Confirmed Trade: [PHI/BUF] Rasmus Ristolainen for Robert Hagg, 2021 1st round pick, 2023 2nd round pick

member 334057

I laughed at the return, I would have never thought in any lifetime Ristolainen would return that.
I think from what Flyer fans were saying Fletcher coveted Risto for some reason and had been trying to get him for a while. He must have saw something that made him look past all of the flaws in his game, or just figured his partner could help cover for his shortcomings. Whatever it was he was willing to give up a lot for him.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Not really. Hagg has the worst GF% on an regular dman on the Sabres, and by a wide margin. 2nd worst xGF%.

.......sooooooo he's taken on Risto's general role on the Sabres as an analytical black hole. The statement you quoted wasn't incorrect.

As an aside -- that he has the worst GF% on the Sabres is mildly surprising. You wouldn't know it by watching him play; he hasn't been awful by any stretch. I suppose the reason why correlates to the fact that he pretty much is a big, fat nothing offensively.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Trading Hagg was supposed to be a day of ultimate joy. Fletcher took that away. He has sucked any breath of positivity out of the Flyers. It is going to take years and years to recover from his actions.

really sucks considering what assets and cap space he had going in

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Not really. Hagg has the worst GF% on an regular dman on the Sabres, and by a wide margin. 2nd worst xGF%.

Sanheim and Risto are the only Flyers dmen with a xGF% anywhere close to 50.

What are you talking about? They are both at 43% xGF. Not even close to 50.

6b67dce7c406add2df3b5599e697e61a.png

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
.......sooooooo he's taken on Risto's general role on the Sabres as an analytical black hole. The statement you quoted wasn't incorrect.

As an aside -- that he has the worst GF% on the Sabres is mildly surprising. You wouldn't know it by watching him play; he hasn't been awful by any stretch. I suppose the reason why correlates to the fact that he pretty much is a big, fat nothing offensively.

Hagg started off strong and was getting well deserved praise from fans. The whole team went off the rails eventually so it wasn't all that noticeable when it happened to Hagg. After being separated from Pysyk, he has regressed back to what he is. Turns out Pysyk was the strongest link, which has tracked when Pysyk is paired with other defenders too.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Griffin Reinhart for Matt Barzal and a 2nd says hi.
Can't really judge a trade solely on the pick used on the player. While they would have lost it anyway, I believe the Oilers were going to take Erikson-Ek. It was essentially Reinhart for the 16th overall pick and 33rd pick in a very deep draft.

Reactions: virothepyro

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
If you can see the future then sure it's easy to spot. Reinhart was traded for picks.

It's not like they gave up the pick when they had no clue where/who it would be; they made that trade on the draft floor. I think most fans who follow the draft were stunned that Barzal had fallen that far (Boston's three consecutive picks in that draft were a true comedy of errors). And I also think we've all seen guys who are pure defensive players in juniors fail to ever become NHLers before, too, which is exactly how Reinhart was tracking. That trade looked bad the moment Edmonton made it.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
It's not like they gave up the pick when they had no clue where/who it would be; they made that trade on the draft floor. I think most fans who follow the draft were stunned that Barzal had fallen that far (Boston's three consecutive picks in that draft were a true comedy of errors). And I also think we've all seen guys who are pure defensive players in juniors fail to ever become NHLers before, too, which is exactly how Reinhart was tracking. That trade looked bad the moment Edmonton made it.

Reinhart was traded for picks.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Can't really judge a trade solely on the pick used on the player. While they would have lost it anyway, I believe the Oilers were going to take Erikson-Ek. It was essentially Reinhart for the 16th overall pick and 33rd pick in a very deep draft.
I mean, this is in the context of comparing to the Risto trade, which was for picks and a contract. It is directly comparable.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I mean, this is in the context of comparing to the Risto trade, which was for picks and a contract. It is directly comparable.
You can't use the player picked by the team that got the pick as the primary emphasis (Barzal), because we have no idea whether the Oilers would make the same pick. While 2015 was an insanely deep draft which made the 16th overall pick more valuable than usual, the pick should be valued as the average expected return of the pick, and not the player drafted with it. Atleast on the Oilers side. On the Isles side it can be evaluated that way, since the trade was made at the time of the pick where the Isles knew the entire available draft board.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
You can't use the player picked by the team that got the pick as the primary emphasis (Barzal), because we have no idea whether the Oilers would make the same pick. While 2015 was an insanely deep draft which made the 16th overall pick more valuable than usual, the pick should be valued as the average expected return of the pick, and not the player drafted with it. Atleast on the Oilers side. On the Isles side it can be evaluated that way, since the trade was made at the time of the pick where the Isles knew the entire available draft board.
Dude, fine. Griffin Reinhart for essentially the same compensation as Risto. They are comparably bad. I think Reinhart is worse, because 2015 was known to be an insane draft at the time of the trade, whereas 2021 was probably considered the weakest draft in maybe 9 years. I guarantee the weakness of this draft is the primary reason Philly felt comfortable.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Dude, fine. Griffin Reinhart for essentially the same compensation as Risto. They are comparably bad. I think Reinhart is worse, because 2015 was known to be an insane draft at the time of the trade, whereas 2021 was probably considered the weakest draft in maybe 9 years. I guarantee the weakness of this draft is the primary reason Philly felt comfortable.
2017 was viewed similarly, this draft just had more uncertainty.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Reinhart was traded for picks.
And every single poster on this board would have taken Barzal.

2015 draft was really weird with the disconnect between how the GM's valued picks and players vs. how these boards valued them.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
The crazy thing is, looking back at that draft day, the Reinhart trade happened AFTER the Bruins got Zbroil, DeBrusk and Senyshyn. And there were at least 2 talents that people were surprised the Bruins had passed on.

I know it was probably agreed upon days before, but when Chiarelli saw three players sitting there at 16 that he didnt expect to have a crack at, you'd think he would've pulled the plug and drafted their pick. Barzal, Connor or Boeser riding shotgun with McDavid from draft day onwards would've been a hell of a thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad