Proposal: Phi - Edm

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Take out the 2nd and you have a deal.

Its still overpayment for Simmonds as I think Yakupov is going to get better but I do this deal. It adds more size and grit to our wings.

Simmonds + 4 million in cap space >>> Eberle +Yak+2nd.

MustardTigers

Aug 2, 2013
Just to start, this won't work for the Flyers cap.

I looked at it on General Fanager and it works with the assumption that Gordon gets dropped to the AHL and Schenn signs for a reasonable deal, but I see your point.

I would rephrase my original offer to Simmonds for Eberle + Yakupov (50% retained) and a 3rd round pick.

MustardTigers

Aug 2, 2013
So the Flyers more than double their cap hit (8.5 vs 3.975) for a total of 10 more combined points? Why on earth would they do that?

Eberle - G - Voracek
Schenn - Coots - Raffl
Read - Laughton - Yakupov
Weise - Cousins - Bellemare

IMO this is an improvement that will provide Philly with the top line winger they need while also improving scoring depth. Yakupov is also only 22 years old and could age well over the next three seasons with the emerging youth core of young Dmen.

I really like Simmonds, but I also know his goal scoring is inflated by standing in front of the net and potting PP goals. I think they can trade him while his value is at an all-time high and get a top line winger and a young former top prospect.

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
Simmonds vs Eberle is only a minor upgrade if you pretend that every other facet of hockey outside of just overall point production has no bearing on a teams success. Kind of like Edmonton just did for the past 7 years.

Though be careful not to undervalue a player just because he is an Edmonton Oiler. While Simmonds bring more he will not bring Edmonton that much closer to a playoff spot. Team game and no one player contributes to a team's success or failure. Simmonds is no different.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
In order for Philly to even be able to consider this deal, Edmonton would also have to take back Andrew MacDonald. (Streit is no simple throw in, nor is Read, and he doesn't make enough money anyway.)

Until the cap issues are resolved, there isn't much point in addressing the value proposition.

I agree the cap hit needs to be closer but were not taking THAT contract for the next 4 years.

So the Flyers more than double their cap hit (8.5 vs 3.975) for a total of 10 more combined points? Why on earth would they do that?

That's an exaggerated comment. Eberle outproduces or at least matches Simmonds offensive output. Eberle is a 60-65 point winger and Simmonds is a 60 point winger. Yakupov will at least get you 30 points per year. A 2nd round pick is not a throw away... if it is in your mind, then just trade the Oilers; Laberge, Hart, Allison, Aube-Kubel, Hagg and anyone else on your team drafted after the 2nd round (Gostisbehere :) ) for nothing... we'll value them.

If you want to say that it doesn't work for cap purposes or you prefer Simmonds over the Oilers players, because they are not even close to Simmonds defensively... then I get that. If Yak and Eberle were even average defensively, this trade would not be on the table.

Just to start, this won't work for the Flyers cap.

This comment is fair and makes complete sense.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Simmonds + 4 million in cap space >>> Eberle +Yak+2nd.

Yeah, it's a bit bewildering that people think that this is fair value for Simmonds.

This a crushing hit to our cap that forces a trade to even hope to sign Schenn, and I also don't particularly care for Yakupov in this sort of a trade.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I really like Simmonds, but I also know his goal scoring is inflated by standing in front of the net and potting PP goals.
the top 3 goal scorers overall in the league last year were, not coincidentally, also the top 3 PP goal scorers in the league (ovie/kane/benn)

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yeah, it's a bit bewildering that people think that this is fair value for Simmonds.

This a crushing hit to our cap that forces a trade to even hope to sign Schenn, and I also don't particularly care for Yakupov in this sort of a trade.

I don't think many are suggesting that its fair value for Simmonds. Even though the value is in Edmonton's favor, I don't see a reason why this makes much sense for us. If we are moving Eberle+, we need another defenseman coming back. If not, we need Eberle's offensive instincts. We have a lot of talent, but Eberle is the only real proven sniper in the group.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Eberle - G - Voracek
Schenn - Coots - Raffl
Read - Laughton - Yakupov
Weise - Cousins - Bellemare

IMO this is an improvement that will provide Philly with the top line winger they need while also improving scoring depth. Yakupov is also only 22 years old and could age well over the next three seasons with the emerging youth core of young Dmen.

I really like Simmonds, but I also know his goal scoring is inflated by standing in front of the net and potting PP goals. I think they can trade him while his value is at an all-time high and get a top line winger and a young former top prospect.

So much fail:

Eberle is a RW, no proof he can be a LW.
Philly has a top line winger....actually 3 in Voracek, Simmonds and Schenn.
Laughton is a winger now.
Simmonds was 15th in EVEN STRENGTH points for RW. This myth of only producing on the PP must die.

Yak adds depth. Yup. Philly will offer you a 2nd for Yak and a 4th. You keep Eberle and your 2nd, we keep Simmonds.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
So much fail:

Eberle is a RW, no proof he can be a LW.
Philly has a top line winger....actually 3 in Voracek, Simmonds and Schenn.
Laughton is a winger now.
Simmonds was 15th in EVEN STRENGTH points for RW. This myth of only producing on the PP must die.

Yak adds depth. Yup. Philly will offer you a 2nd for Yak and a 4th. You keep Eberle and your 2nd, we keep Simmonds.

No thanks but we will offer you a second for Simmonds. We also keep Eberle and our second.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
In order for Philly to even be able to consider this deal, Edmonton would also have to take back Andrew MacDonald. (Streit is no simple throw in, nor is Read, and he doesn't make enough money anyway.)

Until the cap issues are resolved, there isn't much point in addressing the value proposition.

I agree. However I am a big fan of Simmers but this trade proposal has some merit to it. Heck bring up MDZ to chia and who knows what will happen :sarcasm:.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
No thanks but we will offer you a second for Simmonds. We also keep Eberle and our second.

Dude, I get you are trying to do the thing where you make a nonsensical counter offer to make a point / out of bitterness / rile up the other guy, but here you overshot nonsensical and hit completely lame instead.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
So many things wrong with this offer...I have no use for Eberle or Yakupov. Neither are as valuable as Simmonds too the Flyers, Especially after not resigning Ryan White. Simmonds protects teammates while scoring nearly 40 goals, Eberle and Yakupov are people needing protection and barely score 40 goals COMBINED. Salaries are laughable. Simmonds gets less then 4 million a year while Eberle gets 6 per and Yakupov is a RFA after 1 year basically. The only way Simmonds get sent to Edmonton is if MacDonald or Streit is going back

First of all, nobody in the NHL needs player protection. There are referees in the league and rules that do this. Secondly, Simmonds finally broke the 30 goal threshold and he scored 32. If he scored "nearly 40 goals" then so did Henrique and Palmieri. Prior to this year, Eberle and Simmonds scored pretty much the same amount while Eberle is a better playmaker. Are we sure Simmonds is even better than Eberle?

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Yeah you'd be saving money and get better production.

How does Simmonds produce more than Eberle?

Over the last 4 years, Eberle produces 1.98 P/60 to Simmonds' 1.69. (this doesn't include Eberle's 34g, 76p seasons btw)

Eberle averages: .33gpg, .76ppg

Simmonds averages: .37 gpg, .71 ppg

yeah....no

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
First of all, nobody in the NHL needs player protection. There are referees in the league and rules that do this. Secondly, Simmonds finally broke the 30 goal threshold and he scored 32. If he scored "nearly 40 goals" then so did Henrique and Palmieri. Prior to this year, Eberle and Simmonds scored pretty much the same amount while Eberle is a better playmaker. Are we sure Simmonds is even better than Eberle?

I wonder how many of your 4,000 posts are responses to Flyers threads?

Every GM in the league would take Simmonds over Eberle.

Simmonds was 32nd in the league in Points Per 60 minutes played last season (best on Flyers ahead of even Giroux).

Eberle was 85th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad