Proposal: Phi - Edm

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
I wonder how many of your 4,000 posts are responses to Flyers threads?

Every GM in the league would take Simmonds over Eberle.

Simmonds was 32nd in the league in Points Per 60 minutes played last season (best on Flyers ahead of even Giroux).

Eberle was 85th.

Should I take more stock in 80 games or ~300? Again, I didnt even include Eberle's career year in there.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
First of all, nobody in the NHL needs player protection. There are referees in the league and rules that do this. Secondly, Simmonds finally broke the 30 goal threshold and he scored 32. If he scored "nearly 40 goals" then so did Henrique and Palmieri. Prior to this year, Eberle and Simmonds scored pretty much the same amount while Eberle is a better playmaker. Are we sure Simmonds is even better than Eberle?

Isn't Eberle's cap hit like 50 percent higher than Simmonds? I don't see that accounted for here...

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Would love to have Simmonds, but this doesn't make sense for either team. Philly fans have already mentioned the cap. For us, not only does it sacrifice our depth, but it disturbs what looks like decent balance. I like Simmonds game better than Ebs, but when you already have Looch on that line to do the heavy lifting, I think Ebs is the better compliment to Looch-McD. Ebs can create his own opportunities and space, Simmonds is similar to Looch in where the offence is going to come from.

In a similar sense, Simmonds is a much better compliment to Giroux than Eberle or Yak could ever be.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Isn't Eberle's cap hit like 50 percent higher than Simmonds? I don't see that accounted for here...

Eberle's cap hit is ~2 million more, you're correct! Now let's talk about how Eberle is a year and a half younger and a cerebral player who will probably age well. On the other hand, Simmonds is the older player who relies on physical tools and is physical. Which player is likely to age better? I can't wait to see his next contract and I hope the Flyers are the ones who pay it.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Yeah, it's a bit bewildering that people think that this is fair value for Simmonds.

This a crushing hit to our cap that forces a trade to even hope to sign Schenn, and I also don't particularly care for Yakupov in this sort of a trade.
Yeah and with Giroux & Konecny we really don't need a smurf like Eberle in the top 6 either - esp. if it costs Simmonds. Pass.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Hmm a four year sample isn't quite as volatile as one season.

I'd simply expect that, within a four season sample, the most recent outing would also be the most heavily scrutinized. I did not mean to imply that the past three seasons should be seen, as a whole, to be entirely less valuable.

Last edited:

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
So many things wrong with this offer...I have no use for Eberle or Yakupov. Neither are as valuable as Simmonds too the Flyers, Especially after not resigning Ryan White. Simmonds protects teammates while scoring nearly 40 goals, Eberle and Yakupov are people needing protection and barely score 40 goals COMBINED. Salaries are laughable. Simmonds gets less then 4 million a year while Eberle gets 6 per and Yakupov is a RFA after 1 year basically. The only way Simmonds get sent to Edmonton is if MacDonald or Streit is going back

When has Simmond's ever come close to near 40 goals? I am curious where you got that

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Yakupov is not valued as just a throw in, or sweetener on a trade in the NHL by the Oilers. If he was he might have been traded awhile ago. Being a first overall pick would be the reason. Right now my thoughts are he'll stay with the Oilers unless a decent trade comes along. Two more years till he's a ufa. If I was a GM in the NHL I'd try my best at improving him till he becomes a ufa. Only way I would trade him is for 1st at trade deadline which would end up being a low first anyways.
If Oilers management gave him away for just a third or as a add in a trade would be a major fail. That's the reason I keep him till he becomes a ufa.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Should I take more stock in 80 games or ~300? Again, I didnt even include Eberle's career year in there.

Use Simmonds stats since he became a Flyers vs. Eberle's stats since he became an Oiler, or the same time. Whatever.

They're comparable players statistically (with Eberle winning that, but not by a landslide) and Simmonds adds elements that Eberle doesn't.

I'm a Flyers fan, which automatically makes you assume bias, but I'd take Simmonds as well over Jordan.

