Confirmed Trade: [PIT/TOR] Kasperi Kapanen, Lindgren, Aberg for 2020 1st, Hallander, Warsofsky, Rodrigues

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The Leafs don't have top skilled players? Kapanen was provided opportunities to play a top 6 role with good players, he's just not a great finisher or playmaker. The guy skates really fast but doesn't seem to know what to do with the puck most times. He's the perfect 3rd line player and is dangerous on the PK.

Objectively... Kapanen isn't really a great fit with either of the Leafs centres. Both a goalscorers first, and work best with quality passers.

Around the league (and in Pittsburgh) you tend to have more pass-first centres, which Kapanen should benefit from.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I think there’s about a 10% chance Dubas makes that pick. The pressure is on for him and he needs to make the team better after trading away a good forward.

It was genius to trade Kapanen for the 15OV pick. You now have a more valuable asset to trade for a better piece. Most GM’s would agree that Kapanen is not worth a mid 1st, but now Dubas has one to make a big move.
I draft that pick for the ELC for obvious cap reasons.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
So the Leafs basically just leased Kapanen for a few years from the Penguins...then somehow got a better draft pick back, than was used on him in the first place? Weird.

I still don't really understand what this does for the Leafs though, other than clear some cap space to do something with, and help restock the cupboards for a few years down the road, after splurging all of their picks on veteran acquisitions that didn't really get them anywhere.

Kapanen as he is today, with either of Crosby or Malkin, is gonna absolutely light it up though.
Kapanen will not score 20 goals next year...he will not mesh well

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Would they? There seemed to be a lot of interest in Kapanen, not just the Pens. For all we know, it was the inclusion of Hallander on top of the 1st that convinced Dubas to take the Pens' offer. Maybe other clubs were only willing to do the 1st and not additional assets.

I believe LeBrun said a first was a no go for most GM’s spoken to.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I think you're wrong, but we'll just have to wait and see :)
He has speed and a decent PK guy but he cant finish and cant cycle like sid needs . He will probably be better suited for Malkins line but doubt he fits there either. He gonna be a third line guy who nets about 15 goals ..

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
He has speed and a decent PK guy but he cant finish and cant cycle like sid needs . He will probably be better suited for Malkins line but doubt he fits there either. He gonna be a third line guy who nets about 15 goals ..
If you say so, but I think he has physical skills and abilities coming out his rear end. If he can find a bigger box for his tools he will be awesome.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Going by this, I think its safe to say with 100% certainty that every 6 years there is a star player picked at #15 (2008, 2014, 2020?).

I would ask anyone thinking of doing any further research in this matter to not do so, and just "roll with it" so to speak.

The star player was already picked last year :D

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I get that, I do, to me it is just there is still a chance of a decently better player with that pick and giving that up seems silly when they could have gotten a better player.

I am guessing they are banking on KK doing well and sticking which would make sense to go after someone like him as he fits pretty well cap-wise. He could do really well here or bust which is all yet to be seen. If he does do well I think most Pens fans will be perfectly fine with the trade

The organization is familiar with him, they know what he brings and I still think there is untapped potential.

Reactions: Husqvarna

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Kappy apparently has an attitude issues. Matthews didn't want him on his line anymore and he showed up late for practice a few times...

Crosby will get him under control though.

I think these were overblown. Kapanen seems like he has a pretty good head on his shoulders. He works hard and says the right things. He is a 24 year old kid

Reactions: Ciao and Husqvarna

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Damn what are the Pens left with in their prospect/pick pool? They better win another cup because it's gonna hurt in a couple of years. Kapanen is a good add, but this is a lot to pay for him.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I don’t think it’s crazy to expect 20 goals 20 assist out of Kap plus good Penalty killing. If he gets that that’s a successful season. Anything on top of that is bonus.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Damn what are the Pens left with in their prospect/pick pool? They better win another cup because it's gonna hurt in a couple of years. Kapanen is a good add, but this is a lot to pay for him.

Sam Poulin
Nathan Legare
Some college FAs
Pocket lint
Scrunchie
Weird-shaped key we don't know what it opens
Crumpled up Halls wrapper

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I don’t think it’s crazy to expect 20 goals 20 assist out of Kap plus good Penalty killing. If he gets that that’s a successful season. Anything on top of that is bonus.
If he is being given consistant top-6 minutes, which by all accounts he will be, 20-20 should be the absolute minimum you should expect out of Kapanen. He got that with 3rd line minutes on the Leafs.

I think for the Pens, Kapanen should be 20-25 goals, and 20-30 assists, and the ability to play either special teams.

Reactions: Petrus

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
So the Leafs basically just leased Kapanen for a few years from the Penguins...then somehow got a better draft pick back, than was used on him in the first place? Weird.

I still don't really understand what this does for the Leafs though, other than clear some cap space to do something with, and help restock the cupboards for a few years down the road, after splurging all of their picks on veteran acquisitions that didn't really get them anywhere.

Kapanen as he is today, with either of Crosby or Malkin, is gonna absolutely light it up though.
You just answered your own question.

Reactions: Ciao

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If he is being given consistant top-6 minutes, which by all accounts he will be, 20-20 should be the absolute minimum you should expect out of Kapanen. He got that with 3rd line minutes on the Leafs.

I think for the Pens, Kapanen should be 20-25 goals, and 20-30 assists, and the ability to play either special teams.

His numbers look very Rust-like before Rust had his breakout season. However, it also took Rust being stapled to Malkin's wing and getting a lot of top unit PP time for that to happen. So I'm a bit worried the Pens will be getting last year's production out of Kapanen if he's on the 3rd line more so than any shot at a 25 goal, 50 point season.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
His numbers look very Rust-like before Rust had his breakout season. However, it also took Rust being stapled to Malkin's wing and getting a lot of top unit PP time for that to happen. So I'm a bit worried the Pens will be getting last year's production out of Kapanen if he's on the 3rd line more so than any shot at a 25 goal, 50 point season.
Rust is really not a great player without Crosby or Malkin

Hes another okposo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad