Player Discussion Phillip Danault II: 2nd C? edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Danault is underrated.

Watch the games. He can make good passes, go hard to the net, and can come out with the puck on the forecheck. I have seen him take the puck with 2 guys on him.

If only he was drafted by the habs and wasn't french then everyone would complain about he underused he is just like AG/Eller.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Danault is underrated.

Watch the games. He can make good passes, go hard to the net, and can come out with the puck on the forecheck. I have seen him take the puck with 2 guys on him.

If only he was drafted by the habs and wasn't french then everyone would complain about he underused he is just like AG/Eller.

Or maybe hed be underused like AG or Eller

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
He's really strong on skates and even if he's not huge he's a beast on the boards, he rarely loses his battles for the puck.

Great trade.

If he can start getting some points on the PP he will easily get 50+ points because at even strength he's probably our best player...

Leads the team with 9 points at even strength.

Reactions: scrubadam

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Danault is a RFA this off season and will be 25 this February. What contract do you think we should sign him for? He’s a key piece in the middle 6 centre for us!

6 Years @ $4.5M AAV?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think the guy is establishing himself, when you consider his all around game, as a legit #2 C. He'll probably finish with about 50 points if he plays all 82, and the Radulov excuse no longer applies.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Yeah, I think he's a low end, second line, two-way center at this point. He's not Malkin, but with capable wingers, he's top-6 to me. Similar to Filppula or Nielsen in their prime. With PP time, I think he'd easily get over 50pts.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Currently playing in his second full NHL season, he is on pace for nearly 50 points. And all this without Radulov and a very useless Pacioretty. He's a 2C in my book.

As for his next contract, I can picture Bergevin offering him a 6-year deal. He loves those 6-year deals (Pacioretty, Price, Gallagher, Shaw, Petry, and Drouin all got the 6-year term). However, I would prefer seeing him signed for 4 years. With Poehling, Evans, and Ikonen (should none get traded) ideally coming in the near future, I would prefer giving Danault less years, which will make room quicker should any of the aforementioned prospects take over. And his lesser term can make him easier to move should a trade be required.

But if he is extended for 6 years, I won't be upset either because he is a solid player to have in your line-up.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Yeah, I think he's a low end, second line, two-way center at this point. He's not Malkin, but with capable wingers, he's top-6 to me. Similar to Filppula or Nielsen in their prime. With PP time, I think he'd easily get over 50pts.

I agree with this.

Eller as a 3C got $3,5M. Both of them have a good skill set but I think Danault is better and so the $4.5M is quite fair.

As for term, 6 years is fine by me. If we ever get or develop a better 2C I can certainly live with the $4.5M.

It's important to buy up UFA years. Should have signed Chucky to 6 anyway in my view, as an example.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Danault and Poehling are are middle 6 centers and I like it. Both have the size/skill/skating combo you look for. Cross your fingers that either Drouin or Galchenyuk or (cap space) can be our #1C. Evans is a dark horse and DLR/McCarron are the 4th line centers. We are in good shape but this won't unfold for a few years yet.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Danault is a RFA this off season and will be 25 this February. What contract do you think we should sign him for? He’s a key piece in the middle 6 centre for us!

6 Years @ $4.5M AAV?
I like the term as it would make him a UFA at 30 as opposed to 28. Cap hit is a bit much for a player like him but I suppose with that sort of term you have to give a bit more.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I like the term as it would make him a UFA at 30 as opposed to 28. Cap hit is a bit much for a player like him but I suppose with that sort of term you have to give a bit more.

I am very curious to see how this unfolds. I would be negotiating a contract ASAP! Danault is a key piece for us in our middle 6 center spots and we need to ensure we have him on a team friendly deal. Waiting for him to prove himself more than what he already has is a mistake IMO and will drive the price up.

Yes, that is why I went after the 6 year deal (Age 25-30) at $4.5M. I think its fair and we get him through his prime years while guys like Lehkonen, Hudon, Scherbak, Poehling, Evans, Ikonen make impacts and also want raises.

Danault is on track for a 46pts season after getting 45pts last season. Pay him for this rate now before he ends up with 50-60pts and will be asking for more. I'd even consider signing him for a 7 or 8 year deal if the AAV was team friendly. He's going to be loyal to the Habs and he shows up every game. Lock him up now please!

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
I like Danault a lot. He plays a very honest, hard working game. My only complaint is that I detest when he taps his stick for passes (thats my own issue, and applies to every player, amatuer or pro, who does that).

But I think on a legitimate Stanley Cup favorite, he is perfectly suited as a 3rd line C that can fill in on the top 6 short term as needed. And there is nothing wrong with that.

On Montreal, I also believe he is our best center. I actually wouldn't mind seeing him play with Drouin.

I think a line of Drouin on LW, Danault C and Gallagher on RW would be a nightmare to play against.

But my preference would be to get better offensive centres to play ahead of him.

But until then, as my old man used to say "You dance with the woman you brought..."

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Danault is much better Eller.

He got good offensive IQ and great two-way ability.

Yeah he is very underrated.

We can have better centerman and he is going on third line, but now he is good in top 6.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
He's a hard worker, strong on the puck and a good athlete. The only issue with him (imo) is his lack of offensive creativity. That being said, he is a solid player and should be a core part of our team moving forward. I can see him as a perrenial 40-45 pts guy that is sound defensively and can play in the top 6 if required. Essentially a good replacement for Plekanec. However if he is a staple on your top 6, then you lose out on icing two creatively offense lines.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Danault is much better Eller.

He got good offensive IQ and great two-way ability.

Yeah he is very underrated.

We can have better centerman and he is going on third line, but now he is good in top 6.

Hence why Eller was traded. Danault made him expendable.

boompuffboom

Jul 10, 2007
mid six guy, super dependable and versatile.

He is Plex 2.0, aka he is already invaluable to the Habs. If he's used mid-six we're in a decent spot. If he's our #1 goto centerman, we're in trouble.

id give him 3-5 @3.5-4

OnceWasNot

Jul 28, 2009
Our standards have fallen pretty far if we're now considering a 24 year old player in his prime production years who is currently on pace for ~12 goals to be a legit top 6 C.

Reactions: Habs178

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

6 Years @ $4.5M AAV?

Eller got 3.5 million AAV after putting up 30 points in 46 games during the lockout shortened season. That's a 54 point pace. But that was when the cap was lower.

I think Danault gets at least 3.5 million, perhaps 4. 4.5 is probably his ceiling. I'll guess 3.74 - 4.

He is on pace for 47 points this year.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Bergevin should sign him as soon as possible... His value will only go up IMO.

If he can get him bellow 4M I'll be happy.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
A good comparable for Danault is Brandon Sutter who is at 4.375 on a 5 year deal. And honestly I'm not sure Vancouver is loving that deal right now.

Danault is cementing himself as a legitimate 2nd line center, but I would still be very hesitant about signing him long term. Like Shaw he's useful, but not useful enough to overpay for. I'm not sure I'd want to go longer then 4 years with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->