Not sure of many people who wouldn't, unless they already are full of gritty wingers that can score.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Yakupov is not valued as just a throw in, or sweetener on a trade in the NHL by the Oilers. If he was he might have been traded awhile ago. Being a first overall pick would be the reason. Right now my thoughts are he'll stay with the Oilers unless a decent trade comes along. Two more years till he's a ufa. If I was a GM in the NHL I'd try my best at improving him till he becomes a ufa. Only way I would trade him is for 1st at trade deadline which would end up being a low first anyways.
If Oilers management gave him away for just a third or as a add in a trade would be a major fail. That's the reason I keep him till he becomes a ufa.

Rather than do the "LULZ he isn't worth that"

I'll say I agree. You keep him, or you trade him for a 1st or so. Now, the latter isn't going to happen unless he improves.

BUT you keep him to wait and see I think...until/if he becomes a distraction. Then you toss him.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I do agree with your point (that he isn't a 40 goal scorer), but he did get 32 last season. Not an insane statement.

Yes...it is an insane comment.

Before this past season, saying Simmonds was a 30 goal guy could be considered a non- insane comment considering he had 28, paced for 27, 29, paced for 31 over the last 4 years. It's pretty close.

Saying Simmonds nearly scored 40 when he got 32 IS insane. Simmonds is a guy who can get 30 and 30. No need to stretch things to say any more.

In the end, few people would rather Eberle over Simmonds but it's still close...not like Yak to Simmonds for example. But when you add in cap hit, the gap becomes very large. Over 2 million more in cap hit is a big thing and cannot be ignored.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Yes...it is an insane comment.

Before this past season, saying Simmonds was a 30 goal guy could be considered a non- insane comment considering he had 28, paced for 27, 29, paced for 31 over the last 4 years. It's pretty close.

Saying Simmonds nearly scored 40 when he got 32 IS insane. Simmonds is a guy who can get 30 and 30. No need to stretch things to say any more.

In the end, few people would rather Eberle over Simmonds but it's still close...not like Yak to Simmonds for example. But when you add in cap hit, the gap becomes very large. Over 2 million more in cap hit is a big thing and cannot be ignored.

Agree to disagree. Cest la vie.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Did a PHI fan actually propose this?
Easy yes from EDM ..

Simmonds is cheaper and better than Eberle in terms of what Chia wants in top 6... Yakupov and a 2nd arent really worth much to Edmonton.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Simmonds + Read for Eberle 1mil retained + Yakupov + 3rd

If we don't have to retain on Eberle I'd add a 2018 2nd

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Smantzas should be banned for trolling any and all Flyers related threads.

Anway..

Back to the other non-trolls here..

There probably isnt a realistic trade to be made between Philly and Edmonton around Simmonds. They arent shopping him or entering a rebuild. If so then maybe we would have a different story.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Lucic - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Pouliot - RNH - Simmonds
Maroon - Draisaitl - Read
Hendricks - Letestu - Kassian

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Fayne
Davidson - Reinhart

Wouldn't be the highest scoring team but they would be extremely hard to play against.

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
Don't really see the need for either team. Philly is happy with simmonds, oilers have already added enough toughness to balance the roster. Plus, say what you want about eberle, the guy has sick hands and just scores goals. Playing with some bigger players this year will do wonders for his game. I wouldn't be in a rush to move him yet.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Don't really see the need for either team. Philly is happy with simmonds, oilers have already added enough toughness to balance the roster. Plus, say what you want about eberle, the guy has sick hands and just scores goals. Playing with some bigger players this year will do wonders for his game. I wouldn't be in a rush to move him yet.

Your point is certainly valid. That said after being a basement dweller and easy to play team for years I'd like to return to the type of team we had in 2006, with Pronger, Smyth, Peca, etc..we we're exactly hard to play against. Having that same edge with McDavid, RNH and Draisaitl up the middle could equal some real success.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Oilers give up waaaay to much just to add some grit? No thanks

Eberle produces more offense and Yak will likely be given a top 6 role this year. Also I doubt that Philly can afford takingon $8+ mill while only giving away $4+ mil.

slightly more, if you are looking at pt totals only.
Simmonds is easily the better player. 30ish goal/60ish pt winger with grit >> one dimensional 60 pt winger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad