Confirmed Trade: [PIT/VGK] Reilly Smith for 2024 3rd round pick

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Smith had 14 points in 22 games and scored the game winning goal in the cup clinching game.
You mean the 9-3 blowout? Oh no, what would the Knights have done without Smith’s goal in that game…

He was otherwise scoreless for the series, aside from a single powerplay goal in game one (how much PP time will he get in Pittsburgh?).

Reactions: Petes2424

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You mean the 9-3 blowout? Oh no, what would the Knights have done without Smith’s goal in that game…

He was otherwise scoreless for the series, aside from a single powerplay goal in game one (how much PP time will he get in Pittsburgh?).

He had 3 points in 5 games in the finals.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Wait, what?

I guess I don't understand where you are at on this or what might bother you.

But that's just my opinion.

A 32 year old winger with only 2 years left is an issue?
I understand that you disagree, which is fine. Smith will turn 33 before the next playoffs start, and will be 34 for the playoffs after that. Those are the last 2 years of Crosby’s contract and pretty much the end of the playoff window for Pitt.

These were not the reinforcements some of us were looking for. Don’t really care that we paid a third, we could have found a better player than this, in my view.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I understand that you disagree, which is fine. Smith will turn 33 before the next playoffs start, and will be 34 for the playoffs after that. Those are the last 2 years of Crosby’s contract and pretty much the end of the playoff window for Pitt.

These were not the reinforcements some of us were looking for. Don’t really care that we paid a third, we could have found a better player than this, in my view.
We got a guy who put up 56 points and is a good player for a future 3rd. Please let me know what better play could've been had for that price?

He'll be solid for the next two seasons. We still have cap to bolster the depth. No way we were getting some huge fish anyway so don't go there.

I can't see the negatives here for either team.

Except the 5M in cap for the 33-34 year old winger.

Which will cost more assets to move at the TDL, if he proves to not be a fit.
I think you're just scarred freshly from Granlund. Smith will bring a lot to our lineup.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Hockeytown USA
We got a guy who put up 56 points and is a good player for a future 3rd. Please let me know what better play could've been had for that price?

He'll be solid for the next two seasons. We still have cap to bolster the depth. No way we were getting some huge fish anyway so don't go there.

I can't see the negatives here for either team.

I think you're just scarred freshly from Granlund. Smith will bring a lot to our lineup.

Amen. You just got Reilly Smith, a very solid 200' player who still has a couple of good years left in him, for a bag of popcorn.

Any Pens fans who complain about this deal would likewise complain about getting a free inheritance check from a distant uncle that they never knew.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Great pick up for a 3rd, but I still hope they can get Zucker signed. They might be similar production wise, but Zucker brings more to the ice that Smith doesn't replace. I guess I'm officially on board to pay to move Granlund after this trade.
I would still like to keep Zucker, but this move moves the leverage in the Penguins favor.

We have 1.5 days left to buyout Granlund.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

Smith’s scoring in the playoffs was mostly insignificant points. That is actually true. He really wasn’t a difference maker, where Barbashev was a big difference maker. The second half of the season, we seen something from Smith we hadn’t in Vegas. He wore down. The legs weren’t what they had been in previous seasons. So Vegas likely cut bait at the right time.

That doesn’t mean he can’t be a nice asset for the Pens. He should have something to prove and he’s a good all-around player and great in the room. He’ll likely start out really well. I expect him to perform this year. He’s a good pro.

The only concern is, when guys start losing their legs, sometimes they go really quickly.

Shoofyou10

Apr 30, 2009
The Burgh
The Pens still have plenty of cap space and a granlund buyout/trade, and a Petry trade away from a decent amount more. I'm not too worried about Smith's 5 mil hit vs what he brings for the next 2 years vs someone locked in long term.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018
People on here saying Smith is just so so are freaking nuts. Pretty sure you never saw him play. He can shut down the best players on every team. He's one of the best effort players in the NHL and makes his teammates better . Constant high pressure backchecking forechecking. He's also very versatile and can play both special teams and indeed is one of best PK'rs in the league. Great move by the Pens. Vegas has no loyalty but heck they won the cup so tough to criticize.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

When does the season start?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Trade fits Dubas MO to a tee, trading draft capital in this case a 3rd rd pick to take on 5M in cap space. While other GM's are getting draft picks for taking on 5M in salary in a cap strapped league. Dubas is trading picks to take on salary. I don't get how this guy was highly regarded by the Fenwick group. Surely 5M on the UFA market could have gotten a comparable player. Big win for Vegas GM McCrimmon, dumped 5M to sign Barbashev and got a 3rd pick as a parting tip.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Trade fits Dubas MO to a tee, trading draft capital in this case a 3rd rd pick to take on 5M in cap space. While other GM's are getting draft picks for taking on 5M in salary in a cap strapped league. Dubas is trading picks to take on salary. I don't get how this guy was highly regarded by the Fenwick group. Surely 5M on the UFA market could have gotten a comparable player. Big win for Vegas GM McCrimmon, dumped 5M to sign Barbashev and got a 3rd pick as a parting tip.
Lol give it a rest Leafs fans. Dubas has moved on. You're like that lingering ex girlfriend :laugh:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
For 2 years? Because that's a critical element for this team.

I bet not.

Reactions: Extra Texture

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Which 25G, 50 pt UFA out there on the market was going to take a 2 year, 5m per year deal on their last big contract in their early 30’s?

A comparable like Tarasenko or Zucker would’ve probably cost more like 25m over 5 years, and then the complaint would be that Dubas destroying the Pens cap by saddling us with veteran money for 2026 and beyond

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Which 25G, 50 pt UFA out there on the market was going to take a 2 year, 5m per year deal on their last big contract in their early 30’s?

A comparable like Tarasenko or Zucker would’ve probably cost more like 25m over 5 years, and then the complain would be that he’s destroying the Pens cap in a different way.
Exactly

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Maybe you don't understand that getting a top 6 wing, who will also improve the PK, for a third is good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad