Phil Kessel vs James Neal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Kessel can be one of the best offensive players in the world. You'll see as far as his skill and production he isn't all that far off of our centers

But but but... what about the unnecessary angst and drama we need to create by comparing him to a former player that isn't remotely as good overall, but who still has a wicked release so... you know... we can sneak in a tricky comparison and start an argument. This is America, Home of the Sort of Free and Land of Reality TV. We need vapid drama to feel alive.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Nash? He sucks ass in PO & Kessel shined in a deranged team against Boston as in carrying said team.

The other guys? Debatable, all played on a better team than The Phil though.
Nash isn't close. Kane, yes. Benn? Iffy. He did win the art ross but he had another AR contender in Tyler Seguin. Perry I'd say is pretty comparable production wise.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Perry, Nash, Kane, Benn?

Nope.

Getzlaf, Brassard and Seguin are significantly better pivots than Bozak.

The Toews line draws the hardest matchups and when Kane gets bumped onto that line, he plays with elite talent like Toews, Saad, and Hossa.

Kessel was the primary focus of every team the Leafs faced. Yet he still produced year after year with crap line mates and never had a legit pivot.

Kessel is a one man offensive machine. I've seen it many a nights with my own eyes.

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
Neal has the best wrist shot I've ever seen, but I think that Kessel is the better finisher, and can make his own shots. Thats why Hornqvist had a better statistical year than Neal, Neal didn't have a good playmaking center in Nashville.
Kessel's shot is even better honestly. The velocity on his shot is unreal, the only guy who can wrist/snap it harder is Ovechkin and maybe Semin.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
you could argue for Hall and Tarasenko and Seguin

Hall has yet to even break 30 goals in a season during his career so far.

Tarasenko may get up there one day, but he has to show the consistency Kessel has over his career.

Being on a bad club with just about zero help, Kessel has the fourth most goals in the league the last five years. This is without the benefit of guys like MSL and Getzlaf feeding him the puck.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Hall has yet to even break 30 goals in a season during his career so far.

Tarasenko may get up there one day, but he has to show the consistency Kessel has over his career.

Being on a bad club with just about zero help, Kessel has the fourth most goals in the league the last five years. This is without the benefit of guys like MSL and Getzlaf feeding him the puck.

lol, Just trolling ya a bit. Kessel is certainly one of the best. Now introducing extra strength Kessel with world class centers.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Watching people argue Kessel is better than Benn and Perry must be the most entertaining thing this off season.

Yeah, Benn's been playing with Seguin about as long as Kessel's been playing with JVR. Benn produces with Seguin and without him. Actually scored more when Seguin was out this year than when he was playing. And that's not even getting into all the other stuff Benn does (plays all three forward positions, all roles on a line, hits, fights, well above average defensive player etc).

You can maybe make the "linemate" argument with Perry, but not with Benn. Benn had 65 in 70 games when Steve Ott was his center, for Chrissakes. Ott's not even on Bozak's level. And Benn's better now than when he pulled that rabbit out of his hat.

Kessel's up there, but let's not get carried away.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
Short version, Neal has more physical edge to his game but Kessel is faster.

Long version, Neal's offense comes from his positioning and his shot, he is the prototypical "sniper". His physical edge is not productive; he takes himself out of position to throw hits and starts **** he can't finish, gets riled up in a way that detracts from his game. As opposed to someone who is productive in their physicality, making it difficult for opponents through hard work and tight checking, winning board battles, that's not his thing. Not that it's Kessel's either, far from it, but he's not a downgrade from Neal in that regard. Neal probably has the better shot but he relies more on his teammates to get it for him and then finishes. Kessel uses his skating and slipperiness to create his own chances. There's a lot of the young Ovechkin to his game, carrying the puck down the wing and just blowing past guys. He needs linemates who can take advantage of the time and space he creates with his speed and the threat of his speed to cash in those chances.

For that reason I think he is a better fit with Crosby than with Malkin. Malkin likes to dominate the puck and bull his way around the ice; he meshed well with Neal because Neal would play off that to find a scoring spot and wait for his shot. Crosby is so hockey-smart that he will use the opportunities Kessel creates off the wing to read the defence, find space around the net and finish the chance when the defence reacts to Kessel.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Benn never sniffed 30 goals until Seguin was put on his line two years ago. Kessel is proven over the long haul and he produces no matter who is thrown on his line. He doesn't need another great linemate to elevate his game to help him score 30 goals.

Only AO is more consistent and more dynamic than Kessel.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Watching people argue Kessel is better than Benn and Perry must be the most entertaining thing this off season.
Kessel is such a polarizing player its insane.

This goes back to when he was called The American Crosby or the next Guy Lafleur. Then people, including myself, start to hate him because of what other people have said and start to dismiss what he does bring to the ice. Which is also wrong...

He's a very good player... not bad... not great.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
This thead's premise is ridiculous at best. Want a better title?

Kessel vs James Brown, whose da coolest?

-or-

Phil against the world, by the Toronto media ASSociation

-or-

The Kessel factor, truth or legend?

-or-

Phil vs the Dirty Philosophers, because they like to hate see?

-or-

Phil in yer own for all i care... ;)

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
whowouldwin.png

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Kessel is such a polarizing player its insane.

This goes back to when he was called The American Crosby or the next Guy Lafleur. Then people, including myself, start to hate him because of what other people have said and start to dismiss what he does bring to the ice. Which is also wrong...

He's a very good player... not bad... not great.

If Kessel isn't great, you must have a very limiting definition of what it means to be great.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Especially at the 6.8mil cap hit...Kessel Kessel Kessel. All the way.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
is Phil Kessel an upgrade over James Neal or not really?
1) who has a better slapshot
2) who has a better wristshot?
3) who is faster
4) better overall player

Kessel is much better than James Neal.

Neither have a great slapshot so I will call that a wash.

Kessel probably has a better wrist shot because he can shoot laser beams at full speed while Neal needs a more open space.

Kessel is a LOT faster

Kessel is the better overall player because he can create and finish a play all by himself. He also can make the players around him better. Neal is a guy whose game is elevated by playing with elite players. Kessel IS an elite player.

That said, you can't teach chemistry and Geno and Neal had it. Neal put up 80 points with Malkin. I think we would all be stoked if Kessel had 80 points. There is potential for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad