Waived: [PHI] F Ryan Johansen waived by the Flyers (cleared)

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Just imagine if this guy had any sort of heart or desire.
He showed lots of that in Colorado this year. As an Avs fan I actually respect the hell out of his effort. He tried hard every shift and used his body really well which surprised me. The problem is that the league has passed him. His feet are too slow to play in this league. His hands can’t even keep up with his brain anymore.

You can see there was a hockey player there. It’s just too late. If he put in the effort in years ago that he’s putting in now, he would have been one of the leagues too centres for half a decade or so.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
56856796579.gif

It seems like folks here don't know the story of Johansen and Torts from Columbus.

Johansen was the #1C in Columbus when Torts was hired. It was early in the year after they lost their first 7 games. Johansen was known for very lazy play and folks expected some fireworks. Johansen left the team just a few games after Torts was hired, for initially unclear reasons, and we were later told that he was getting his heart checked out. I don't want to be too harsh because he might have had an actual condition leading to his lazy play, but it seemed to me at the time that he was finding reasons to avoid Tortorella. Johansen was traded for Seth Jones just a couple months later.

So yeah I don't think Johansen was eager for a reunion. He'll probably sooner take the AHL bus than play for Torts.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
I remember when Johanson was considered a stud. He’s not exactly really old but why has he fallen off a cliff so rapidly?

Reactions: Devonator

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
I remember when Johanson was considered a stud. He’s not exactly really old but why has he fallen off a cliff so rapidly?
Being lazy on top of slow is a bad combo. I don't remember anyone saying he was a stud. Nashville just thought he was a 1C when he was really a 2/3C but paid him like a 1C and were disappointed with the results.

Reactions: hn777

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Dudes been beat up. Anaheim basically put him in the hospital in 2017 and it was bad enough there was initial concern of losing his leg. Play a few more years with things and then at the end of last season something in his ankle was messed up and he was done for the season. For a guy that wasn't exactly fast to start with those kind of injuries are killer.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Being lazy on top of slow is a bad combo. I don't remember anyone saying he was a stud. Nashville just thought he was a 1C when he was really a 2/3C but paid him like a 1C and were disappointed with the results.
In the playoffs he absolutely played like a 1C, to the point most Nashville fans believe if he doesn't go down in the Anaheim series we probably beat Pittsburgh in the SCF.

I think alot of his issue is he didn't really see the regular season as something that mattered.

Skizwald

Feb 1, 2016
Philadelphia
flyers made yet another trade, in a rebuild year, where they got older (technical but still 29 yo for a 31 yo)
The Phantoms got older because the Flyers took him as a cap dump. That's why they waived him as soon as they got him. Walker wasn't worth a 1st on his own. He might have been when he was racking up points early in the season, but while there were rumors, nothing was confirmed that anyone offered that high.

I do think we got fleeced. With the extra year on his contract, we should have gotten extra picks and/or a prospect. Even if they buy him out, there are recent summer cap, not even dealine dumps, that costed less and didn't involve another decent player going back.

Feel like the flyers adding the extra 5th round pick is the cherry on top of the sh*t sandwich.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I have a feeling he's either claimed on re-entry, or is traded at 50% to a contending team that needs to fill the bottom.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
We should just claim for a 4million cap hit and trade Jeannot, Motte, Glendenning, De Hann, Perbix and Sheary for anything . WE get a better player than any of them that can at least win faceoffs consistently and be a 2nd/3rd line center trying to prove himself again. IF JBB was really ballsy he would claim him and trade Cirelli to get anything of value from him and get out of a terrible contract. His worst season is pretty similar to the current Cirelli.
Ryan Johansen Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
cireli 2023
View attachment 830810
Johansen 2023
View attachment 830812

Brother guy, trust me, you don't want RyJo on the Bolts. The guy beyond sucks. Please understand this.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Brother guy, trust me, you don't want RyJo on the Bolts. The guy beyond sucks. Please understand this.
Have you seen our massive trade deadline addition from last year in Jeannot? He makes RyJo look like he is a super star still and he isnt.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00