Proposal: Philly and Montréal are ideal trade partners. Let's make things work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal is a team built behind the great goaltending wins cups idea. His contract is a reflection of that. Right or wrong this is obviously Not the organizational philosophy of the Philadelphia flyers. I just don't see this kind of mid rebuild adjusting in a hard cap league.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I think fans of the Habs are looking at Price trades incorrectly. IF and only if, the Canadians are trading Price for long term cap relief they will never get true hockey playing value for him. From that view, the trade post makes sense, with short term cap going to the Habs.
But if the Habs truly be Price is their guy, he must be, otherwise they would not have made the trade, yeah the Habs don't make the trade. I certainly don't think the Flyers do either with their stable of young NHLer goalies coming (hopefully).

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
I'm so sick of hearing about this 'immovable contract' bs, Philly can enjoy swimming in mediocrity and waiting for their prized goalie prospects to pan out (or not)

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I'm so sick of hearing about this 'immovable contract' bs, Philly can enjoy swimming in mediocrity and waiting for their prized goalie prospects to pan out (or not)

And Montreal can e joy wallowing in less than mediocrity with their "worlds best goalie" #1d", and "top goal scorer in the league".

Posts like this are hilarious.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

If you could, would you sign Carey Price as a Free Agent to the contract he has now?

I wouldn't.

Btw: Flyers made the playoffs bro - where are the Habs with the stud goalie?

You're not even swimming in mediocrity! That'd be an upgrade for y'all right now.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
By waiting for Carter Hart, arguably a top 3 goalie prospect in the world. If he doesn't pan out, we also have Sandstrom and Ustimenko we're high on.

Why do I need to explain this to you anyway? We aren't interested in Price, and other posters have discussed in detail as to why over, and over, and over again in this thread. If we target a goalie, we'd target a decent starter with 2-3 years left on his contract at a reasonable rate, which obviously isn't Price. We can't afford to pay Price's contract, he has zero value to us with that price tag considering other players we will have to sign in the future.

What is so hard for you to comprehend? I mean, thanks for telling us what we need, even though you obviously have zero clue as to the Flyers situation. Want to keep Price? That's fine. Want to trade him? That's fine too, but you'll have to find a different trade partner.

Whatever, you don't want Price. I just find it hilarious how the flyers have gone literally decades without a capable starting goalie. And when they seemingly attain one, they let them get away (Officer Bob) before they emerge. The lack of desire from the fanbase to address their biggest problem in franchise history makes me laugh.

Oh cool, so you're going to wait for 2 of your BEST forwards in Giroux an Voracek to get older and move further away from their primes, so some shot in the dark prospect goalies can emerge? "Arguably a top 3 goalie prospect"? Hart hasn't played a single pro game, and you're already given him the nod to be the one to save the day? Even if he becomes a goalie capable of leading a team to a cup, how far away is he from being an NHL starting goalie anyways? Are you going to give a random number? Because that's all you got.

The best young goalies today, didn't become solid starters until they were between 23 and 25. I'm talking Helle, Gibson, Vasilevskiy, etc. Hart is 19 now.
How often does a top prospect goalie NOT end up living up to their hype/potential? Pretty damn often. But okay, Harts your guy...i'm sure the islanders were confident when they got dipietro, or when the jackets got pascal leclaire, or when the panthers got markstrom, or when the senators got lehner...etc, etc. But that's cool, you have a ton of goalies if Hart doesn't work out...like .902 in swedish league Flex Sandstrom. Or some Belarussian who gave up nearly 4 goals a game in the russian junior league playoffs.

The Cup window is closing on the Flyers and here you are lollygagging, waiting for prospects and bandaid goalies. Okay great, go give Lehtonen a 3 year deal and let me know how you feel when you either.
A) miss the playoffs
B) get booted in the first round

But it's okay, because Carter Hart will be here in 3 to 4 years! Yup and Giroux will be 34, Voracek will be 32, Simmonds will be a shell...but it's okay because you got konecny, couturier, patrick, ghost and provorov? Is that a cup winning core? Who the heck knows. All i know is that the flyers are a literal top goalie away NOW from being a legit cup contender TODAY. But horrible goaltending ruins any chances of them being a threat. Oh well, not my problem.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Whatever, you don't want Price. I just find it hilarious how the flyers have gone literally decades without a capable starting goalie. And when they seemingly attain one, they let them get away (Officer Bob) before they emerge. The lack of desire from the fanbase to address their biggest problem in franchise history makes me laugh.

Oh cool, so you're going to wait for 2 of your BEST forwards in Giroux an Voracek to get older and move further away from their primes, so some shot in the dark prospect goalies can emerge? "Arguably a top 3 goalie prospect"? Hart hasn't played a single pro game, and you're already given him the nod to be the one to save the day? Even if he becomes a goalie capable of leading a team to a cup, how far away is he from being an NHL starting goalie anyways? Are you going to give a random number? Because that's all you got.

The best young goalies today, didn't become solid starters until they were between 23 and 25. I'm talking Helle, Gibson, Vasilevskiy, etc. Hart is 19 now.
How often does a top prospect goalie NOT end up living up to their hype/potential? Pretty damn often. But okay, Harts your guy...i'm sure the islanders were confident when they got dipietro, or when the jackets got pascal leclaire, or when the panthers got markstrom, or when the senators got lehner...etc, etc. But that's cool, you have a ton of goalies if Hart doesn't work out...like .902 in swedish league Flex Sandstrom. Or some Belarussian who gave up nearly 4 goals a game in the russian junior league playoffs.

The Cup window is closing on the Flyers and here you are lollygagging, waiting for prospects and bandaid goalies. Okay great, go give Lehtonen a 3 year deal and let me know how you feel when you either.
A) miss the playoffs

But it's okay, because Carter Hart will be here in 3 to 4 years! Yup and Giroux will be 34, Voracek will be 32, Simmonds will be a shell...but it's okay because you got konecny, couturier, patrick, ghost and provorov? Is that a cup winning core? Who the heck knows. All i know is that the flyers are a literal top goalie away NOW from being a legit cup contender TODAY. But horrible goaltending ruins any chances of them being a threat. Oh well, not my problem.

Bro, you have literally no idea about the state of the Philadelphia Flyers. I think the only thing you got right is that Jake and Giroux are getting older.

Everything else was a travesty not even worth dissecting at the moment.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Bro, you have literally no idea about the state of the Philadelphia Flyers. I think the only thing you got right is that Jake and Giroux are getting older.

Everything else was a travesty not even worth dissecting at the moment.
I watch quite a bit of the flyers. You're going to blame all your problems on the coach. It's always the coaches fault in Philly. "You don't know the state of the flyers bro, our coach is like the worst!" Hah

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Why would the Flyers take on 10 years of Carey Price and a monster contract when they have the best goalie prospect in their system since Hextall or Lindbergh in Carter Hart? The only deal I can see between the Flyers and Canadiens involves Max Pacioretty. Why? Because the Habs have been supposedly shopping him for 892 years and the Flyers have been rumored to be interested for 891 of them.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA

A) miss the playoffs

Your post is exactly why the Flyers need to stay away from Price.
Other than Price controlling his own destiny which you fail to mention he is no longer an elite goalie or difference maker.
His numbers are pedestrian.
Not sure why Montreal decided to hand him such an outrageous contract which actually includes a NMC.
The Flyers have many other options to acquire a franchise goalie. For a minute I thought you were talking about finding a franchise QB. Then I may agree with your post however Philly has Wentz.
And when that trade was made controversy surrounded the city. But goalies aren't QBS.
No need for Price who can't be traded without approval anyways.

Razzdazzle1

Apr 25, 2017
Not all Hab fans. OP is garbage.

Philadelphia can find better and cheaper elsewhere, it's obvious.

lol keep telling yourself that. They've been trying since Lindros era.

How tf do you think they've ended up with Elliot and Neuvirth?

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I watch quite a bit of the flyers. You're going to blame all your problems on the coach. It's always the coaches fault in Philly. "You don't know the state of the flyers bro, our coach is like the worst!" Hah

Oh no, we have/had much bigger problems than just the coach. Hakstol is an idiot for sure, but fact is that we didn't/don't have the depth to compete yet. It's clear as day and so many of my fellow Flyers fans don't seem to realize that; they think playing the kids solves everything (it definitely doesn't).

Outside of our top 6, we had no scoring and some useless players (Jori Lehtera, for one). On defense, the vast majority was under the age of 23...defense is way too young despite being super talented. Goaltender isn't good -- we have average at best goaltending.

We had zero chance to seriously compete...but we WILL compete in a year or so, depending on if Hextall makes the moves I expect him to. You mentioned a closing window: do you realize our team is super youthful? Even if Giroux retires tomorrow, we have tons of up and comers. We also have two 1sts that we can utilize to added weapons or just draft some forwards. We're in a GREAT position, actually.

So I say again: You don't know the state of the Flyers, bro.

Reactions: WestrnPhlyr

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
It's not that we don't want to address the problem, it's that we don't want Price's contract. We literally could not be clearer.
Oh cool, so you're going to wait for 2 of your BEST forwards in Giroux an Voracek to get older and move further away from their primes, so some shot in the dark prospect goalies can emerge? "Arguably a top 3 goalie prospect"? Hart hasn't played a single pro game, and you're already given him the nod to be the one to save the day?
That's why I said arguable top 3 goalie PROSPECT. I never said he was a proven pro player :laugh:
Even if he becomes a goalie capable of leading a team to a cup, how far away is he from being an NHL starting goalie anyways? Are you going to give a random number? Because that's all you got.

How often does a top prospect goalie NOT end up living up to their hype/potential? Pretty damn often.
Is Hart a guarantee? No, and I didn't say that nor insinuate that. We would be interested in a goalie to branch to Hart (or another young goalie), but taking on Price's albatross that your GM foolishly handed out is not in our best interest.
But okay, Harts your guy...i'm sure the islanders were confident when they got dipietro, or when the jackets got pascal leclaire, or when the panthers got markstrom, or when the senators got lehner...etc, etc. But that's cool, you have a ton of goalies if Hart doesn't work out...like .902 in swedish league Flex Sandstrom. Or some Belarussian who gave up nearly 4 goals a game in the russian junior league playoffs.
Not sure what this has to do with the Flyers not wanting Price's contract, but ok.
A) miss the playoffs
And LOL, here it is, the dumbest part of the post. This shows you literally have no idea what you're talking about; the Flyers window hasn't even opened yet, let alone the "cup window is closing on the Flyers". No Flyers fan expected us to be contenders this year, and most of us aren't expecting that to happen for another ~2-3 years or so.

Also, I'd take our current trash goalies with their contracts over Price, thank you very much.

When the Flyers are contenders, Giroux and Voracek likely aren't going to be the key players on the team, but rather secondary scorers. Most Flyers fans want Simmonds traded this summer, and he most likely wouldn't even be re-signed past this year. And the Flyers ARE NOT a top goalie away from being a contender now, have you seen our lack of depth? Our awful defense (outside of Provorov, Ghost, and Sanheim)?

You literally made that long post talking about the Flyers and their needs, when you're so tremendously off base that its hilarious. You have no idea what you're talking about, so congratulations: you played yourself.

Last edited:

Razzdazzle1

Apr 25, 2017
Because we didn't want to pay 10.5 million for a goaltender, so we settled for stop-gaps until our prospects develop.

lol Flyers have been project developing goalies for 20+ years.

If you get a chance at a #1 like Price you jump on it. Especially if all you have to five up is Konecny and a bunch of side pieces

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
lol Flyers have been project developing goalies for 20+ years.

If you get a chance at a #1 like Price you jump on it. Especially if all you have to five up is Konecny and a bunch of side pieces

I don't think there's any team in the league, aside from Montreal it seems, that would sign Carey Price to his 8 year, 84 million contract.

Carey Price isn't getting traded unless you're looking to take back another garbage contract. I'd suggest Shea Weber, but the Habs already have him.

Also: Are you saying developing your own prospects (instead of mass-signing/trading) is now BAD? I'm just asking to gauge whether or not if you're clueless about the Flyers, or just hockey in-general.

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
The cup window for the team isn’t even cracked yet. How exactly is it closing?? Perhaps best not to discuss teams you clearly know very little about organizationally.

Razzdazzle1

Apr 25, 2017
I don't think there's any team in the league, aside from Montreal it seems, that would sign Carey Price to his 8 year, 84 million contract.

Carey Price isn't getting traded unless you're looking to take back another garbage contract. I'd suggest Shea Weber, but the Habs already have him.

Also: Are you saying developing your own prospects (instead of mass-signing/trading) is now BAD? I'm just asking to gauge whether or not if you're clueless about the Flyers, or just hockey in-general.

I'm saying the Flyers have had some amazing Teams over the past 20 years. Yet, Goalie has ALWAYS been the weakest link. Horrible Goalie development and horrible drafting.

Of course building from within is a great idea, but not so sure the Flyers best strategy is risking another 10+ years of mediocrity praying and hoping a goalie finally pans out.

Lol but good luck with Elliot and Neuvirth.. and future Matt Murray that 1 of your prospects of course has to be. The rest of the league thanks you for keeping Konecny and not acquiring Price.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Hart and Sandstrom are a pair of the best goalie prospects the Flyers have had since Boucher and Pelletier. Unfortunately for the Flyers, neither Boucher or Pelletier turned into elite goaltenders, although Boucher had a very lengthy, and at times successful, career. He was a good, solid NHL goalie.

In this case, though, Hart is better at this point in his development than Boucher was. He is also a superior prospect to Boucher in every sense. I'm not saying that Hart is a lock to be the next Price or Vasilevskiy or Murray even, but there's no denying he's a top-end goalie prospect - and Sandstrom isn't too far behind.

All of that said, Hextall is definitely not the type of GM who will sacrifice his long-term vision by making a bold and pricey move like bringing in Carey Price. I don't even see him making a play for Holtby, if he gets shopped. I see him trying to find a solid goalie for 2 years on the cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->