OT: Philadelphia Phillies: The Road To .500

Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Wheeler is just unreal. What a gem.
Wheeler and his contract annoy me so much because a player vastly outperforming a contract like this is usually what pushes teams over "the hump". Unfortunately, the Phillies were/are such a mess it pushed them to the base of the hump.

I use annoy in quite the literal way. I obviously don't dislike him or the contract

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Wheeler and his contract annoy me so much because a player vastly outperforming a contract like this is usually what pushes teams over "the hump". Unfortunately, the Phillies were/are such a mess it pushed them to the base of the hump.

I use annoy in quite the literal way. I obviously don't dislike him or the contract
Yea. His performance for the value of his contract is probably #1 among pitching contracts over $100m. Some of them turned into real lead weighs. Hell, Nats have two bad ones.

Strasburg on a 7 yr/$245m (8 starts in 3 years)
Patrick Corbin on a 6 yr/$140m (92 GS, 4.67 ERA over 4 years)
Wheeler 5 yr/$118m (59 GS, 2.73 ERA over 3 years)

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Analytics wise don’t the Phils have good hitting & starting pitcher in comparison to the league this year? It’s more so their bullpen that’s let them down?
Pens actually been pretty unreal for about 45 days. Everything is firing on all cylinders at the moment though

Edit: But yes, the pen was pretty awful with Girardi.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Knebel should still not be closing. Jesus he scares me. Glad they won though.

he hasn't been, not sure why he was today, they have been going with Hand and Seranthony Dominguez, one takes the 8th the other takes the 9th, then flipped next time around.

they have gone 25-10 since June though so clearly something is working when you consider the injuries to such key players.

Last edited:

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006

How exactly are they a mess? Theyre in a playoff spot and playing good ball.

Not saying they arent flawed in areas, but theyre playing like a good team. Depth has been an issue for a while but its nice to see them getting production from a lot of different people. Bohm has all 3 rbis in this series for example. Stott, stubbs, and hall have had moments too.

This is the first time in the harper era that they look like and are playing like a team and not just a bunch of players thrown together. Like ive said many times, I think girardi was a huge issue but with him gone the team has really come together.

I dont see a deep playoff run. But Id feel pretty confident going into a best of 3 series with Wheeler and Nola. Best case is this season is their stepping stone.

• Haha
Reactions: DancingPanther
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad