Confirmed Trade: [PIT/OTT/VGK] Brassard/Dunn/Lindberg/3rd for Gustavsson/Cole/1st/3rd for Reaves/4th | VGK ret. 40%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
This is a massive thread (and I can't be bothered to go through every post)... It's probably been mentioned, but in case it hasn't, Brassard's real salary is significantly lower than his cap hit (I believe it's $3M).... Have to think that could also have been a factor here, to get a warm body (sounds like McPhee legitimately wanted Reaves) & a pick for what, $1.2M in real dollars isn't as bad a move as some are suggesting. I wouldn't have targeted Reaves either, but by all accounts, McPhee did and even got a pick to do so.... I doubt Vegas will be a cap team, and as a young franchise they probably want to keep their picks, so I actually get their rationale here

The key I think to understanding this trade from a Vegas perspective is to see that Reaves is not the pure cap dump he's perceived to be on HF

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Things I can't believe in this trade:

1. The Penguins have Derrick Brassard at $3 million as their 3C
2. Vegas was willing to retain money just for Ryan Reaves, which is mind boggling to me
3. Ottawa was willing to give up Brassard for basically only Gustavsson and a 1st

This trade is crazy

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
This is a massive thread (and I can't be bothered to go through every post)... It's probably been mentioned, but in case it hasn't, Brassard's real salary is significantly lower than his cap hit (I believe it's $3M).... Have to think that could also have been a factor here, to get a warm body (sounds like McPhee legitimately wanted Reaves) & a pick for what, $1.2M in real dollars isn't as bad a move as some are suggesting. I wouldn't have targeted Reaves either, but by all accounts, McPhee did and even got a pick to do so.... I doubt Vegas will be a cap team, and as a young franchise they probably want to keep their picks, so I actually get their rationale here

The key I think to understanding this trade from a Vegas perspective is to see that Reaves is not the pure cap dump he's perceived to be on HF

There are some GM's out there that seem to value Reaves. I hated the trade and hated having him here, but in fairness he played fairly well of late, is a good locker room guy, has a lot of playoff experience, and does add an element of toughness. I'm fine with him being gone but you're right, people do ignore the fact that some GM's value what he brings.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

2. Vegas was willing to retain money just for Ryan Reaves, which is mind boggling to me
3. Ottawa was willing to give up Brassard for basically only Gustavsson and a 1st

This trade is crazy

Omitted Cole.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015

This trade is crazy

vegas was also hoping to cockblock the jets. They scared... they know the jets are comin for em.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
JR = masterful GM
Can he do the Oil a favour? Since the rumour about Letestu to Pens is obviously done, can he somehow get Lucic to Vegas (retained by them or not, just get him there), and we'll send him the 4th he gave up. Then VGK can have Letestu.
Since this is very simple and even our meatball GM can follow this, we better get Winnipeg involved and shaft them somehow. I'm sure JR can work out that Reaves now goes to the Jets, and Trouba to Pens with Winnipeg retaining 65%! That way Vegas is happy, Pens are estatic and cup bound with an extra D, Oilers are happy and Winnipeg is well... Winnipeg again

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9

I’d much rather him as a pure cap dump, if he’s not that means we intend to use him and that makes us worse

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

This trade is crazy

Omitted Cole.

Cole isn't that valuable, though. Maybe you can get a 2nd for him?

Just seemed odd to omit a component of the trade.

Yes, maybe Ottawa gets a 2nd for Cole - would seem about right (in the right ballpark).

However, if so, then from a personal perspective, it would mean that my team (the Leafs) gave up a 2nd for him. Its possible I suppose, but Babcock seems to prefer a natural RHD.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
There are some GM's out there that seem to value Reaves. I hated the trade and hated having him here, but in fairness he played fairly well of late, is a good locker room guy, has a lot of playoff experience, and does add an element of toughness. I'm fine with him being gone but you're right, people do ignore the fact that some GM's value what he brings.

Fans don't see the value of Reeves because they are disconnected from the sport. Let them take 1% of the abuse that Sid takes and then let's re-ask about the "value" of a guy like Reaves.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Except for Vegas, who got a player they don't need, doesn't fit with the teams style and makes the team worse if we actually play him,

Awful trade for Vegas.
They probably should have got a 2nd rd pick for salary retention. Basically it was Reeves and a 4th rd pick for Lindberg + cap retention. I don't know what McPhee's thinking here is? Other than he values the 4th rd pick and maybe he sees value in Reeves. We shall see. But they can absorb salary for 2 years. A favour to Rutherford and perhaps a shot at Washington to make sure they do not make it past Pittsburg. Just speculating. But yeah on the surface they got the least back in the deal.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
most of them are out west and remembered how he played with the blues, not how he was misused with the pen's

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I don't know. This trade is great for Pitt. And if they win a cup again I'm sure Brassard contributes nicely. And on the other hand - if Tampa acquires a #1D like Karlsson or McDonough it's certainly a huge thing.

But in terms of playoff match up. If Pitt beats Tampa in playoffs it'll be because their best players outplayed Tampas best. With or without Brassard. Same for cup.

Yeah, no. At least not entirely.

When the Pens were at their best in 2015-16 some teams kept up with their top two lines. What no team could do was match their bottom six. If you could keep up with the Pens top six or even out score them by six or seven goals but the Pens' bottom six outscored yours by twenty goals in a series you lose.

The Pens have recreated that matchup problem again with this trade. They have speed and skill at wing to burn. No names like Sheary can become playoff stars with a center to compliment him. Pens have enough to fill four lines and more waiting in the wings like Sprong. Kessel is not even in their top six but is with Sheahan. And that is currently the line scoring the most. Try matching that kind of wave with your third and fourth pairing.

THAT is what Brassard enables.

Reactions: JetsUK

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Cole isn't that valuable, though. Maybe you can get a 2nd for him?

Alright so Cole isn't that valuable, can MAYBE get a 2nd for him.

He's definitely tradeable for probably a mid to high pick, he's a legitimately good player. Players like him are consistently traded for a 2nd+ at the deadline.

They'd probably just keep Cole, because Cole's a good player.

Cole is a legitimately good player, players like him constantly get traded for 2nd +.

Didn't get much sleep eh?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Alright so Cole isn't that valuable, can MAYBE get a 2nd for him.

Cole is a legitimately good player, players like him constantly get traded for 2nd +.

Didn't get much sleep eh?

I don't see how those statements contradict each other. He's a good player for sure and those guys are usually traded for a 2nd round pick or more, but it's a hardcore buyers market and 2nd round picks aren't that valuable. If it weren't so many teams selling, he'd definitely bring back a 2nd round pick, it's just iffy with the current market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad