Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
This is interesting. Looks like KDKA and it's cronies are going to pump the Riverhounds now. Some one the replies to these tweets are gold.

KDKA on Twitter

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
What was this asshat thinking between 2010 and 2014 besides which lipstick he would wear to kiss Shero and Bylsma's asses?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
What was this asshat thinking between 2010 and 2014 besides which lipstick he would wear to kiss Shero and Bylsma's asses?

I mean, it is honestly a pretty huge off season.

If Rutherford doesn’t do anything and Letang turns out to just be this now and Maatta continues to be mediocre. It may end our best remaining chances at a cup.

If he makes a huge move and it doesn’t work out, the knee jerk reaction may be what cements us not being a future contender.

On the flip side, both of those moves could be a huge reason we make another cup run next year.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I mean, it is honestly a pretty huge off season.

If Rutherford doesn’t do anything and Letang turns out to just be this now and Maatta continues to be mediocre. It may end our best remaining chances at a cup.

If he makes a huge move and it doesn’t work out, the knee jerk reaction may be what cements us not being a future contender.

On the flip side, both of those moves could be a huge reason we make another cup run next year.

That's not the point. The point is Rossi saying something like this now after two straight Cups when he would never criticize Shero or Bylsma when the Penguins were underachieving for 5 straight playoffs.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Rossi's not making an entirely indefensible point, he's just being needlessly melodramatic about it, as per usual.

"JIM MIGHT HAVE ACCIDENTALLY SQUANDERED THE REST OF 87/71 CUP CHANCES!!!11"

Maybe, but he already won 2 cups helming a club that was looking dead in the water, so if there are no more in their shared career, all parties involved should consider this sequence of events to be an enormous success.

This summer's going to be a big deal, win or lose. Some of the role players are getting into "sell and backfill with fresh legs" territory (notably Sheary and Rust, but possibly Maatta and even Letang).

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
How the hell is trading for the best center on the market “hubris”?

The audacity of Rossi to throw pot shots at JR after he’s been so embarrassingly wrong about him for 2+ years just shows you the kind human we’re talking about. Dudes garbage

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Rossi's not making an entirely indefensible point, he's just being needlessly melodramatic about it, as per usual.

"JIM MIGHT HAVE ACCIDENTALLY SQUANDERED THE REST OF 87/71 CUP CHANCES!!!11"

Maybe, but he already won 2 cups helming a club that was looking dead in the water, so if there are no more in their shared career, all parties involved should consider this sequence of events to be an enormous success.

This summer's going to be a big deal, win or lose. Some of the role players are getting into "sell and backfill with fresh legs" territory (notably Sheary and Rust, but possibly Maatta and even Letang).

Yeah. Rutherford could f*** it up from here on out and he’s still done more than we could have ever hoped.

Rust could be an interesting trade piece. You’d rather move Sheary but he’s performed better and more consistently. He’ll actually have value.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Yeah. Rutherford could **** it up from here on out and he’s still done more than we could have ever hoped.

Rust could be an interesting trade piece. You’d rather move Sheary but he’s performed better and more consistently. He’ll actually have value.

At worst, if Rust isn't scoring you can put him on the 4th line and still have an effective penalty killer in the line-up and provide depth. When Sheary isn't scoring, he's beyond useless.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
At worst, if Rust isn't scoring you can put him on the 4th line and still have an effective penalty killer in the line-up and provide depth. When Sheary isn't scoring, he's beyond useless.

I think we should be allocating as much cap space as possible to fixing the defense. If we can fit Rust in addition, cool.

Reactions: billybudd

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
I could remember incorrectly, but didn't JR basically call Rossi an idiot after a game a few years ago? Probably a grudge going on there.

Edit: looked it up. Yeah, JR went off on Rossi during the 2015 playoffs. Further proof that JR knows what's up.
That couldn't be because Rossi generally made shit up? lol

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I could remember incorrectly, but didn't JR basically call Rossi an idiot after a game a few years ago? Probably a grudge going on there.
He told him to go sell ice cream lol

But Rossi started the grudge, JR was just responding to his nonsense.

Rossi knows less about the Penguins and hockey than even the worst posters on this forum, and his sniveling demeanor doesn't exactly make up for that.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Yeah. Rutherford could **** it up from here on out and he’s still done more than we could have ever hoped.

Maybe, but Rust's trade value isn't really why I'd want to move him. I think guys like him have a short shelf life and that we've already seen his best hockey. His contract expires this year and he's likely to go from 600k to ~$3 million. I don't think what he's going to bring going forward will match that dollar amount.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Maybe, but Rust's trade value isn't really why I'd want to move him. I think guys like him have a short shelf life and that we've already seen his best hockey. His contract expires this year and he's likely to go from 600k to ~$3 million. I don't think what he's going to bring going forward will match that dollar amount.

This is why I disagreed completely when folks were mentioning a long-term extension for Rust. IMO, guys like him you keep on relatively short term deals and take advantage of him when he's still in his "prime", but not lock him up to the point he's an albatross when he falls from a 30-40 point guy to a 30-year old 25+ point guy.

IMO, he's this generation's Tyler Kennedy. I'm not directly comparing them as players or in terms of ability, but in terms of a middle six winger who served a valuable purpose for a handful of years, but who potentially loses his value as he approaches 30 years old.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Ron Cook is the leader in the clubhouse for the worst possible take. I was gonna link to it but he doesn't deserve that much.

I don't listen to Cook or read many of his articles. Is he another Pirate media stooge? Because it sure does seem like some of the local media talking heads that are very critical of the Penguins love to make excuses for the team in town that never tries to win.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
2 Cups later and Rossi is still sour about Shero and Bylsma being fired. :laugh:

Yep, pretty pathetic!

Agreed. And if there's a silver lining to his poor playoffs, is he probably cost himself quite a bit of $. Ugh, I really hope they don't sign him for $3M. We saw how well that worked for Sheary.

Not to mention Rust is injury prone.

Sorry to go O/T here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad