Confirmed Trade: [PIT/OTT/VGK] Brassard/Dunn/Lindberg/3rd for Gustavsson/Cole/1st/3rd for Reaves/4th | VGK ret. 40%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I was beginning to lose faith in Rutherford after such a poor off-season this past summer. He was redeemed himself and some.
yep, it had been MONTHS since the man won a Cup. I get why you lost faith after such a long stretch of hamstringing this team. But it's good that he has undone all that damage he did over the off-season.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I disagree. Cole's departure leaves a major void. We have to insert Hunwick as a third D pair guy. He is worse than Ron Hainsay and that is saying something. Cole/Oleksiak was a pretty good third D pair. We now have a much weaker D now and have to move another asset to acquire one.

Look. I like cole as much as the next guy. he's a solid player and contributed to our runs very well.

But if losing coke leaves a "major hole," the roster has way bigger problems than cole.

Also. I'd put Ruh in over hunwick at this point anyway.

Or convince the rangers to take hunwick and we get McD

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I agree. Just the juxtaposition between the Pens, Kings and Hawks. In the aftermath of their cup victories Tallon, Bowman and Lombardi managed to ruin their teams by mismanaging the salary cap. Overpaying both their stars and role players. Pittsburgh has their core locked out for the future and hasn't overpaid anyone for winning the cup. As a result they haven't had to gut their roster to stay compliant, but actually have managed to do the opposite by having others retain salary for their impact players. It's simply amazing. I hate the Pens and it's disgusting to see them in such a good position to be so successful for as long as Crosby and Malkin remain effective.

And I understand people hate the Pens, no problems with it, but at least you can recognize what JR has done without bias. Props.

Shero left him some really nice assets, but it was pretty much a steaming pile JR was brought in to clean up. Crosby and Malkin's legacies were almost ruined by mismanagement, sadly, and I was a big Shero fan.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think Shero's been doing great in NJ, so I think a large part of his problems were being an inexperienced GM, which was combined with having waaaaaaay too much faith in a mediocre head coach.

As puzzling as the Reaves trade to some was, it's pretty clear that Rutherford decided with Sullivan that Reaves wasn't going to be part of the plans going forward and best to ship him out at the TDL, given the interest in him. :dunno:

You can say a lot about Rutherford, but it's pretty clear the dude knows when to cut bait.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
What we gave up initially was tge 1st and gusty for Brassard and then cole for the 18% retention... the revamped deal has us flipping a third rounder next year for what will probably be a much higher third this year, which is a modest gain.... and having 40% retained... we also get reaves salary iff the books so we have enough cap space to make another move... thats worth a fourth...even if the prospects are nothing

Its several moves but opens things up for another moves as well... plus you never want to be flush against the cap just in case

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
yep, it had been MONTHS since the man won a Cup. I get why you lost faith after such a long stretch of hamstringing this team. But it's good that he has undone all that damage he did over the off-season.

Just the right amount of sarcasm. Not too much, but with a hint of ersatz indignation. Like a faint taste of peanut butter cookies in a fine Pinot Noir.

Well done.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Read on Twitter that VGK is way in on EK65. The rumor is VGK did the sens a solid on this trade to ease an EK trade.
Dislike... I still think we would have to give up far too much for Karlsson, I also have injury concerns, also I don't want to have to put a W. and a E. on the Karlsson's jerseys and have never personally been to high on him... great player no doubt, just not my cup of tea... unless they take Reaves from us.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I hate pitt and I'm all too happy to hate on them but i honestly just dont see this as circumvention in a rule breaking way.

Give value to get value. They gave value for brass and gave more for tge 2M. I wish vgk wouldve gotten 2 picks considering how much this helps a potential SCF opponent. But i wont split hairs over an extra 6 or 7th

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
This makes the Reaves trade JR made with STL a lot worse. This confirms how bad of a deal that was. So, he felt like Reaves was needed to protect Sid. Gives up Sundqvist and a first ... to slide down 20 spots and gets Reaves. Now, Reaves is gone. Sorry, that experiment was a fail. Klim Kostin would look so good as a Penguin prospect. He would make people stop salivating over Daniel Sprong. Sorry, you can't sell me that was a good deal now.

I get tired of people that don’t know the facts. First off Sundqvist never would play for the Pens and I mean never be a regular starter in the top 12. At best he will be an okay 4th line center if he is lucky.

Second, Kostin was not the choice if we stayed at that spot, JR has said that himself. I still have no problem with that deal. I am a season ticket holder for years and all I will say is watch the games from last year to this year and you will see a big difference in how our players were treated. Last year our team was gooned up on almost a nightly basis. I have seen a dramatic difference with that this year which has kept our players health the best in years. Getting Oleksiak allows us to move him now.

Plus the return was great getting $2 million in cap space which allowed us to get Brassard. That’s $2 million more cap space next year which is a big advantage. That could be the difference in signing Hornqvist. I would be willing to drop 20 spots in the draft for $2 million more cap space any day of the week. I would do it again tomorrow for another $2 million. The team is in win now mode and you don’t understand how valuable that space is.

JR has been the best GM and it is not even close. He took over a team that was old and slow around the core and underachieving for years and had them turned into a young fast group around the core in a years time and won the past 2 Cups and has the number 1 contender again this year with the whole group likely back next year. People like you must be miserable to be around always trying to find something to complain about. Enjoy what you are seeing because JR has been magic.

Reactions: Kip Drordy

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Very creative deal. Rutherford does it again. Gets a terrific #3C at 60% cap hit at 40% retention.
Ottawa get a valuable 1st rd pick and a good goalie prospect without cap retention.
LV retaining for Reeves and a pick.

Looks good to me for all 3.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I hate pitt and I'm all too happy to hate on them but i honestly just dont see this as circumvention in a rule breaking way.

Give value to get value. They gave value for brass and gave more for tge 2M. I wish vgk wouldve gotten 2 picks considering how much this helps a potential SCF opponent. But i wont split hairs over an extra 6 or 7th
It's no so much Circumvention in a rule breaking way, but circumvention against the spirit of the rules kind of way.

I'd have preferred a decent couple of picks... instead we got one for Lindberg, and Reaves for taking on Salary... Value wasn't there for Vegas.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think Shero's been doing great in NJ, so I think a large part of his problems were being an inexperienced GM, which was combined with having waaaaaaay too much faith in a mediocre head coach.

As puzzling as the Reaves trade to some was, it's pretty clear that Rutherford decided with Sullivan that Reaves wasn't going to be part of the plans going forward and best to ship him out at the TDL, given the interest in him. :dunno:

You can say a lot about Rutherford, but it's pretty clear the dude knows when to cut bait.
Shero did a ton of great stuff to build up to the 2008 and 2009 Pens teams too. It was after he won that he started to struggle I think. Unlike JR, Shero absolutely did not know how to cut bait.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Very creative deal. Rutherford does it again. Gets a terrific #3C at 60% cap hit at 40% retention.
Ottawa get a valuable 1st rd pick and a good goalie prospect without cap retention.
LV retaining for Reeves and a pick.

Looks good to me for all 3.
Except for Vegas, who got a player they don't need, doesn't fit with the teams style and makes the team worse if we actually play him,

Awful trade for Vegas.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Shero did a ton of great stuff to build up to the 2008 and 2009 Pens teams too. It was after he won that he started to struggle I think. Unlike JR, Shero absolutely did not know how to cut bait.

Yeah. Ugh. Adams. Glass... GLADAMS.

Shero should get a ton of credit for modernizing a struggling, fresh off-of-bankruptcy franchise, overhauling the scouting and generally setting up a lot of the groundwork to make the Pens what they are now.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah. Ugh. Adams. Glass... GLADAMS.

Shero should get a ton of credit for modernizing a struggling, fresh off-of-bankruptcy franchise, overhauling the scouting and generally setting up a lot of the groundwork to make the Pens what they are now.
for sure. And he looks to be bringing to Devils back very well too. After he gets the team built up, I'll be curious to see if he's learned from what went wrong in Pittsburgh in terms of maintaining it.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I don't care about selling you on the deal. They had their board and took their guy. They got a bodyguard that both Malkin and Crosby lobbied for, and only had to move down 20 spots and give up a busted out prospect.

People make too big a deal out of things without knowing all the facts.

People just want to find reasons to whine I suppose.

Just got done posting about this guy also, ha ha. You brought up the same points. Everything JR has done has turned to gold even the Lovejoy trade which I did not like at first but then he was in our top 4 during our first Cup of the back to backs and Despres never stayed in the league mostly due to injury.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
We could honestly have zero picks this draft and we are fine. Most of these picks won't pan out and if they do it will be after our window of opportunity has closed. The Penguins are in a state now where we have a plethora of complimentary young players coming in to our system that we are good.

The thing people forget/overlook is that the Pens are so dominant in the college free agent market that it makes up for a lot of the draft picks they trade. When you basically supplement your draft with guys like Sheary and Aston-Reese and DiPauli it really helps compensate for the picks they deal.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The thing people forget/overlook is that the Pens are so dominant in the college free agent market that it makes up for a lot of the draft picks they trade. When you basically supplement your draft with guys like Sheary and Aston-Reese and DiPauli it really helps compensate for the picks they deal.

Don't forget Bellerive who's having a monster year.

Reactions: MrBrightside

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I get tired of people that don’t know the facts. First off Sundqvist never would play for the Pens and I mean never be a regular starter in the top 12. At best he will be an okay 4th line center if he is lucky.

Second, Kostin was not the choice if we stayed at that spot, JR has said that himself. I still have no problem with that deal. I am a season ticket holder for years and all I will say is watch the games from last year to this year and you will see a big difference in how our players were treated. Last year our team was gooned up on almost a nightly basis. I have seen a dramatic difference with that this year which has kept our players health the best in years. Getting Oleksiak allows us to move him now.

Plus the return was great getting $2 million in cap space which allowed us to get Brassard. That’s $2 million more cap space next year which is a big advantage. That could be the difference in signing Hornqvist. I would be willing to drop 20 spots in the draft for $2 million more cap space any day of the week. I would do it again tomorrow for another $2 million. The team is in win now mode and you don’t understand how valuable that space is.

JR has been the best GM and it is not even close. He took over a team that was old and slow around the core and underachieving for years and had them turned into a young fast group around the core in a years time and won the past 2 Cups and has the number 1 contender again this year with the whole group likely back next year. People like you must be miserable to be around always trying to find something to complain about. Enjoy what you are seeing because JR has been magic.

Are we allowed to (a) have hated the Reaves trade and (b) still think that Rutherford is a really good GM? Asking for a friend.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The biggest thing I can say about JR's mistakes is that not a single one of them has left the team in a position that he can't fix with relative ease. If the worst thing he's done as Pens GM to this point is miss out on Kostin, he's doing a pretty damn good job I'd say. Not a single one of his bad moves is currently hurting this team's chances at winning a 3rd Cup in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig