Player Discussion Phillip Danault II: 2nd C? edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
There's nothing wrong with hoping guys exceed expectations, it's when you bank on them exceeding expectations is when you run into problems, we can't go into the season without a #1C and expect to compete, basically the story of Montreal for the last 2 decades and we've learnt nothing.

Chucky being a great #2 and Danault being a great #3 is what we need to be successful

Chucky was scoring at a 70-80 point pace from February to December of 2016, 45 points in 46 games, with a +9 to boot.

And you want us to have a guy EVEN BETTER than him to be #1. No Kidding that such a lineup would be powerful. So Yeah, sure, go for it, but how do you do it without creating two or three more holes in the process? How many 75 point centremen are available, and what is the price to acquire them?

A hybrid solution is to target a decent #2 like a Ryan Nugent-Hopkins or Jordan Staal to slot in BETWEEN Galchenyuk and Danault on the depth chart. That should be a much more affordable acquisition that doesn't bust up the team's fragile structure.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I agree. But then go look at carbo's stats in junior. He'd be a top ten pick today. Carbo had far more offensive ability than pd.

Different era.

I'll take pd as number 2 c this year because Habs have no one else. And He's solid on d. Could be worse.

But he is not the long term solution to top 2 c.

And Chucky is not ready for number 1. Danault by default will have to be number one because he is better at defense than Chucky.

Welcome to mb world.

I think we can all agree on this.

I think it would be easier for Danault to move up to second line center if he was left alone to anchor the third line, it is the NHL and the competition is the best in the world and it takes time to progress and get used to the speed at which things happen. I am no scout by any means but watching him last year against weaker competition (3rd line) I liked what he was able to bring but once he was moved up to play with Radulov I felt like it was more about Radulovs ability to carry the line as a creative winger than it was about Danaults ability to distribute as a center and carry the line. He was more effective digging for pucks and behind the net work with Radulov doing the puck distribution, it was in my opinion a line that he had to face talent too high above his own level and he looked out of place. I really like the player but he will get unfairly criticised not because he is a bad player but because he is slotted to high in the line up, give him the 3rd line all year and he will have more success.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Chucky was scoring at a 70-80 point pace from February to December of 2016, 45 points in 46 games, with a +9 to boot.

And you want us to have a guy EVEN BETTER than him to be #1. No Kidding that such a lineup would be powerful. So Yeah, sure, go for it, but how do you do it without creating two or three more holes in the process? How many 75 point centremen are available, and what is the price to acquire them?

A hybrid solution is to target a decent #2 like a Ryan Nugent-Hopkins or Jordan Staal to slot in BETWEEN Galchenyuk and Danault on the depth chart. That should be a much more affordable acquisition that doesn't bust up the team's fragile structure.

I don't get caught up on paces, he finished the year basically not even as a C and our GM and coach don't know if he is one so pencilling in him as a lock to be a 70-80 pt C when he hasn't cracked 60 pts in a season or barely even 40 pts exclusively as a C is wishful thinking.

I'd be happy with a 65 pt C who can play 200 ft

RNH or Staal would both be 1st line centres on our roster, not saying they are #1Cs

You acquire them by not being cheap and trying to be half pregnant, you mortgage your future to get one instead of trying to build through the draft but ice a competitive product and end up doing a crappy job of both

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I don't get caught up on paces, he finished the year basically not even as a C and our GM and coach don't know if he is one so pencilling in him as a lock to be a 70-80 pt C when he hasn't cracked 60 pts in a season or barely even 40 pts exclusively as a C is wishful thinking.

If I recall, he did end the year at center. When the Habs were facing elimination and had trouble scoring, CJ put Galchenyuk between Pacioretty and Radulov. It could have been too little, too late. However, when Galchenyuk showed signs of life in Game-5 of the series, giving everyone the first glimpse of the pre-injury Galchenyuk, that's when CJ put him 1C.

I'd be happy with a 65 pt C who can play 200 ft

Same here. I don't mind a 1C who gets less points. But if his addition to the team helps others increase their production, then it comes off as if Habs have a 75/80-point 1C.

RNH or Staal would both be 1st line centres on our roster, not saying they are #1Cs

You acquire them by not being cheap and trying to be half pregnant, you mortgage your future to get one instead of trying to build through the draft but ice a competitive product and end up doing a crappy job of both

Would like if either of them were here. RNH, in particular. I would be happy if Habs even trade for Giroux if they can get Philly to retain salary.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I would like if either of them were here. RNH, in particular. I would be happy if Habs even trade for Giroux if they can get Philly to retain salary.

Giroux with retained salary, say at $6M, is still a gamble. If we could acquire him for secondary or future assets, fine. If the Price is Pacioretty plus two good roster players or 1st round picks, then no.

RNH should be available for a fair price. Possibly Jordan Staal too. You only find out if you ask.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Giroux with retained salary, say at $6M, is still a gamble. If we could acquire him for secondary or future assets, fine. If the Price is Pacioretty plus two good roster players or 1st round picks, then no.

RNH should be available for a fair price. Possibly Jordan Staal too. You only find out if you ask.

I'll give Chiarelli and Francis a call later today to ask what the price would be for these players. :sarcasm:

As for Giroux for Pacioretty+, I'm hanging up the phone, as well.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Don't get the RNH love. If he was drafted 10th OVA no one would want him at 6 Mill for 4 more years with his SWAFT play.

Danault had more EV points, 3 less overall points last year. And RNH played 3rd most TOI and 4th most at EV so he wasn't a "3rd liner".

Both were taken in the same draft both are the same age. If Danault went 1st OVA and RNH 26th how many would be jumping to add his 6 Mill to our payroll?

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Don't get the RNH love. If he was drafted 10th OVA no one would want him at 6 Mill for 4 more years with his SWAFT play.

Danault had more EV points, 3 less overall points last year. And RNH played 3rd most TOI and 4th most at EV so he wasn't a "3rd liner".

Both were taken in the same draft both are the same age. If Danault went 1st OVA and RNH 26th how many would be jumping to add his 6 Mill to our payroll?

Hopkins got 52 points in 62 games at 18 years old in the NHL! I love Danault but come on...

Get him out of Edmonton and he'll thrive.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Hopkins got 52 points in 62 games at 18 years old in the NHL! I love Danault but come on...

Get him out of Edmonton and he'll thrive.

and yakupov had 31 points in 48 games as an 18 year old.

I see a Pleks future for the guy, 50-60 points max maybe.

If he had a shorter contract I would be all for it, but if in 2 or 3 years he is only get 45/50 points it will be looked at as another bad contract.

Danault is no RNH for sure, but the dollar difference between the 2 closes the gap.

Just another bad contract given out by the old EDM regime.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
and yakupov had 31 points in 48 games as an 18 year old.

I see a Pleks future for the guy, 50-60 points max maybe.

If he had a shorter contract I would be all for it, but if in 2 or 3 years he is only get 45/50 points it will be looked at as another bad contract.

Danault is no RNH for sure, but the dollar difference between the 2 closes the gap.

Just another bad contract given out by the old EDM regime.

You compare RNH to Yakupov? Really?

The guy is only 24, he has better numbers than Chucky! Chucky is apparently going to explode soon but RNH is already done developing?

If Bergevin can get him he should do it.

Reactions: Andrei79

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Danault does not look as determined to prove himself this year vs last year IMO. He started the year last year on the 4th line and quickly earned a top 9 center role for us which was a nice surprise. However, I would like to see him step up and take the next level instead of relaxing now that he is a "regular" in our top 9 centers. We need to keep him hungry for ice time just like we are doing with Galchenyuk.

I'd like to see Danault play with Patch as this proves us a go to line in all situations and they are responsible at both ends of the ice. I like Patch and Drouin but we have no 2nd line then. Separating them will allow us to have 2 lines

Patch / Danault / Byron
Galchenyuk / Drouin / Lehkonen
Hudon / Pleky / Gallagher
DLR / Shaw / Mitchell

Moving parts are Byron, Galchenyuk, Hudon, Gallagher
Patch / Danault / ????
???? / Drouin / Lehkonen
???? / Pleky / ????

Last edited:

bryan1966

Time for some fast & skilled hockey!
Nov 24, 2011
New Hampshire
Danault is just another over rated player on the habs, who was given ice time with the top players last year. Radulov made everyone look better on his line, creating space and being a puck possession beast. Don't worry our French media will keep Danault in the top 9.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Danault has been fine, he's been playing as our third line centre with hardly any PP time so it isn't that surprising he has only one point.

I'd like to see the Byron - Danault - Shaw line tried again, they played only once in the pre-season but they looked great together.

Reactions: Andy

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

Jul 6, 2016
Danault has been fine, he's been playing as our third line centre with hardly any PP time so it isn't that surprising he has only one point.

I'd like to see the Byron - Danault - Shaw line tried again, they played only once in the pre-season but they looked great together.

The problem is that Patches cannot play with any centre BUT Danault. I am sure Danault would be very good with Byron and Shaw or Lehkonen.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Danault is probably one of our most underrated players, ideally we have another offensive centre and he played on our third line but he's greatly improved the last year and has filled in solidly on our second line while being solid defensively.

He is 72nd in the league since the start of last year for even strength points with 46 in 101 games, this is more than guys like McKinnon, Couture, Turris, Nylander, Perry, Giroux, Bergeron, Johansen, Duchene and Thornton to put it into perspective.

Reactions: scrubadam

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Danault is probably one of our most underrated players, ideally we have another offensive centre and he played on our third line but he's greatly improved the last year and has filled in solidly on our second line while being solid defensively.

He is 72nd in the league since the start of last year for even strength points with 46 in 101 games, this is more than guys like McKinnon, Couture, Turris, Nylander, Perry, Giroux, Bergeron, Johansen, Duchene and Thornton to put it into perspective.

Danault is NOT a third line center. He puts up 40 points with no PP time at all, thats 2nd line borderline 1st line production at ES.

Reactions: scrubadam

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Danault is NOT a third line center. He puts up 40 points with no PP time at all, thats 2nd line borderline 1st line production at ES.

I didn't say he is a third line centre. I said ideally he played on our third line, this is due to us not having a legit #1 centre at the moment and we could use another offensive guy down the middle.

Danault could play third line with guys like Byron/Shaw and would still be productive offensively.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I didn't say he is a third line centre. I said ideally he played on our third line, this is due to us not having a legit #1 centre at the moment and we could use another offensive guy down the middle.

Danault could play third line with guys like Byron/Shaw and would still be productive offensively.

Ideally wed have Tavares on thr 4th line, but thats not the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad