OT: Philadelphia Phillies: The Road To .500

Status
Not open for further replies.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I think they should make some tough decisions about their 4 DHs. Is Harper going to be able to play RF next season? They can't run it back with all of these below average fielders in the shift ban era.

Reactions: trostol

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The bullpen was awesome all playoffs. Jose I think ran put of gas. Good thing there will be painter to pitch next year in October.

Nick, Rhys, and Aaron. You are most at fault. I blame Nick the most though. One of the right handed hitters had to step up and none did

Might be a good idea to not let JT catch as much next year.

All in all it was a great run. Had so much fun. Lost to a great team.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
It's going to be very difficult for them to get back but all they basically need to do is win 87 games or so and they have a shot.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I am reluctant to be negative after what they accomplished, but yanking Wheeler for Alvarado was an all-time bad decision and I knew it at the time and so did everyone in my house. I am really f***ing distraught.
I called the home run the second they pulled him

Obviously most of that was just being a Philly fan, always negative. But it was an immediately regrettable move. No hindsight necessary

Bigtimefeed

Aug 15, 2022
This team met my expectations of them in full, which was to win the pennant and give it their best shot. I knew they would get this far, but prayed for anyone but Houston. So I'm not disappointed in the least, my only concern moving forward will be the expectations from fans and media next season.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I mean I get it. Wheeler had a very obvious cliff lately in the playoffs and you have to learn from past mistakes. Pulling him was the right call given how he'd fallen off at this point in the game lately. Can't fault the decision, really.

And I'm not going to lay any blame on the bullpen. They were so much better this run than you'd ever think they could be. Alvarado giving up runs the last 2 games was bound to happen eventually. They definitely need another arm in there, but it's nice to know the small core is much better than we thought.

Schwarber can absolutely be DH next year and we'll be ok. If Castellanos can field like he did during this run next year, you probably want to keep him in, but maybe bat him 8th. Rhys, I mean we all know he's streaky, but he did come up with some huge plays at the plate this run.

Marsh, Stott and Bohm I'm excited for in the future. Those guys feel like they're just scratching the surface on what they can do. And Harper is absolutely a guy who opposing pitchers will pitch around. It wouldn't be the worst idea to bat him 3rd next year in front of Schwarber, because I have a feeling that he could enter a stretch where teams just walk him to avoid the HR, and Schwarbs can absolutely rake.

We have a great manager, an excellent core, and probably 90% of the ancillary pieces to be a 100 win powerhouse next year. If Dombrowski kills it this winter, this run is only the beginning. And there's no reason not to think the best is still ahead.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Bigtimefeed

Aug 15, 2022

This is rich, but I'll say this much.

My dad has this sports conspiracy stemming from the results of the four major sports winners the past year. He said that last year starting Feb 2021 when Brady and Tampa won Super Bowl LV, then Milwaukee Bucks NBA followed by Tampa again NHL then finally Braves WS last year had all east coast teams winning a championship.

Then said the Rams winning Super Bowl LVI this past February, followed by Golden St NBA and Avs winning the cup, that west coast teams would win in 2022 thus Astros winning today.

What's surprising (coincidentally) is that it extended to MLS since New York beat Portland in the 2021 cup final, and that game ended much the same way as today in a penalty shootout for LAFC today. For what it's worth I still consider my dad a mad scientist, but he's been all in on this conspiracy so I can't argue the results.

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Same as it ever was, absolutely nothing but heart ache, Harper deserves better. That being said I believe in Dombrowski, just as Harper does, Caste gone, PLEASE Hoskins gone, let's see if he has the balls to make the moves that need to be made. And as far as Caste's family getting "shots" sent at them or whatever, sounds like his wife is pulling the massive VICTIM card as she didn't divulge any information, just randomly said her family was being attacked as her husband steals 100mil from the city, good riddance Karen. Either way, thanks for the ride Harper, Schwarber, Marsh, Wheeler, Suarez (early PO Nola), Bohm, most of the bullpen.

Reactions: Rebels57

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Same as it ever was, absolutely nothing but heart ache, Harper deserves better. That being said I believe in Dombrowski, just as Harper does, Caste gone, PLEASE Hoskins gone, let's see if he has the balls to make the moves that need to be made. And as far as Caste's family getting "shots" sent at them or whatever, sounds like his wife is pulling the massive VICTIM card as she didn't divulge any information, just randomly said her family was being attacked as her husband steals 100mil from the city, good riddance Karen. Either way, thanks for the ride Harper, Schwarber, Marsh, Wheeler, Suarez (early PO Nola), Bohm, most of the bullpen.
they have to get rid of the dead weight on this roster for this team to come back, even if it's moving hoskins, jt, caste and replace them with harper/schwarber type of players like correa, turner, and bogaerts
and sign one starter if he's reasonable.

Reactions: MorgantiDrinksBlood

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
they have to get rid of the dead weight on this roster for this team to come back, even if it's moving hoskins, jt, caste and replace them with harper/schwarber type of players like correa, turner, and bogaerts
and sign one starter if he's reasonable.
You do not move JT, his defense alone makes him worth it. I can tell you right now though Middleton is willing to spend he's seen what Harper can do. One of Correa, Turner or Bogaerts is coming here. You can bank on that, Harper can carry a team to the WS by himself, he just needs another Schwarber to help. Wheeler is a big game pitcher too. I don't wanna hear shit about Nola being that guy he won an NLDS game, he choked when the lights got the brightest, he's a good not elite pitcher. Either way, my opinions don't matter, I fully believe Dombrowski will do his due diligence and revamp the roster the way it needs to be to compete legitimately next year. We found out this year Harper really is that dude, so let's see what they surround him with to give them a shot to win a chip.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
You do not move JT, his defense alone makes him worth it. I can tell you right now though Middleton is willing to spend he's seen what Harper can do. One of Correa, Turner or Bogaerts is coming here. You can bank on that, Harper can carry a team to the WS by himself, he just needs another Schwarber to help. Wheeler is a big game pitcher too. I don't wanna hear shit about Nola being that guy he won an NLDS game, he choked when the lights got the brightest, he's a good not elite pitcher. Either way, my opinions don't matter, I fully believe Dombrowski will do his due diligence and revamp the roster the way it needs to be to compete legitimately next year. We found out this year Harper really is that dude, so let's see what they surround him with to give them a shot to win a chip.
yeah i agree about jt, it's not easy to find a player like that. nola is trash, if he wasnt we would be making the playoffs for the last 3 years. he's got to go and get an actual ace.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
So with that epic run where do we go from here? I think they have to trade Hoskins either for a pitcher or some prospects and Idk about this Japanese guy that apparently wants to play in Philly but if he can play CF that should be a no-brainer. Sign one of the big SS and stick Stott at 2B.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
There’s not really a debate to be had on whether they should re-sign Nola. He’s absolutely necessary. Forget the unfortunate tailspin. He will help the team get to the playoffs again—hopefully with home field advantage

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I'm not sure why some people expect top of the rotation guys to toss up 6+ scoreless innings every outing in the playoffs. Hits and runs are going to happen especially if a team is seeing a pitcher for the second time in a series.

The Phillies had the opportunity with Framber last night. He was gettable at times. They just didn't get it done. Same with Verlander in game 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese