Proposal: Philly and Montréal are ideal trade partners. Let's make things work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
To be clear to everyone here: I'm not bashing Carey Price necessarily.

There isn't a goalie in the NHL I'd pay 8 years, 84 million to, let alone give up assets for.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
No interest in Price whatsoever.

He just simply does not match our timeline.

If Price's contract was half the term, then we'd be all over it (and so would a lot of other teams and Montreal could be like a kid in a toy store with picking the best offer).

I'd imagine Montreal would have about as tough of a time moving Price as Vancouver did moving Luongo. That's not an indictment on the players talent, just contractual logistics.

Last edited:

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
To be clear to everyone here: I'm not bashing Carey Price necessarily.

There isn't a goalie in the NHL I'd pay 8 years, 84 million to, let alone give up assets for.

And that's what this all comes down to.

The 8/$84M figure is flat-out stupid... in both term (injury history) and AAV. No one would take on that contract without Montreal retaining, adding sweeteners, or taking back a similarly awful contract(s).

It's a shame, because Price is a top-tier player. This exorbitant contract has singlehandedly destroyed his value around the league. Good job, MB.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
There is no player in Habs organisation that would get Patrick or Ghost. As said 100 times before, Flyers are not interested in Price's contract even if he was best goalie in NHL atm. Which he is not.
I completely agree with that, all I’m saying is that Habs need one of these players in their lineup. If I were PHI I would not do it.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Enjoy getting kicked out of playoffs by Pittsburg for 8 years.
BURN

lel our Cup window will be opening when Pittsburgh & Washington's will be closing.

The top dogs of the metro in a couple of years will be Columbus & Philly.

Reactions: pmwlker

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Enjoy getting kicked out of playoffs by Pittsburg for 8 years.

This applies to every team in the East, with the exception of Tampa. Your attempt at a sick burn was poor and ill-informed. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
If you could, would you sign Carey Price as a Free Agent to the contract he has now?

I wouldn't.

Btw: Flyers made the playoffs bro - where are the Habs with the stud goalie?

You're not even swimming in mediocrity! That'd be an upgrade for y'all right now.
I know the Habs are shit, it doesn't take a genius to realize that. As for the flyers, it's going to take a goalie like Price if they ever hope to win anything anytime soon.

I hope you guys enjoyed your 6 game playoff run, as well as the many other short playoff runs to come. I also hope you guys enjoy the middling 1st round picks that likely won't turn into anything too special too! But hey, you still made the playoffs eh?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I know the Habs are ****, it doesn't take a genius to realize that. As for the flyers, it's going to take a goalie like Price if they ever hope to win anything anytime soon.

I hope you guys enjoyed your 6 game playoff run, as well as the many other short playoff runs to come. I also hope you guys enjoy the middling 1st round picks that likely won't turn into anything too special too! But hey, you still made the playoffs eh?

Swing and a miss! The playoffs were a happy bonus to a season of incorporating top prospects into the lineup (not enough in most posters' opinions) and got youngsters some playoff experience. With the infusion of talent that will continue for the next couple of years, we can reasonably expect stronger showings in the playoffs.

Full disclosure: I disliked the Elliott signing, which was further exposed with the (entirely expected) Neuvirth injury and the (unexpected) full-season loss of Stolarz. I'd love to get a top goaltender to come in for 2-3 years and simultaneously help the Flyers to compete at a higher level and let Hart and Sandstrom prove that they have the potential to excel in the NHL.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
Swing and a miss! The playoffs were a happy bonus to a season of incorporating top prospects into the lineup (not enough in most posters' opinions) and got youngsters some playoff experience. With the infusion of talent that will continue for the next couple of years, we can reasonably expect stronger showings in the playoffs.

Full disclosure: I disliked the Elliott signing, which was further exposed with the (entirely expected) Neuvirth injury and the (unexpected) full-season loss of Stolarz. I'd love to get a top goaltender to come in for 2-3 years and simultaneously help the Flyers to compete at a higher level and let Hart and Sandstrom prove that they have the potential to excel in the NHL.

Also, we are pretty pleased with having Konecny (drafted 24th) and Sanheim (18th) on the team.

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
Carey Price is the missing key for the Flyers to have success in the playoffs.

3 thru 6 defensemen
Bottom 6 forwards
Coach

Also the missing pieces for playoff success. We need a stopgap until one of the prospects assumes the role as number one. Of course assuming one of them does. Spending 10 million per season for the next however many years on a goaltender is not what Hextall has indicated he’s willing to do. His drafting of all the goalie prospects indicates to me he would rather draft and groom his guy instead. If Price had 2/3 years left on his contract it MIGHT interest Hextall.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018

Swing and a miss on my point! That's lovely that you guys were able to incorporate your young guys into a playoff run, but it's not going to make much of any difference when it comes to winning playoffs series' and moving forward in the playoffs. Your goalies are dog**** , and there never is any guarantee that Hart and Stolarz will ever pan out the way you may think they are going to (Example: Zachary Fucale)

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I know the Habs are ****, it doesn't take a genius to realize that. As for the flyers, it's going to take a goalie like Price if they ever hope to win anything anytime soon.

Really? We seem to have decent success with mid round picks. You've likely heard of some of them. Claude Giroux ring a bell?

This coming from a guy who couldn't get a top 3 pick to turn out.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Really? We seem to have decent success with mid round picks. You've likely heard of some of them. Claude Giroux ring a bell?

This coming from a guy who couldn't get a top 3 pick to turn out.
Lol I don't recall being the guy put in charge of drafting and developing that 3rd overall pick, but that was a good effort still! That supposed 'bust' of a pick, when given playing time, has hit 40 points in 4 straight seasons, 50 points in two of those, 30 goals in one of them, and is lights out on the power play when he gets the chance. Sounds like we should try to flip him for a 3rd rounder or something eh?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Lol I don't recall being the guy put in charge of drafting and developing that 3rd overall pick, but that was a good effort still! That supposed 'bust' of a pick, when given playing time, has hit 40 points in 4 straight seasons, 50 points in two of those, 30 goals in one of them, and is lights out on the power play when he gets the chance. Sounds like we should try to flip him for a 3rd rounder or something eh?

He was projected a 1C. He isnt that.

I didnt call him a bust, but he certainly didnt turn out as expected, which is what I did say.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
Swing and a miss on my point! That's lovely that you guys were able to incorporate your young guys into a playoff run, but it's not going to make much of any difference when it comes to winning playoffs series' and moving forward in the playoffs. Your goalies are dog**** , and there never is any guarantee that Hart and Stolarz will ever pan out the way you may think they are going to (Example: Zachary Fucale)

I know your nose is out of joint but please do try to address my response fully. I addressed your ad hominem about expecting mediocrity in the playoffs with context of a team adding talent through their deep prospect pool. And I think most here will consider that playoff experience will help in the long run for deeper runs.

You're right that no goaltender prospect is guaranteed to pan out, which I why I am glad that the Flyers have multiple options. That being said, as I posted, I hope Hextall has plans to explore additional short-term options.

In a vacuum, Price would be great to have on the Flyers. I love in the Montreal area and thus have a steady dose of Canadiens games and team coverage. Price continues to be an elite NHL goaltender. But there are too many issues that don't fit, primarily a contract that would be prohibitive to the building process in which the Flyers are currently engaged.

Reactions: Chinatown88

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
I know your nose is out of joint but please do try to address my response fully. I addressed your ad hominem about expecting mediocrity in the playoffs with context of a team adding talent through their deep prospect pool. And I think most here will consider that playoff experience will help in the long run for deeper runs.

You're right that no goaltender prospect is guaranteed to pan out, which I why I am glad that the Flyers have multiple options. That being said, as I posted, I hope Hextall has plans to explore additional short-term options.

In a vacuum, Price would be great to have on the Flyers. I love in the Montreal area and thus have a steady dose of Canadiens games and team coverage. Price continues to be an elite NHL goaltender. But there are too many issues that don't fit, primarily a contract that would be prohibitive to the building process in which the Flyers are currently engaged.
My nose is perfectly in joint, thank you. It's lovely that most people here will believe that, but that is what is to be expected when it's a vast majority of Philly fans. A ton of Habs fans believe that Weber can land Nylander+/Marner+ but, hey ho, doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Theres a much more likely chance of Hart becoming a NHL goaltender than there is Nylander being moved for Weber. I dont even think thats disputable at this point.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Carey Price is the missing key for the Flyers to have success in the playoff. The Flyers management need to stop to try to patch the problem between the pipes and acquire the best of the best. Carey Price is exactly that, he would absolutely thrive in Philadelphia will less media and fans pressure. Contract is a problem for sure, and the Canadiens management isnt competent enough to trade him - but it's a matter of time before they realize they are 3-4 years away from competition. They should absolutely look to trade him with all the youngster tenders down the pipe (Primeau, Hawkey, Fucale, Lindgren, McNiven).

Price value isnt very high because of his bad season, but he just has too much talent not to bounce back next year. Philly have lot of pieces that would interest Montréal with all their young kid at the blueline and down the middle.

Montréal can also afford to take back bad contracts like Jori Lehtera, Dale Weise.

No matter what I propose, I will get flame but I'm gonna try and throw something to build around :

To Montréal:
Brian Elliott
Jori Lehtera
Dale Weise
Travis Koneckny
Samuel Morin
(12M$ in cap number)

To Philly:
Carey Price
(10M$ in cap number)
Just plain stupid...Montreal gets WAY more for a proven MVP.

MalkinsPierogi

Aug 15, 2016
Indiana, PA
No way Habs and Philly make that trade...If Price goes, a true #1 Centre comes back...and no, we don't want Giroux.

Goalies have very little value. If Carey Price were to ever be traded, it's likely he'd return a lot less than a "true #1 center" unless it was along with weber for an older C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad