Confirmed Trade: [PIT/TOR] Kasperi Kapanen, Lindgren, Aberg for 2020 1st, Hallander, Warsofsky, Rodrigues

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Rust isn't a point per game player without Crosby and Malkin. He's still a good two-way winger who can post roughly 40-45 points (assuming a full 82 games played) and play on your PK.
Well considering hes never done that, how can you make that claim?

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
If you say so, but I think he has physical skills and abilities coming out his rear end. If he can find a bigger box for his tools he will be awesome.
We know how hard it is to find a winger sid can play with and likes to play with....you really think Kapp is one??? Hossa, Dupuis, kuntiz, Jake...the list is very short .

Malkin won't bring out the best in him and he looks set to play with rust and zucker

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rutherford is trying to prove that you can rebuild via the trade route instead of the draft...I suppose as long as Crosby and Malkin are reasonably productive, he might get away with it for awhile.

But sooner or later the bottom will drop out of the bag, and the Penguins will be back in lottery doldrums where they were in 2005 when they drafted Crosby in the first place.

Of course by then, Rutherford will be on a golf course somewhere and the next GM will the one pulling his hair out.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Rutherford is trying to prove that you can rebuild via the trade route instead of the draft...I suppose as long as Crosby and Malkin are reasonably productive, he might get away with it for awhile.

But sooner or later the bottom will drop out of the bag, and the Penguins will be back in lottery doldrums where they were in 2005 when they drafted Crosby in the first place.

Of course by then, Rutherford will be on a golf course somewhere and the next GM will the one pulling his hair out.

That's kind of the key here. Whether or not JR chose the right player to acquire is another story, but the thought process behind it (ie. maximizing Sid and Geno's remaining good years) is sound.

Because at the end of the day, once Sid and Geno are retired the Pens are going to suck. There's no one being drafted with the 15th overall pick this year that's going to change that.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Kapanen will not score 20 goals next year...he will not mesh well

Unless he's injured, it's hard to see how he won't. He's practically scored 20G from a third line, with one hand tied behind his back. Penguins really don't have much of any quality wingers. He'll get his shot, and as a RH shot...it'll be a good one. Even if he does end up on a 2nd PP Unit.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think there’s about a 10% chance Dubas makes that pick. The pressure is on for him and he needs to make the team better after trading away a good forward.

It was genius to trade Kapanen for the 15OV pick. You now have a more valuable asset to trade for a better piece. Most GM’s would agree that Kapanen is not worth a mid 1st, but now Dubas has one to make a big move.

I can see that argument. And it obviously creates some extra cap flexibility as well. But at the same time...teams like to get something that can contribute in a trade, most of the time. There are only a few teams that are truly in that "rebuilding who cares about players" phase. Kapanen was that piece. And it's spent now. So now they're in a position where they're trying to spend a draft pick to improve their team, with one key piece less to offer other teams in exchange.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I can see that argument. And it obviously creates some extra cap flexibility as well. But at the same time...teams like to get something that can contribute in a trade, most of the time. There are only a few teams that are truly in that "rebuilding who cares about players" phase. Kapanen was that piece. And it's spent now. So now they're in a position where they're trying to spend a draft pick to improve their team, with one key piece less to offer other teams in exchange.

The Leafs are apparently offering Johnsson, Kerfoot, Engvall and Andersen around the league. I bet for the right player they would give up Sandin or Dermott. Attach the 15OV to one or two of those players and you have a pretty nice package to land a big fish.

Reactions: NB613

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
That's kind of the key here. Whether or not JR chose the right player to acquire is another story, but the thought process behind it (ie. maximizing Sid and Geno's remaining good years) is sound.

Because at the end of the day, once Sid and Geno are retired the Pens are going to suck. There's no one being drafted with the 15th overall pick this year that's going to change that.
I think everyone knows this. It's not a hidden secret that the Penguins will be awful a few years down the road. But, you gotta keep "going for it" while you still have two of the best centers, even if they're not young anymore. I don't like this deal for Pittsburgh tbh though, Rutherford gave up a lot for a guy who's a complimentary type. I think they could have done better.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Kappy could be the straw that stirs the drink.

Blinding speed. He's a scoring threat on the PK, for Heaven's sake. After only two full seasons in the league he's still a work in progress, and if he finds the missing link he could be a game-changer.

If he wants to look for that link, he would probably find it between his ears. All the other tools are already there.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think everyone knows this. It's not a hidden secret that the Penguins will be awful a few years down the road. But, you gotta keep "going for it" while you still have two of the best centers, even if they're not young anymore. I don't like this deal for Pittsburgh tbh though, Rutherford gave up a lot for a guy who's a complimentary type. I think they could have done better.

Who else is available that's better than Kapanen that was going to cost that price and not something bigger? It's not like JR could have acquired Brad Marchand for that package but instead opted for Kapanen.

I personally do think it's overpayment, but at the same time if the goal is to improve the Pens *now*, then Kapanen's going to do that. And unless there's someone better who was available that he passed on, then the choices were either Kapanen or go into next season with the exact same roster.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The Leafs are apparently offering Johnsson, Kerfoot, Engvall and Andersen around the league. I bet for the right player they would give up Sandin or Dermott. Attach the 15OV to one or two of those players and you have a pretty nice package to land a big fish.

The thing is...these playoffs have also shown us something else. If you get close, you're in.

Which i think really narrows the market of teams interesting in dealing with the Leafs like that, with provisions for the future. Rather than just going for it right now.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
Ye s, yes actually it is. Even the hockey insiders are puzzled..

Why? the sens just traded a UFA for a first+. He is a 24 year old cost controlled player that looks like he might have the talent to end up a top six forward.
It isn’t a top five pick it isn’t even a top ten pick, it’s fair value. People pay more for a two month rental and they are buying years of this guy

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Who else is available that's better than Kapanen that was going to cost that price and not something bigger? It's not like JR could have acquired Brad Marchand for that package but instead opted for Kapanen.

I personally do think it's overpayment, but at the same time if the goal is to improve the Pens *now*, then Kapanen's going to do that. And unless there's someone better who was available that he passed on, then the choices were either Kapanen or go into next season with the exact same roster.
We'll likely never know who else was available. Maybe we'll see later on depending on who's dealt. I'm a huge Kapanen fan but it seems like a massive overpayment to give up pick #15 and a prospect who was drafted late in the 2nd in 2018. The playoffs are still going on, just seems like a rushed trade.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Kappy could be the straw that stirs the drink.

Blinding speed. He's a scoring threat on the PK, for Heaven's sake. After only two full seasons in the league he's still a work in progress, and if he finds the missing link he could be a game-changer.

If he wants to look for that link, he would probably find it between his ears. All the other tools are already there.
Kapanens problem was always between the ears. I dont see that changing. He plays with horse blinders on. Sometimes that works but most of the time it doesnt. I was really hoping his game would evolve as a Leaf but it never happened. I know hes still a kid but I dont see his hands/brain ever catching up to his legs.

Reactions: Ciao

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
@Man Bear Pig JR is famous for striking early. He figures out what he wants and just gets the deal done, and has never hesitated to throw something extra in to get it done quick. He knew he wanted Kapanen back, knew the price and thought it was the best deal he was going to get. Like others have said we’ll see how the market goes this summer to see if he overpaid. I doubt JR will look back, he got what he wanted. Time will tell if it was the right play.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
@Man Bear Pig JR is famous for striking early. He figures out what he wants and just gets the deal done, and has never hesitated to throw something extra in to get it done quick. He knew he wanted Kapanen back, knew the price and thought it was the best deal he was going to get. Like others have said we’ll see how the market goes this summer to see if he overpaid. I doubt JR will look back, he got what he wanted. Time will tell if it was the right play.
I respect that position but even as a Leafs fan, the trade just isnt good for the Penguins. Getting out in front of the market is fine and all but Rutherford just gave up a recent 2nd rounder and a mid-first for a guy who was playing on the third line.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
It was so much fun listening to Ray "the circus midget" Ferraro and the rest of the clowns on TSN talking about this trade. Mind-boggling how they try to spin every single thing into Leafs favor. Also loved the "deleted Kapanen from the roster" line, disrespectful to the pint of absurdity.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
It was so much fun listening to Ray "the circus midget" Ferraro and the rest of the clowns on TSN talking about this trade. Mind-boggling how they try to spin every single thing into Leafs favor. Also loved the "deleted Kapanen from the roster" line, disrespectful to the pint of absurdity.
Where was that? They are a Leaf related show so they are going to take a Leaf centric view - It was a good trade for the Leafs, but outside of That Ferraro segment they also had the Pitt GM that afternoon. What exactly did you find wrong?

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Penguins coming off real desperate with this one the longer it settles in

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Where was that? They are a Leaf related show so they are going to take a Leaf centric view - It was a good trade for the Leafs, but outside of That Ferraro segment they also had the Pitt GM that afternoon. What exactly did you find wrong?
The tone of the show. To be fair I have a heavy dislike of Ferraro and this was more of the same from him. Acting high and mighty, doubting Kapanen would score 20, just the whole narrative was off-putting. I'll find the segment and link it for you.

PS

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The tone of the show. To be fair I have a heavy dislike of Ferraro and this was more of the same from him. Acting high and mighty, doubting Kapanen would score 20, just the whole narrative was off-putting. I'll find the segment and link it for you.

PS

Right, he doesn't see Kapanen as a top six player. Fair enough.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Right, he doesn't see Kapanen as a top six player. Fair enough.

This isn't a grave sin, but the way he goes on about him just irks me. He always has this holier than thou persona, which is incredibly off-putting. As for Kapanen himself, I'd say he is not a clear cut top 6 forward as is, but he has space to grow into one, so I see no need to construct these make-belief scenarios where you downplay someone. I'm more off a guy who likes to see how things go before bemoaning someone or something.

As for the trade itself, the current sentiment of mine is that the Penguins in true JR nature fixated on one guy and overpaid when there was no need to do so. As for Toronto's side of things, the value is definitely good when looking at this trade in a vacuum, but a few questions remain:

• What is the end goal of this trade?
  • Clearing cap space for big game hunting?
  • What if you whiff on that?
  • What if you do get a big fish? What other moves will be needed to balance the cap?
  • Does the team need to win now in the next couple of seasons while Tavares (and potentially a guy like Pietrangelo) and Muzzin don't start regressing substantially?
If I were a Leafs fan I'd worry that the team will look even more top-heavy than thus far. Obviously that could be a good thing if you get a top 10 D in the league, but it also limits the window and forces you to have a lot of turnover on the roster making it difficult to have a roster that is clicking on all cylinders consistently.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
It might. There are hints that there is more coming. I know that I am a fan of Kapanen and I hope he does well in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Ciao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad