Philipp Kurashev Appreciation Thread!

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Such a solid third line on a contender! Unfortunately for this team, it may be the best line. It’s okay though, when Dach and Toews come back this line will be pushed down.

Kane’s line needs cover behind a true top line. Either that means Toews coming back with good line mates, or Dach taking over that role
Soderberg should be in soon, and he will help Kaner.

Reactions: sandyfalkirk

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
The kid certainly has what it takes to become a steal. He's fast, good stickhandler, decent size, good shot, above average playmaking; there are a lot of attributes to like.

I look at a guy like Kaprizov right now. Two and a half years older than Kurashev, making his mark in the NHL right now and in a big way. I don't know that Philipp will get to that level in 2 (or so) years, but after the last few games, I can at least see the potential if everything goes right.

Right now, he's the exact type of prospect we need. Someone who is outplaying their draft position by a fair bit. Fingers crossed he can keep going.

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
Top teams in the nhl need to find steals later in the draft. Otherwise you end up like the oilers, top picks with no one to play with.

Kurashev looks great so far and this isn’t just out of the blue. He has been moving up the ranks ever since he was drafted. He has skill, an understanding of playing defense. Plus he plays with confidence which some young, skilled players lack.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Top teams in the nhl need to find steals later in the draft. Otherwise you end up like the oilers, top picks with no one to play with.

Kurashev looks great so far and this isn’t just out of the blue. He has been moving up the ranks ever since he was drafted. He has skill, an understanding of playing defense. Plus he plays with confidence which some young, skilled players lack.
The first time I saw him in the WJC with the Swiss team after the Hawks drafted him I knew he could play. He did not look out of place vs the top nations in the tournament.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Seems like he'd be a great fit with Kane.
He very well might be ... I'd like to see Kurashev playing C with Kaner and hmmmm ... for some strange reason I can see Entwistle playing LW on that line to have a tough " dig it out of the corners " power forward to complement the two silky linemates. left shooting RW and a right shooting LW.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
He very well might be ... I'd like to see Kurashev playing C with Kaner and hmmmm ... for some strange reason I can see Entwistle playing LW on that line to have a tough " dig it out of the corners " power forward to complement the two silky linemates. left shooting RW and a right shooting LW.

If you can make Kurashev and Entwistle work with Kane, then that is huge for lineup building. You’d have so much other talent to spread across two other lines.

DeBrincat-Dach-Shaw/Nylander/Hagel
Kubalik-Toews-Strome
Entwistle-Kurashev-Kane

EDIT: I forgot about Suter, jeez

Last edited:
Reactions: crazyhawk

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
I refuse to pay for The Athletic. Most of it is overrated.

I easily get $5 per month value from it and I don't read anything besides hockey and the few auto racing articles they have. I definitely would not pay for it if I was just focused on the Hawks but several of the other team writers are excellent. Since hockey has restarted, it has been fantastic.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I easily get $5 per month value from it and I don't read anything besides hockey and the few auto racing articles they have. I definitely would not pay for it if I was just focused on the Hawks but several of the other team writers are excellent. Since hockey has restarted, it has been fantastic.

I don't like 98% of the writers. I'll buy a crankbait a month and skip out on those morons. :laugh:

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019

Same. I like to follow the league as a whole and instead of having to read a million regional papers or sites, I just choose all NHL teams to "follow" on the Athletic. I don't read every article but I would say I read anywhere from five to 10 per day on weekdays.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Same. I like to follow the league as a whole and instead of having to read a million regional papers or sites, I just choose all NHL teams to "follow" on the Athletic. I don't read every article but I would say I read anywhere from five to 10 per day on weekdays.

Agreed. It is nice to have everything in on place. Several of the podcasts are very strong as well. The Vancouver podcast with Thomas Drance is especially good if you like the Canucks.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Of course. It’s easy to appreciate someone who doesn’t throw a fit when you move em to wing.
Can someone direct me to a quote from Strome about him being upset with the move to Wing? I seem to have missed it, and all I can find is this.

"It's not something I'm used to, but I'm working on it," Strome said. "I wouldn't say I'm comfortable yet, but I'm trying to get better every day at it. It's something new to me. I think it's a little bit less skating, it's a little bit you gotta hold onto the puck a little bit longer. I'm working on it, I'm trying to get better at it and hopefully I can continue to grow and be a good winger."

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Can someone direct me to a quote from Strome about him being upset with the move to Wing? I seem to have missed it, and all I can find is this.

"It's not something I'm used to, but I'm working on it," Strome said. "I wouldn't say I'm comfortable yet, but I'm trying to get better every day at it. It's something new to me. I think it's a little bit less skating, it's a little bit you gotta hold onto the puck a little bit longer. I'm working on it, I'm trying to get better at it and hopefully I can continue to grow and be a good winger."

I don’t know if I’ve seen a direct quote, it has been Pat Boyle saying it’s things Strome said. Boyle said Strome was noticeably sullen and that he was saying things like “as a former center”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad