Confirmed Trade: [PIT/TOR] Kasperi Kapanen, Lindgren, Aberg for 2020 1st, Hallander, Warsofsky, Rodrigues

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Pittsburgh wanted to get some more speed, youth and energy on the wing whilst not giving up good pieces on their roster, all for the sake of competing now with their star veterans. That set of conditions has led to them trading away a mid-first and a pretty good prospect in Hallander, basically giving away more value going Toronto's way, in exchange for some added depth to their team in the present.

The trade favors Toronto overall, no doubt about it and props to them for obtaining that first-round pick, but it isn't nearly as lopsided as people think.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
This is basically Kapanen for a 1st. I think this would have been a better trade during the draft day, you never know who might fall.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
This is looking like Kenny Holland, trading firsts to keep that streak alive which eventually catches you up.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
How good is hallander as a prospect. Haven't really been following his development.

From what I can gather, he's not a "wow, look at how amazing his offensive skillset is. He's gonna win some Art Ross trophies in his career" type. Rather, he seems to be a guy who does the little things well and is solid in both ends of the rink.

In terms of current Penguins, he's probably closer to a Hornqvist than a Guentzel.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
The 1st will likely be used straight up or as part of a package for someone that can help right now on the blueline. I don't think we will have to wait to see who the Leafs pick at the draft.

Friedman said a few weeks ago that, due to the pandemic and lost revenue for teams, there will be players available who would not be available in others years. While money would likely have to moved out, the Leafs may be able to take advantage of that.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
From what I can gather, he's not a "wow, look at how amazing his offensive skillset is. He's gonna win some Art Ross trophies in his career" type. Rather, he seems to be a guy who does the little things well and is solid in both ends of the rink.

In terms of current Penguins, he's probably closer to a Hornqvist than a Guentzel.

He's probably closer to McCann if we're comparing him to anyone on the Penguins. Becoming another McCann caliber and style of player is probably his best case scenario.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I like this trade better for Toronto... they got some good value out of KK. I like KK though, not an awful move but it does feel like a lot to give for a 3rd line winger. Of course, "maybe he takes off with Sid or Malkin."

Hollander and a 2nd would have been right on in IMO.

If I'm moving that pick, then I'm looking for a bonafide top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman. I feel like KK is more of a "if things go the right way, then maybe he could produce like a top 6 forward. IF he gets the ice time, IF he has chemistry with Sid or Malkin etc..."

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I agree. He didn't mesh with the Leafs Centers and The Leafs had him behind Hyman, Marner, and Nylander. Interesting when Nylander held out is when Kapanen played his best in his 20 goal year. Crosby or Malkin should bring out his talent better.

I don't think people are giving Pittsburg enough credit here for the return. Sure a first rd pick at 15OA is a price. But when people were discussing an offer sheet for Kapanen as a RFA, the price most discussed was a 1st and 3rd rd pick tier of compensation. That's almost exactly what the Leafs got. Rutherford paid a fair price. He basically paid a RFA offer sheet price if people want to look at it this way.

You thought he'd be offer sheeted over $4.2mil?

Wowzers. Steal of a signing by the Leafs then.

It's quite obvious that Kyle Dubas managed Kapanen's contract and trade very well.

When people who would never admit that he did something well can only say wait -- we don't don't know how this will eventually turn out -- it speaks to the fact that there is nothing more negative to say at the present time.

It rather reminds me of a justice of the peace I often appeared before thirty years ago. He was prone to conviction. When he retired, the police detachment gave him a gift of a large upholstered die that "GUILTY" on five sides, and on the sixth side "MAYBE". When you got a maybe, you knew you had won.

I wouldn't know if there is anyone around here that is quite so hypercritical of Dubas as that, but it does seem he might have done something right this time.

His critics might just as well come out and admit that.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He's probably closer to McCann if we're comparing him to anyone on the Penguins. Becoming another McCann caliber and style of player is probably his best case scenario.

I used Hornqvist more based on Jesse's description of how Hallander's being used back in Sweden. Seems more of a guy whose offense stems from being around the net like Hornqvist rather than being a rush shooter like McCann.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008

And that is precisely what TO has been lacking in their pipeline. They've got a ton of offensively skilled but irresponsible and uncompetitive forwards, they don't have anything like what you described there. I am really excited to see if he can be a defensively responsible, grinding 3C/3W in the mold of a Hornqvist

Kap will go on to have a nice career with Pitt but Leafs got absolutely full value here, and the last trade I remember that happening for us was probably, well.... I can't remember..

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Pittsburgh wanted to get some more speed, youth and energy on the wing whilst not giving up good pieces on their roster, all for the sake of competing now with their star veterans. That set of conditions has led to them trading away a mid-first and a pretty good prospect in Hallander, basically giving away more value going Toronto's way, in exchange for some added depth to their team in the present.

The trade favors Toronto overall, no doubt about it and props to them for obtaining that first-round pick, but it isn't nearly as lopsided as people think.
Ye s, yes actually it is. Even the hockey insiders are puzzled..

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
It's quite obvious that Kyle Dubas managed Kapanen's contract and trade very well.

When people who would never admit that he did something well can only say wait -- we don't don't know how this will eventually turn out -- it speaks to the fact that there is nothing more negative to say at the present time.

It rather reminds me of a justice of the peace I often appeared before thirty years ago. He was prone to conviction. When he retired, the police detachment gave him a gift of a large upholstered die that "GUILTY" on five sides, and on the sixth side "MAYBE". When you got a maybe, you knew you had won.

I wouldn't know if there is anyone around here that is quite so hypercritical of Dubas as that, but it does seem he might have done something right this time.

His critics might just as well come out and admit that.
I’ve sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber, didn’t want to do it but felt like I owed it to them

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I’ve sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber, didn’t want to do it but felt like I owed it to them
That's quite a comment, your Honor.

I don't know which principle of sentencing makes the death penalty a benefit to the convicted person, even where the law demands it.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
So the Leafs basically just leased Kapanen for a few years from the Penguins...then somehow got a better draft pick back, than was used on him in the first place? Weird.

I still don't really understand what this does for the Leafs though, other than clear some cap space to do something with, and help restock the cupboards for a few years down the road, after splurging all of their picks on veteran acquisitions that didn't really get them anywhere.

Kapanen as he is today, with either of Crosby or Malkin, is gonna absolutely light it up though.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
From Dubas' comments yesterday he sounds like he's leaning towards trading the 15OA pick.

At the very least it's an attractive bargaining chip towards getting help on the blue line, especially if there's a rebuilding team willing to unload a veteran defenceman and wants to get in (or more in) on what looks like an impressive prospect pool in this draft.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
So the Leafs basically just leased Kapanen for a few years from the Penguins...then somehow got a better draft pick back, than was used on him in the first place? Weird.

I still don't really understand what this does for the Leafs though, other than clear some cap space to do something with, and help restock the cupboards for a few years down the road, after splurging all of their picks on veteran acquisitions that didn't really get them anywhere.

Kapanen as he is today, with either of Crosby or Malkin, is gonna absolutely light it up though.

I think there’s about a 10% chance Dubas makes that pick. The pressure is on for him and he needs to make the team better after trading away a good forward.

It was genius to trade Kapanen for the 15OV pick. You now have a more valuable asset to trade for a better piece. Most GM’s would agree that Kapanen is not worth a mid 1st, but now Dubas has one to make a big move.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think there’s about a 10% chance Dubas makes that pick. The pressure is on for him and he needs to make the team better after trading away a good forward.

It was genius to trade Kapanen for the 15OV pick. You now have a more valuable asset to trade for a better piece. Most GM’s would agree that Kapanen is not worth a mid 1st, but now Dubas has one to make a big move.

Would they? There seemed to be a lot of interest in Kapanen, not just the Pens. For all we know, it was the inclusion of Hallander on top of the 1st that convinced Dubas to take the Pens' offer. Maybe other clubs were only willing to do the 1st and not additional assets.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
And that is precisely what TO has been lacking in their pipeline. They've got a ton of offensively skilled but irresponsible and uncompetitive forwards, they don't have anything like what you described there. I am really excited to see if he can be a defensively responsible, grinding 3C/3W in the mold of a Hornqvist

Kap will go on to have a nice career with Pitt but Leafs got absolutely full value here, and the last trade I remember that happening for us was probably, well.... I can't remember..
What are you basing that on? Kapp will struggle with pitt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad