his lovable “everyone else is making mistakes and I’m not guilty at all.” Scuderi started doing crap with his globetrotter comment, too. It was very odd.

I don't recall that comment. Any chance you could find the article/video? I'd love to see it.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
What I remember most distinctly about Dan Bylsma's last presser was how every media member was talking to him as if he had already been fired. I think Bylsma was slightly teary during it, too. I can't find a clip of it online, though.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I don't recall that comment. Any chance you could find the article/video? I'd love to see it.

triblive.com/sports/penguins/5368876-74/penguins-malkin-period#ixzz2q608FRJT%20

Turnovers and foolish penalties finally caught up with the Penguins, and Scuderi said his team didn't deserve to win Friday's game.
“Absolutely not,” Scuderi said. “If you're going to try and play hockey like the Harlem Globetrotters, you're going to get burned. We continue to make the same mistakes, go for the same highlight reel plays.
“That might look good on the highlight reels every now and then, but it's not a formula for winning.”

However, in the three games with Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang back in the lineup, the Penguins have allowed 13 goals.
Scuderi expects more from the Penguins and wants them to develop good habits in the regular season.
He didn't single out any players, though he could have had his pick. The Penguins were guilty of numerous mistakes.
“It was the whole team the entire game,” Scuderi said. “We did a good job of trying to keep it together. Our goalie (Jeff Zatkoff) made some big saves. But you can't ask that much of a goalie and a defense — a team defense — for 60 minutes. It's not going to pay off.”

It’s not all wrong, but he was one of the worst players on the team at that point and the globetrotter wannabes were dragging the rest along.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
OH I was so done w Scuderi.
Must give hat tip to JR for the steal deal w Daley. My goodness that was larceny.
Remember the Hawks fans coming here and gloating how they won that trade. Oh dear.

We didn't even care at the time IIRC, we were just so impressed that JR was actually able to move Scuderi in a trade!!!!

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
OH I was so done w Scuderi.
Must give hat tip to JR for the steal deal w Daley. My goodness that was larceny.
Remember the Hawks fans coming here and gloating how they won that trade. Oh dear.

Yeah, I remember that. I thought the deal was so much in Pittsburgh's favor, I thought it almost wasn't fair.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Yikes. That's the last bit of talent DK still had on the Pens beat.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Tried to see DK's twitter for reactions and apparently he's set it so only followers can see his tweets lol

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Shelly Anderson landed there, too.
Mike Vukovcan is behind the whole Pittsburgh *whatever* Now. An absolute disgrace of a human being.

My Nittany Lion friends on Twitter/BWI crack up at how much of a joke he is, endlessly pestering high school kids’ DMs to get scoops on Pitt’s pathetic recruiting.

This just goes to show for these guys, there really aren’t that many options out there. Even if DK was paying him peanuts, I’m sure he’s taken a pay cut for this Mickey Mouse gig. Though I will admit there’s surprisingly some decent talent on that PGH Hockey Now.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Gatjka's joined Kingerski and his crew at PittsburghHockeyNow:

That looks like it's Lake Elizabeth in the background...

Grew up playing hockey on that lake as a kid-teen. Tons of good memories there... except for the one day I fell in testing the ice.

Post gazette would always send some unlucky soul down to take pics of us in the sub zero tempatures every winter, to put in the Lifestyles section.

Still remember the caption on the last photo they took before we all moved off to college... "Local youths playing an impromptu game of ice hockey".

Looks like kids still play there and the PG keeps taking their pics:

Hockey-on-Lake-Elizabeth-north-side.JPG

Snowfall winding down; temperatures get colder tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad