Confirmed Trade: [PIT/OTT/VGK] Brassard/Dunn/Lindberg/3rd for Gustavsson/Cole/1st/3rd for Reaves/4th | VGK ret. 40%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
This makes the Reaves trade JR made with STL a lot worse. This confirms how bad of a deal that was. So, he felt like Reaves was needed to protect Sid. Gives up Sundqvist and a first ... to slide down 20 spots and gets Reaves. Now, Reaves is gone. Sorry, that experiment was a fail. Klim Kostin would look so good as a Penguin prospect. He would make people stop salivating over Daniel Sprong. Sorry, you can't sell me that was a good deal now.

I don't care about selling you on the deal. They had their board and took their guy. They got a bodyguard that both Malkin and Crosby lobbied for, and only had to move down 20 spots and give up a busted out prospect.

People make too big a deal out of things without knowing all the facts.

People just want to find reasons to whine I suppose.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Capspace doesn't play hockey. If it's there to be used to acquire assets it should be. Very good move for Vegas in getting a useful depth rental and a mid round pick for nothing. 40% retention on Brassard won't hurt them next season as they can clear quite a few contracts in the offseason.
Exactly... people fail to realize that the reason Ottawa, a team not making the playoffs, opted to keep cole rather than ship him to vegas for the retention as initially planned was that a ton of teams called making offers on him before they realized cole was getting flipped....

After the league blocked it, the Sens then wanted to keep cole... that resulted in the deal being reworked as it is now...

Vegas was always getting a valuable commodity... and Reaves is far better suited for play in the west... its painfully obvious.... it totally makes sense why GMGM would want him, if only to control where he ends up if they too decided to deal him...

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
First off our D is stronger than the D that won the Cup last year and it is not even close. Letang was not himself coming back from injury but has been back to his old self since January 1st when the team took off which is not a coincidence. Having Letang makes this D much better and Maatta is much better this season than last year when he was skating in quicksand coming off injuries.

I think we should get another defenseman for depth but I love my top 4 compared to last years and I think we have 3 good options for the 3rd pairing. I just like having 4 because of the grind of the playoffs.

Getting Brassard is huge because he is a legit top 2 line Center and a #1 on many teams in the NHL just like he was with the Rangers. Brassard was the Rangers 2nd leading scorer 2 years in a row on a good team. That was only 2015 and 2016 seasons. Last year his numbers were down but that system was part of that. This year his numbers are pretty good with on pace for a 25 goal 50+ point season. This team is definitely better than the past 2 Pens teams that won the Cup. Anytime you can have a 3rd line of Guentzel-Brassard-Kessel that is the best 3rd line the Pens ever had. The Pens have scary depth with best Center depth ever and great winger depth also. The 4th line wingers will have skill also. Aston-Reese and Sheary played on the 4th line last night. That is scary depth. The D is better than last years version for sure. Murray back to his old self since coming back from the time off from his father passing going 9-0-1 in last 10 starts. Pens are the clear favorites and I believed that before this deal.

I disagree. Cole's departure leaves a major void. We have to insert Hunwick as a third D pair guy. He is worse than Ron Hainsay and that is saying something. Cole/Oleksiak was a pretty good third D pair. We now have a much weaker D now and have to move another asset to acquire one.

Reactions: NJPensFan5

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
This makes the Reaves trade JR made with STL a lot worse. This confirms how bad of a deal that was. So, he felt like Reaves was needed to protect Sid. Gives up Sundqvist and a first ... to slide down 20 spots and gets Reaves. Now, Reaves is gone. Sorry, that experiment was a fail. Klim Kostin would look so good as a Penguin prospect. He would make people stop salivating over Daniel Sprong. Sorry, you can't sell me that was a good deal now.
Lol at still whining about the Reaves trade

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
People who don't follow Pittsburgh wouldn't know that Ian Cole was a very valuable component of two Cup winning teams. Simply put, we don't win either if he isn't there. His play in the playoffs really helped us. But hey, the uneducated cats can keep going with their thought process.

That's all well and good but tell me what is bigger, the drop from Cole to Hunwick or the drop from Brassard to Rowney?

PittsburghPens8771

Oct 1, 2017
People who don't follow Pittsburgh wouldn't know that Ian Cole was a very valuable component of two Cup winning teams. Simply put, we don't win either if he isn't there. His play in the playoffs really helped us. But hey, the uneducated cats can keep going with their thought process.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Exactly... people fail to realize that the reason Ottawa, a team not making the playoffs, opted to keep cole rather than ship him to vegas for the retention as initially planned was that a ton of teams called making offers on him before they realized cole was getting flipped....

After the league blocked it, the Sens then wanted to keep cole... that resulted in the deal being reworked as it is now...

Vegas was always getting a valuable commodity... and Reaves is far better suited for play in the west... its painfully obvious.... it totally makes sense why GMGM would want him, if only to control where he ends up if they too decided to deal him...

They opted to keep Cole at the time being. He will be moved for an asset or two shortly. I don't think it has anything to do with the retention you are saying.

LastChancePrice

Dec 12, 2004
I i think this trade will go into the most complicated one to understand. It nearly feel like an alchemist formula lol.

I think the 40% retain in a favor from Vegas for thanking Pitts and excusing themself for having take Fleury! ;)

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
That's all well and good but tell me what is bigger, the drop from Cole to Hunwick or the drop from Brassard to Rowney?

Plus, Rutherford explicitly said this move was also to free up some cap space to go after another defenseman. Cole, some of us might remember, has not been exactly in Sullivan's good graces and it was looking doubtful he [Cole] would resign after this season. So, instead of losing a depth defenseman for nothing, you move him as a sweetener in a deal that brings back a much-needed piece, and you look for another guy to fill that 5/6 role (even though we've still got Ruhwedel & Hunwick) that doesn't have baggage with the coach.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Yea because all those 2nd round picks have served Buffalo well in the last few years.
Our franchise has been incompetent at scouting and development for a while. This has nothing to do with the topic here.
Think of how many times the words "draft pick," "futures," and "prospects" are engraved on the Stanley Cup.
And Cole will be nothing for you in 5 years time when Malkin, Kessel and Crosby cant carry your franchise anymore. If you needed Cole - yes spend a 2nd on it. Trust me, being at the bottom for a long period of time sux - I would know this well as a Buffalo fan. Spending a 2nd on a D that you wanted to get rid of and used mostly as a healthy scratch this season is ridiculous use of assets.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
we'll almost certainly add at least a rental D still too.

and that is the problem. We gave away four or five assets to get one player ... a pick and two suspects (Dunn sucks as a prospect and Lindberg is the second coming of Sundqvist), so we are throwing away another asset to get a depth Dman.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I was beginning to lose faith in Rutherford after such a poor off-season this past summer. He has redeemed himself and some.

Last edited:

paragon

May 5, 2010
I was pissed at the Lovejoy trade, but he had a big hand in helping them win a cup.

I guess you could nitpick the Perron trade, but he flipped him for Hags and he was huge in their 2016 run and he's playing lights out with Malkin now.

Simple facts are, JR is making a serious run at the best GM in Pens history right now, even above Craig Patrick, who I hold in very high regards.

His body of work is incredible since he signed on as their GM, and I am enjoying how he has shown up all the people who made the washed up, senile old man jokes at his expense.
I agree. Just the juxtaposition between the Pens, Kings and Hawks. In the aftermath of their cup victories Tallon, Bowman and Lombardi managed to ruin their teams by mismanaging the salary cap. Overpaying both their stars and role players. Pittsburgh has their core locked out for the future and hasn't overpaid anyone for winning the cup. As a result they haven't had to gut their roster to stay compliant, but actually have managed to do the opposite by having others retain salary for their impact players. It's simply amazing. I hate the Pens and it's disgusting to see them in such a good position to be so successful for as long as Crosby and Malkin remain effective.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
and that is the problem. We gave away four or five assets to get one player ... a pick and two suspects (Dunn sucks as a prospect and Lindberg is the second coming of Sundqvist), so we are throwing away another asset to get a depth Dman.

I think you're focused too much on the number of assets and not on the quality of said assets.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
They opted to keep Cole at the time being. He will be moved for an asset or two shortly. I don't think it has anything to do with the retention you are saying.

He was originally going to Vegas... that was what they were getting to retain on Brassard

Its been reported that the Sens got a ton of calls on cole so they wanted to hang on to him... all of this is pretty much out there already...

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Oh for sure. Just wasn't sure if anyone mentioned it in this thread. I didn't feel like reading 70 pages of pissing and moaning about how awful the pens are ☺

I know, homes. Just giving you some backup there.

It's crazy how a majority of this board seems think that trades are zero-sum propositions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad