Confirmed Trade: [PIT/VGK] Reilly Smith for 2024 3rd round pick

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Great pickup by Boston. Reilly is a much better all round player now since he left Boston the first go around.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
But those "shiny new toys" are what make for nice parades!

The Stanley Cup is their shiny new toy atm :naughty:

I mean it's obviously worked for them...

I just think, if i were a player i'd seriously question if my contract with Vegas is worth the paper it's written on. :laugh:

At some point, that ability to just run through players like it's a cattle auction has to catch up with them, right?

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
So, Doobler replaces a 31 year old Jason Zucker with…an even older player.

Don’t have a great feeling for this one from the Pens side.
Think it's a term thing. Rather than ink Zucker a new 5 year deal we get Smith who has 2 years left at a fair cap hit of 5 mil. I actually wanted to bring Zuck back but I understand the logic behind this move. Just hope that other win-now trades follow.

Smith is a winner. He will be a really solid fit in Pittsburgh.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
So, Doobler replaces a 31 year old Jason Zucker with…an even older player.

Don’t have a great feeling for this one from the Pens side.
If this didn’t happen they are more than likely to resign Zucker for longer than the 2 years Smith has left. For probably the same type of money and Smith is better.

The Pens made a great deal to get a middle 6 forward that can play with Malkin/Crosby, is fairly compensated if not on the cheap side, and fits their window of competing until the wheels to fall off.

Oh and they got the dude for a 3rd rounder in 2024. Which is basically free. There is basically nothing to nitpick with this deal from a Pens perspective.

Reactions: Syrinx

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
He was terrible in the playoffs, I don't know how he got a 3rd and Hall nothing, would much rather have Hall.
Well I think it's pretty safe to say that if you don't understand something so easy, something anyone who has watched a little bit of hockey in a salary cap world grasps immediately as to why Smith fetched a 3rd while Hall got "nothing" then as a Pens fan, I am absolutely giddy about your opinion on Smith's playoff performance.

And the impressive level of irrelevance shown in comparing the two while noting which you'd prefer just hammers the point home!

Last edited:

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Think it's a term thing. Rather than ink Zucker a new 5 year deal we get Smith who has 2 years left at a fair cap hit of 5 mil. I actually wanted to bring Zuck back but I understand the logic behind this move. Just hope that other win-now trades follow.

Smith is a winner. He will be a really solid fit in Pittsburgh.
I hope you’re right, though I wish they had gone after a better, younger winger.

This feels like more of the same ol’ Doobler dumpster diving we saw in Toronto, which yielded no success.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I hope you’re right, though I wish they had gone after a better, younger winger.

This feels like more of the same ol’ Doobler dumpster diving we saw in Toronto, which yielded no success.
I dunno if dumpster diving is the right term here. Smitty is a warrior. A proven leader for Vegas with 106 playoff games under his belt across 7 seasons. 0.75 ppg average in those games.

Most Vegas fans seem pretty heartbroken to see him go. Would you feel the same way if it was Rust getting traded to another team? Probably not.

If the alternative here was paying out the ass for Bunting and giving him stupid term, I take this deal 10 times out of 10.

Reactions: WhataKnight

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com

Wait, what?

I guess I don't understand where you are at on this or what might bother you.

But that's just my opinion.

A 32 year old winger with only 2 years left is an issue?
And getting Smith is "Dumpster diving"?
Smith is hardly garbage.
The bottom line is that he makes this team better.
And the cost of only a 3rd round pick next year is great.

You add players that make your team stronger and Dubas did exactly that.
There's nothing to not like about this move.

Wishing for a different player is fine.

But then basing your evaluation of the trade on who you didn't trade for seems like a waste of effort. To many unknown variables and also, most of all, it misses the entire point. Which should be the player that you received and what was given up for him.

Yeah a younger winger would have been nice, I agree with you on that....but that isn't this trade and has no relevance on it.

This trade, the Smith for a 3rd was a great deal for Pittsburgh. He makes the team a better team. At least on paper.

Dunno who all was actually available and what the cost was but again, there's very little that I can see which should bother a Pens fan.

Reactions: brewski420

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

You're not getting a better, younger winger for a 3rd round pick.

Smith is just as good as Rakell.

Reactions: Zbynek

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I dunno if dumpster diving is the right term here. Smitty is a warrior. A proven leader for Vegas with 106 playoff games under his belt across 7 seasons. 0.75 ppg average in those games.

Most Vegas fans seem pretty heartbroken to see him go.
Most that I have read (only 2 of them tbf) felt that he was pretty much a non-factor in their Cup run. Which would tie right in to the idea that Doobler doesn’t know how to win in the playoffs.

If the alternative here was paying out the ass for Bunting and giving him stupid term, I take this deal 10 times out of 10.
Personally I was hoping for Bertuzzi or Compher, or a trade for a winger in his 20s.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Most that I have read (only 2 of them tbf) felt that he was pretty much a non-factor in their Cup run. Which would tie right in to the idea that Doobler doesn’t know how to win in the playoffs.

Smith had 14 points in 22 games and scored the game winning goal in the cup clinching game.

Your hated of Dubas is clouding any sort of objectivity you might have.

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Personally I was hoping for Bertuzzi or Compher, or a trade for a winger in his 20s.
Which again, has exactly what to do with this trade?
Neither of those players you wanted have anything to do with the value or affects of this trade.
You're not judging this deal based on who Smith is and what he brings to the team but who he isn't based on who you wanted.

It's a nonsensical and pointless way to evaluate. In fact, it's not even evaluation at all. It's simply ignoring the trade while separately stating the player or type of player that you wanted. The 2 of which have nothing to do with the other.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Good move by both teams. Pens get a good player that can play anywhere in the top 9 at wing and play well. Reilly is a solid hockey player and at a 3rd good value.

Vegas sheds some cap while still at least getting an asset back and are able to sign Barbashev who is a gamer and any team in the NHL should want a guy like that on their team.

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Give them both 10Mx8

who cares when you can just pretend they had back surgery so they can be nice and fresh for the playoffs, right?
You don't know how it actually went down.

Stone didn't fake a surgery at all. He had a very real procedure done.
However, it wasn't on his back but instead it was an entirely elective surgery, enhancing another of his body parts.

On a related note, I have been hearing that plastic surgeons are doing wonderful and amazing things in the field of male only plastic surgery nowadays.

Science is awesome

• Haha
Reactions: VivaLasVegas

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
You don't know how it actually went down.

Stone didn't fake a surgery at all. He had a very real procedure done.
However, it wasn't on his back but instead it was an entirely elective surgery, enhancing another of his body parts.

On a related note, I have been hearing that plastic surgeons are doing wonderful and amazing things in the field of male only plastic surgery nowadays.

Science is awesome
It's a well-reported fact that Stone has the largest knob in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad