Proposal: Phi - Edm

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Yes...it is an insane comment.

Before this past season, saying Simmonds was a 30 goal guy could be considered a non- insane comment considering he had 28, paced for 27, 29, paced for 31 over the last 4 years. It's pretty close.

Saying Simmonds nearly scored 40 when he got 32 IS insane. Simmonds is a guy who can get 30 and 30. No need to stretch things to say any more.

In the end, few people would rather Eberle over Simmonds but it's still close...not like Yak to Simmonds for example. But when you add in cap hit, the gap becomes very large. Over 2 million more in cap hit is a big thing and cannot be ignored.

I agree with this.

I aswell would rather have simmonds over eberle, and im an oiler fan.

He bring's more aspects to his game, and hes two-million cheaper.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I love simmonds as a player and really enjoy his style but I'd do this deal. While i feel it would leave the flyers lacking in the areas a unique player like simmonds brings the addition of pure skill is just enough to tempt me.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Cap hits aside, this does not follow what Hextall said he was going to do to the team for next season. He stated that we were looking to get bigger and tougher to play against at forward. This is completely opposite of what he plans to do. While I'd love to have Ebs (a legit goal scoring winger, probably the most glaring hole for us though preferably we'd get a LW to do that) we just can't give up Simmonds' size and physicality.

Yak is on the trade block so Oilers fans let's not act like he's a hugely valued commodity. Reports are the Oilers want a 2nd but teams are only offering a 3rd. Maybe a deal around MDZ and Yak could be made but it's probably the only basis for a trade between the 2 teams.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Cap hits aside, this does not follow what Hextall said he was going to do to the team for next season. He stated that we were looking to get bigger and tougher to play against at forward. This is completely opposite of what he plans to do. While I'd love to have Ebs (a legit goal scoring winger, probably the most glaring hole for us though preferably we'd get a LW to do that) we just can't give up Simmonds' size and physicality.

Yak is on the trade block so Oilers fans let's not act like he's a hugely valued commodity. Reports are the Oilers want a 2nd but teams are only offering a 3rd. Maybe a deal around MDZ and Yak could be made but it's probably the only basis for a trade between the 2 teams.
Edm just gave their second franchise player away for a passable Dman. They should keep Eberle and Yakupov to see how they thrive in the new culture centred on McDavid and backchecking.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia

You drunk? Del Zotto just played 23.5 minutes a game for a team that made the playoffs. He played many of those games with an injury that required surgery 2/3 into the season. They're not trading him, let alone for Nail freakin' Yakupov. And I know you said "basis" but Yakupov is not the basis for a trade for a guy that led the team in ice time last year.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
I'd simply expect that, within a four season sample, the most recent outing would also be the most heavily scrutinized. I did not mean to imply that the past three seasons should be seen, as a whole, to be entirely less valuable.

Sure, if you're comparing individual seasons with each other, which we're not because it makes no sense.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You drunk? Del Zotto just played 23.5 minutes a game for a team that made the playoffs. He played many of those games with an injury that required surgery 2/3 into the season. They're not trading him, let alone for Nail freakin' Yakupov. And I know you said "basis" but Yakupov is not the basis for a trade for a guy that led the team in ice time last year.

I wouldn't rule out a MDZ trade, unless he gets extended.

Maybe not for Yakupov, but UFAs like MDZ (and Mason and Neuvirth) are not safe from being traded, no matter how important they were to the Flyers making the playoffs last season.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007

Just a couple of questions in response to your post. First, what exactly do you see the Flyers doing this year? Are we a legit cup contender this year? If you do then yes you have to keep him. I however don't think we are and therefore ANYBODY should be available if it makes sense for us. Maybe that's for today, maybe that's for tomorrow but you have to be open to the idea.

Second, where does MDZ fit in on our blue line once the kids start taking over. Ghost is top 4 right now and may push for being legit top pairing in all situations. Provo SHOULD be on the team this year and most likely top 4 also. As much as I like him, Gudas was on our top pairing last year and he's a borderline #4 at best. THAT should tell you a lot about the state of our defense. I like MDZ but I just don't see him as on our top 4 once the kids come in. I think Morin has a real chance of making the team this year on the bottom pairing to get his feet wet in the NHL. If we trade MDZ, we could run with Ghost/Gudas, Provo/Streit, and McD/Morin or something like that.

Last, if the trade was Yak + Edm 1st (top 5 protected) for MDZ + our 2nd you wouldn't even consider it because MDZ play 23.5 mins per game for us last year? Seeing where this team is today and where the defense should be in 3 years, I'd definitely be open to the idea.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
What?

Last 4 years>>most recent season when evaluating players, especially for players in their prime. Are you trying to dispute this?

Players that do well for playoff teams should have their statistics less scrutinized than someone that's been on a bottom feeder the last four. I believe fortunes have changed for Edmonton but there is no disputing playing from way behind gets you easier opportunities than a close to the vest type game.

I have no desire to see Simmonds traded unless the return is so ridiculous you have to make the move. Of course that may change in the following years.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I wouldn't rule out a MDZ trade, unless he gets extended.

Maybe not for Yakupov, but UFAs like MDZ (and Mason and Neuvirth) are not safe from being traded, no matter how important they were to the Flyers making the playoffs last season.

I agree. Out of our current starters Ghost is my only untouchable and I want to hold on to Radko.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Just a couple of questions in response to your post. First, what exactly do you see the Flyers doing this year? Are we a legit cup contender this year? If you do then yes you have to keep him. I however don't think we are and therefore ANYBODY should be available if it makes sense for us. Maybe that's for today, maybe that's for tomorrow but you have to be open to the idea.

Second, where does MDZ fit in on our blue line once the kids start taking over. Ghost is top 4 right now and may push for being legit top pairing in all situations. Provo SHOULD be on the team this year and most likely top 4 also. As much as I like him, Gudas was on our top pairing last year and he's a borderline #4 at best. THAT should tell you a lot about the state of our defense. I like MDZ but I just don't see him as on our top 4 once the kids come in. I think Morin has a real chance of making the team this year on the bottom pairing to get his feet wet in the NHL. If we trade MDZ, we could run with Ghost/Gudas, Provo/Streit, and McD/Morin or something like that.

Last, if the trade was Yak + Edm 1st (top 5 protected) for MDZ + our 2nd you wouldn't even consider it because MDZ play 23.5 mins per game for us last year? Seeing where this team is today and where the defense should be in 3 years, I'd definitely be open to the idea.
I don't disagree with anything you said and I'd be willing to trade Del Zotto this year. If he has a decent year, he's going to want more money than he's worth. However, I don't see Hextall trading him before Provorov proves he can play considerable minutes. The only issue I had with your post before was talking about trading him for Yakupov. Yakupov doesn't come close to the value that Del Zotto provides to the Flyers. I feel it'd be hard to trade Del Zotto, as he's likely considerably more valuable to the Flyers than what another team would be willing to trade for him.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
As for the original proposal, if Yakupov and Eberle had this kind of value, they would've been traded a long time ago and Hall would probably still be an Oiler.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
OPs deal seems even to me (value wise, not with $$ factored in) but I'll just say this, Yak and Eberle seem like the exact opposite of the kind of guys Hextall seems to like.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
So many things wrong with this offer...I have no use for Eberle or Yakupov. Neither are as valuable as Simmonds too the Flyers, Especially after not resigning Ryan White. Simmonds protects teammates while scoring nearly 40 goals, Eberle and Yakupov are people needing protection and barely score 40 goals COMBINED. Salaries are laughable. Simmonds gets less then 4 million a year while Eberle gets 6 per and Yakupov is a RFA after 1 year basically. The only way Simmonds get sent to Edmonton is if MacDonald or Streit is going back

Ok look.. Simmonds has never ever come close to scoring 40 goals and had 32 this year. Eberle missed 13 games and scored 25 goals which is about 30 if he played 82. Honestly Eberle would have scored more than 30 the way he was potting them with Mcdavid.

The most valuable player in this deal is obviously Simmonds as he puts up 50-60 points consistently, scores 25-30 goals consistently, plays with grit, he's a leader and he has a very solid contract. Do I think it's a slight overpayment from the Oilers? Maybe slightly. Would the flyers do it? Hell no. Would the Oilers accept? yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad