Player Discussion Phillip Danault II: 2nd C? edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey

Jul 17, 2004
Ontario
I'm hoping for a Pacioretty/Gallagher/Byron-esque steal. Something sleuthy like 6 x 3.75.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Danault is a RFA this off season and will be 25 this February. What contract do you think we should sign him for? He’s a key piece in the middle 6 centre for us!

6 Years @ $4.5M AAV?
Too much, unless he can get 40ish points again, then he's worth between 3.5M and 4.5M. I doubt he gets that much this season. He's been pretty cold lately, and Pacioretty isn't helping him.

Mario le Magnifique

Dec 6, 2007
My basement
A good comparable for Danault is Brandon Sutter who is at 4.375 on a 5 year deal. And honestly I'm not sure Vancouver is loving that deal right now.

Danault is cementing himself as a legitimate 2nd line center, but I would still be very hesitant about signing him long term. Like Shaw he's useful, but not useful enough to overpay for. I'm not sure I'd want to go longer then 4 years with him.
I don't think he is a 2nd line center. He just dosen't have playmaking skills. He's a blue collar, hard worker, and we all like them, but let's be realistic. He creates chances with his efforts and work ethic, and not with his vision and instincts. To be a 2nd line center you need a bit of natural playmaking abilities. IMHO anyways.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
We got Danault and a 2nd in 2019 for Weise and Fleishman...

Pace so far: 47 points.

Not so bad for a great young two-way player.

Of course if you have Crosby and Malkin, he is a third line center.
But half of second line centers in the league are not really better in offense.

The day Danault will be a third line center, we will be among top contenders and if he can reach 50-60 points, he is a second line center.

BTW, he does have play making habilities. If not, how come he is second in assists and third in points, ahead of his linemates?

Reactions: scrubadam

Mario le Magnifique

Dec 6, 2007
My basement
We got Danault and a 2nd in 2019 for Weise and Fleishman...

Pace so far: 47 points.

Not so bad for a great young two-way player.

Of course if you have Crosby and Malkin, he is a third line center.
But half of second line centers in the league are not really better in offense.

The day Danault will be a third line center, we will be among top contenders and if he can reach 50-60 points, he is a second line center.

BTW, he does have play making habilities. If not, how come he is second in assists and third in points, ahead of his linemates?

Most of the team have been underproducing and shooting at a very low %. Pretty sure he drops down the depth chart when the other better more talented players fire on all cylinders. That said, Danault is, much like Eller, a valuable piece on a winning team. But if Danault is pegged in the top 6 regularly it means that the team lacks a few quality pieces up front. My kind of 2nd line centers : Turris, O'Reilly, Nugent-Hopkins, Little, etc etc. Danault is a 2B-3A in my book.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
The guy who, according to some, was not a real 2C is now tied with Gallagher as top point producer on the team. He is on pace for a 50 points season with no Radulov at his side and on a team that struggles scoring goals. So he is still in progression and only 24. Don't tell me he is there because other players are struggling. He has 19 points despite the fact the team is struggling. And don't forget that he came to us with Chicago 2nd round pick in 2018, pick #49 at this moment. All that for Weise and Fleischman. Tough year so far, but he is a bright spot.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
This was a big win for MB. No doubt about it. He still needs to find another C that can play higher up in the lineup though.

DaNaultinus

The Human Fund Donor
Mar 25, 2013
Bergevin’s best move. He will become one of the best 3rd line centers in the league. He deserves Shaw money or better
I'd try to sign him at 4 mil. for 5/6 years. He's our best centre currently and one of our best players.

Reactions: Tyson

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Danault is around 45th for points among centermen that really play C. On top of it he his a real two way player and the Habs are 22nd in goals scored. His offensive stats are very similar to guys like Bergeron and Toews. So to still claim he is a third C is just foolish. And again, the guy is still improving, only 24.

Reactions: scrubadam

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Danault is around 45th for points among centermen that really play C. On top of it he his a real two way player and the Habs are 22nd in goals scored. His offensive stats are very similar to guys like Bergeron and Toews. So to still claim he is a third C is just foolish. And again, the guy is still improving, only 24.

At ES, his peers are RNH, Turris, Horvat, ahenn, Getzlaf, Johansen, Wennberg.... Its ridiculous to call him a 3rd line C.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Too bad the Shaw trade basically negates this move.

I can't stand Shaw, but hard to argue with what he's done this year. He's on pace for 21 goals and 42 points. Plus, he's been a spark plug when we're down. He's done his job on the PP and he seems to work with Pacioretty and Danault.

I don't like him at all with Chucky and Drouin. Hopefully Julien takes him off that line, and puts Byron back on, before splitting them up. And, I'd like to see if Gallagher or Hudon can steal his place on the line with Pacioretty and Danault. I'm even hoping Gallagher or Hudon can also take Byron's spot with Chucky and Drouin. Then, hopefully Byron Plekanec Shaw could still do well offensively.

Ideally I'd put Shaw on the 4th line and keep him in front of the net on the powerplay.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Danault does everything right all the time in every situation, he puts up a lot of points compared to excpectations, the guy will look good as a second line center because he just delivers.

Shaw is amazing, can't see why people don't like him, he's on pace for his best season.

Reactions: schnapshot

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Danault does everything right all the time in every situation, he puts up a lot of points compared to excpectations, the guy will look good as a second line center because he just delivers.

Shaw is amazing, can't see why people don't like him, he's on pace for his best season.

there's nothing amazing in his game, nothing spectacular, nothing fancy, nothing "skilled", he's just like the other Habs, boooooooooooring!

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I can't stand Shaw, but hard to argue with what he's done this year. He's on pace for 21 goals and 42 points. Plus, he's been a spark plug when we're down. He's done his job on the PP and he seems to work with Pacioretty and Danault.

I don't like him at all with Chucky and Drouin. Hopefully Julien takes him off that line, and puts Byron back on, before splitting them up. And, I'd like to see if Gallagher or Hudon can steal his place on the line with Pacioretty and Danault. I'm even hoping Gallagher or Hudon can also take Byron's spot with Chucky and Drouin. Then, hopefully Byron Plekanec Shaw could still do well offensively.

Ideally I'd put Shaw on the 4th line and keep him in front of the net on the powerplay.

Seriously. People really can't continue to call Shaw useless the way he's been playing. Unless of course they just love to hate.:sarcasm:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
The guy plays like a mad man every games, But i guess it doesn't fit the narrative.
what the f*** are you talking about ?? there's enough posters playing the Pejorative Slured "narrative game", smarten up, don't add yourself to the list.

there's no "skills" in Danault and Shaw game, that's the reality. He bangs pucks, that's it.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
what the **** are you talking about ?? there's enough posters playing the ******ed "narrative game", smarten up, don't add yourself to the list.

there's no "skills" in Danault and Shaw game, that's the reality. He bangs pucks, that's it.

Lumping Danault, one of the best ES producer on this team with Shaw is pretty stupid.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
(MOD)

Danault is a pretty talented player, he just isn't elite or exciting.

He's a lot like a young Plekanec to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
(MOD)

Danault is a pretty talented player, he just isn't elite or exciting.

He's a lot like a young Plekanec to me.
guess some people get it, it is that simple.

Can get as many ES points as he wants, doesnt change the fact he bang pucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I don't see the Plekanec-Danault comparisons. Plekanec was a much better player, better shot, better IQ, better defensively. Danault's a poor 2nd line center, Plekanec would've been a very good one.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad