Proposal: Phi - Edm

MustardTigers

Aug 2, 2013
Flyers: Eberle + Yakupov + 2017 2nd round pick
Edmonton: Wayne Simmonds

Flyers get a great winger in Eberle and roll the dice with Yakupov to see if he can emerge as a top end winger.
Continued culture change for Edmonton who get a gritty player who will greatly help their power play, all while having one of the best contracts in the NHL. This move prevents Edmonton from running into trouble with their cap when having to extend Draisaitl and a year after extending McJesus (who will want and deserve the most expensive post ELC contract in the league's history).

Edit: Given the cap discussion I would rework this into
Flyers: Eberle + Yakupov (50%) retained + 2017 3rd round pick

Given there are fans on both sides who like/dislike this deal I feel like it is close to even.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2012
Inner Space

Flyers get a great winger in Eberle and roll the dice with Yakupov to see if he can emerge as a top end winger.
Continued culture change for Edmonton who get a gritty player who will greatly help their power play, all while having one of the best contracts in the NHL. This move prevents Edmonton from running into trouble with their cap when having to extend Draisaitl and a year after extending McJesus (who will want and deserve the most expensive post ELC contract in the league's history).

I think as a flyers fan, I like it? I'm not really sure... lol.

BeastMode97

Jan 4, 2015

Oilers give up waaaay to much just to add some grit? No thanks

Eberle produces more offense and Yak will likely be given a top 6 role this year. Also I doubt that Philly can afford takingon $8+ mill while only giving away $4+ mil.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
In order for Philly to even be able to consider this deal, Edmonton would also have to take back Andrew MacDonald. (Streit is no simple throw in, nor is Read, and he doesn't make enough money anyway.)

Until the cap issues are resolved, there isn't much point in addressing the value proposition.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Simmonds is a solid player, but we aren't as desperate for a guy like him now that we have Lucic, and to a lesser extent Maroon and Kassian.

Any other key pieces we trade still need to go towards a top 4 RHD, not another power forward winger.

Plus cap for Philly doesn't work.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Simmons is great but the oilers can't give up two right wings for him. Depth chart on the right wing isn't so good. Maybe Pouliot + yaks + prospect.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Oilers give up waaaay to much just to add some grit? No thanks

Eberle produces more offense and Yak will likely be given a top 6 role this year. Also I doubt that Philly can afford takingon $8+ mill while only giving away $4+ mil.

Simmonds provides a hell of a lot more than just grit.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
This one doesn't make a ton of sense. I love the idea of having Lucic and Simmonds on the same line but its a luxury we can't really afford to chase. Why would the Flyers consider this anyway? Eberle MAY put up more points but its a pretty lateral move with Philly giving up their cheaper, grittier top line RW.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

Ummm no.:shakehead

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
something like Pouliot + Yakupov + griffin reinhart/Anton slepyshev

FNFN

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Good value and almost a fair deal under normal circumstances I think (Oilers give up a wee much) but it doesn't work for two reasons I think:

Doesn't work with the Flyers cap.

Goes completely against the identity and team that Hextall/Hakstol seem to be building towards, which involves two-way centers and, if not two-way, then gritty wingers. Yakupov and Eberle can't really be described as either.

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016

Ignoring the cap issues, this deal doesn't add anything for Edmonton while technically making their team weaker. While there is an argument that Simmons is worth more than Eberle, it is a minor upgrade at best for two assets that could be used to fix other positions.

Decline from Edmonton, and bringing the cap back in, decline from Philadelphia.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary

No RHD. Pass.
Plus it wipes out what little depth the Oilers have on RW

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011
So many things wrong with this offer...I have no use for Eberle or Yakupov. Neither are as valuable as Simmonds too the Flyers, Especially after not resigning Ryan White. Simmonds protects teammates while scoring nearly 40 goals, Eberle and Yakupov are people needing protection and barely score 40 goals COMBINED. Salaries are laughable. Simmonds gets less then 4 million a year while Eberle gets 6 per and Yakupov is a RFA after 1 year basically. The only way Simmonds get sent to Edmonton is if MacDonald or Streit is going back

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ignoring the cap issues, this deal doesn't add anything for Edmonton while technically making their team weaker. While there is an argument that Simmons is worth more than Eberle, it is a minor upgrade at best for two assets that could be used to fix other positions.

Decline from Edmonton, and bringing the cap back in, decline from Philadelphia.

Simmonds vs Eberle is only a minor upgrade if you pretend that every other facet of hockey outside of just overall point production has no bearing on a teams success. Kind of like Edmonton just did for the past 7 years.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
So the Flyers more than double their cap hit (8.5 vs 3.975) for a total of 10 more combined points? Why on earth would they do that?

oilers4life

Jun 1, 2016

we neede a rhd who can run the powerplay unless one of those coome back i think us oilers fans would say noo

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa

Take out the 2nd and you have a deal.

Its still overpayment for Simmonds as I think Yakupov is going to get better but I do this deal. It adds more size and grit to our wings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad