OT: Philadelphia 76ers: Taking Our Talents To The Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
The Sixers didn't lose this game because they couldn't execute at the end of the game, they lost because they coughed up a 16 pt third quarter lead by missing shots and turning the ball over. Brown doesn't get a free pass but he's not the one handing the ball to the other team and missing open shots.

One of things that I've noticed over the last few weeks is that the Sixers are not consistently showing that nice ball movement that we saw earlier in the year. And they need that, because as others have already noted, they lack guys who can create their own shot. So you need the ball and bodies moving to get those looks. I suspect this may be a result of relying too much on Embiid. Brown has mentioned that it's a bit of a struggle to find the right balance between playing with pace and playing through Embiid, and I think the balance has tilted too far toward relying on Embiid.

I won't disagree with you that they don't have any shot creators but I think that too many people still look at Brett Brown as having this awful team that can't win games and give him a pass. This isn't a couple of performances where they're blowing a lead because they're taking bad shots and turning the ball over - this is a full blown habit, and I think it falls equally on the players and the coach in this case.

During key moments in the game, there is no structure to the offense, guys are taking ill-advised, forced shots, and they're trying to create for themselves, rather than moving the ball and finding open looks, which is their game. A lot of that falls on the coach to nail down exactly what they need to be doing. You can't have guys like Bayless, Redick, Johnson(!) and Covington taking the ball off the dribble from the arc and trying to make something happen. They don't handle the ball well, they don't finish well at the rim and they're not playmakers. The fact that it keeps happening shows me that either Brown is encouraging it or he's not coaching to prevent these mistakes that keep happening time and time again.

I like Brown and I think he's a good personality and is doing a good job behind the scenes with individuals, but I don't think he's a good enough in-game or structural coach.

Reactions: tucson83

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I won't disagree with you that they don't have any shot creators but I think that too many people still look at Brett Brown as having this awful team that can't win games and give him a pass. This isn't a couple of performances where they're blowing a lead because they're taking bad shots and turning the ball over - this is a full blown habit, and I think it falls equally on the players and the coach in this case.

During key moments in the game, there is no structure to the offense, guys are taking ill-advised, forced shots, and they're trying to create for themselves, rather than moving the ball and finding open looks, which is their game. A lot of that falls on the coach to nail down exactly what they need to be doing. You can't have guys like Bayless, Redick, Johnson(!) and Covington taking the ball off the dribble from the arc and trying to make something happen. They don't handle the ball well, they don't finish well at the rim and they're not playmakers. The fact that it keeps happening shows me that either Brown is encouraging it or he's not coaching to prevent these mistakes that keep happening time and time again.

I like Brown and I think he's a good personality and is doing a good job behind the scenes with individuals, but I don't think he's a good enough in-game or structural coach.

I think we're both saying pretty much the same thing, just differing on where the responsibility lies. I would completely agree with you on Brown were it not for the fact that in the first part of this season they were doing exactly what you say they should be doing- ball and body movement leading to good shots. What I see happening now is that they are still moving the ball, but not the bodies. They're standing around and passing the ball around the perimeter, then the shot clock runs down and whoever has the ball gets desperate and throws up a bad shot or dribbles into traffic and turns the ball over. And when they do get open shots (Covington, Bayless) they miss.

And I agree that it's the coach's responsibility to correct this kind of play, but I don't think it's something that's beyond his ability as a coach to fix. I mean, it's what he's been preaching since he's been here, and it's what the Spurs have been doing for years. He's even had the Sixers playing that way in past years when it really was basically a D League team.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017

this team lacks an identity, we have too many players doing different things, that falls on the coach the strength i see for this team is attacking the rim, brett should know that if this team's weakness is jump shooting, why keep doing it? that's why we are losing games. i mean why is embidd constantly jump shooting when he knows, he's not a jump shooter? he's attack the rim type of player.

Frickley

why am i watching this
Apr 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
ATO's and late game must score situations are not even close to being the same thing.

I appreciate your explanation, but you conveniently skipped past the part of the tweet that addresses "clutch" situations. Now it's valid enough to argue over the difference in how "clutch" and "late game" are statically defined, but no need to insult others' intelligence via argumentation fed by negligence.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I appreciate your explanation, but you conveniently skipped past the part of the tweet that addresses "clutch" situations. Now it's valid enough to argue over the difference in how "clutch" and "late game" are statically defined, but no need to insult others' intelligence via argumentation fed by negligence.

I'm not sure how you got that from the sentence I typed.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
No need to start throwing Brown under the "team" bus....

I am just as frustrated and he shouldn't get a pass for this skid necessarily. He can do better with his play calling and personnel decisions. Shared responsibility though. Players aren't executing and their center of excellence and de facto leader is constantly in and out of the lineup. Brown is no Hakstol and the players genuinely like playing for him. They still need some more shooters that can create for themselves as mentioned and hopefully Fultz can help in that dept whenever he is clear to play.

Right now this team without Embiid is not really a playoff team. With him they definitely are. Him not playing and Simmons not willing/afraid to shoot to fill some of the void is hurting their playoff chances. Inconsistency with RoCo, Saric and Reddick as I noted just amplifies the voids this team still has.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Also saw on twitter that Bayless is starting for Redick. Don’t know if that means Redick is out but if he is, fuggedaboudit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad