Philipp Kurashev Appreciation Thread!

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
I’ve said before I think Kurashev ends up a 45ish point guy, and I still feel that way. I think he ends up a really good 3rd line depth scorer.

Reactions: Pertti

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
All of these young players--I don't care where they project points-wise, I'm just having fun watching the games this season. :hockey:

Perfectly said. I have no idea where we end up in the standings, but this year's team has been a breath of fresh air.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
for sure he has bulked up some, his arms are bigger and his Trapezius muscle is noticeably larger.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It is almost like there is video showing he is not lanky. It is very clear that Kurashev is thicker this year and you can tell looking at him.

Depends on your standarts I guess. He's compared to me and I've never seen a gym from the inside my entire life. I'm exactly 6'0, 190 lbs right now.

People were unsure about many parts of his game but he's proven everybody wrong. Even I, as one of his biggest fans, had some concerns but he's a complete player now. Even won 48,6% of faceoffs though small sample size of course. He does lack body strength though. Again, it's enough to survive out there but he doesn't win a lot of battles and he hardly ever hits anybody, let alone in a way that would do any kind of damage. That used to be a part of his game when he was younger but it has gone away. Of course, it's tougher to be physical against men than it is against kids but still. He's not exactly overpowered out there but he did get flattened and run over badly a few times already.

Definitely the one thing he still has to work on. Has to hit the gym hard to fill out and grow into his frame. That's something DeBrincat seems to have done lately but I'm not seeing it just yet when watching Kurashev. There's still a lot of room.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Depends on your standarts I guess. He's compared to me and I've never seen a gym from the inside my entire life. I'm exactly 6'0, 190 lbs right now.

People were unsure about many parts of his game but he's proven everybody wrong. Even I, as one of his biggest fans, had some concerns but he's a complete player now. Even won 48,6% of faceoffs though small sample size of course. He does lack body strength though. Again, it's enough to survive out there but he doesn't win a lot of battles and he hardly ever hits anybody, let alone in a way that would do any kind of damage. That used to be a part of his game when he was younger but it has gone away. Of course, it's tougher to be physical against men than it is against kids but still. He's not exactly overpowered out there but he did get flattened and run over badly a few times already.

Definitely the one thing he still has to work on. Has to hit the gym hard to fill out and grow into his frame. That's something DeBrincat seems to have done lately but I'm not seeing it just yet when watching Kurashev. There's still a lot of room.

He wins battles all the time. In fact he's great at keeping possession of the puck and stripping the puck off others.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

What are you going on about? Are you subtly trying to brag you’re the same size as a pro athlete without working out?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He wins battles all the time. In fact he's great at keeping possession of the puck and stripping the puck off others.

Yes he is but he's not in physical puck battles. He's about strong enough on the puck and he's got a great stick to get it from others but if it's an actual puck battle along the boards, he's not gonna win that. He hardly ever hits anybody and if he does, there's no effect. That's something DeBrincat improved lately. He's much stronger physically which is part of why he improved so much. Again, not seeing that from Kurashev just yet.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
What are you going on about? Are you subtly trying to brag you’re the same size as a pro athlete without working out?

That has nothing to do with me (though I do work out a lot but the ones I do probably reduce my muscle mass more than anything else). I'm just saying that he needs to get stronger and I disagree that he looks strong. I told you guys even back in the draft thread how great of a player he's gonna be and he even outperformed my expectations for him. Great player, but that's the one thing I believe he still needs to work on. He probably just didn't really focus on it so I don't blame him. Still time to fill out his frame.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
That has nothing to do with me. I'm just saying that he needs to get stronger and I disagree that he looks strong. I told you guys even back in the draft thread how great of a player he's gonna be and he even outperformed my expectations for him. Great player, but that's the one thing I believe he still needs to work on. He probably just didn't really focus on it so I don't blame him. Still time to fill out his frame.

People said he looks stronger. You’re arguing over some arbitrary definition of strong.

What a meaningless argument you’ve created.

Reactions: Space umpire

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
People said he looks stronger. You’re arguing over some arbitrary definition of strong.

What a meaningless argument you’ve created.

That's not what everybody said, no. And I also disagree with the "er" anyway. Stronger than a few years back probably but no recent eye popping improvements like you can see when looking at DeBrincat. It also shows on the ice. Again, for me it's the last big thing he needs to work on to be a complete player.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
That's not what everybody said, no. And I also disagree with the "er" anyway. Stronger than a few years back probably but no recent eye popping improvements like you can see when looking at DeBrincat. It also shows on the ice. Again, for me it's the last big thing he needs to work on to be a complete player.

He’s a rookie and is two years younger than DeBrincat. What in the world are you getting worked up about?

He’ll obviously continue working on it.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He’s a rookie and is two years younger than DeBrincat. What in the world are you getting worked up about?

He’ll obviously continue working on it.

Yeah, that's what I just wrote. He probably just didn't focus on it. I just disagree with some of the posts here saying that he looks strong or even stronger.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
It’s almost like you’re not ignoring them at that point.
It's still the same but funny because you see people talking at thin air in amusing ways, and I only have 1 person on ignore but see it time to time.

Anywhoo. I thought Kurashev would of needed a little more time because he started slow to start in the AHL, but it seems even being in the bubble then training hard all fall was good for guys like him, Beaudin, and others.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
Hey Hawks fans! Don't mind my avatar, be kind...

I was chilling on Yahoo Sports today when I saw that Kurashev was 10 in 10 and I was pretty surprised! I didn't to see the Hawks a lot so far, how does he look? Just a lucky start? Does he have top 6 upside? Why only 10 games?

Yeah, just... wassup with Karashev?

Reactions: Mrfenn92 and ray c

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Hey Hawks fans! Don't mind my avatar, be kind...

I was chilling on Yahoo Sports today when I saw that Kurashev was 10 in 10 and I was pretty surprised! I didn't to see the Hawks a lot so far, how does he look? Just a lucky start? Does he have top 6 upside? Why only 10 games?

Yeah, just... wassup with Karashev?
He was injured for a bit, but has gotten a chance to play with Bedard since returning and has looked the most comfortable there. Kurashev finally looks like he's playing with confidence.

Still don't think he's a ppg winger, but 50 plus points feels like a real possibility for him for the first time in his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad