Confirmed Trade: [PHI/BUF] Rasmus Ristolainen for Robert Hagg, 2021 1st round pick, 2023 2nd round pick

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Worse than the Reinhart deal? Not a chance.
They traded what will be a high first and 2nd for nothing, just like us. Ristolainen and Hagg were a swap as they both are similar level of player. Let’s not also forget that they had to pay to move Ghost to fit in Ristos contract.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
They traded what will be a high first and 2nd for nothing, just like us. Ristolainen and Hagg were a swap as they both are similar level of player. Let’s not also forget that they had to pay to move Ghost to fit in Ristos contract.

They gave up last years first in a crappy draft, not this year. Still an overpay, but should be clarified.

Reactions: ujju2

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

I guess it remains to be seen. But for 16 and 33 in 2015 we could have had one of Barzal/Connor/Chabot AND Aho. Imagine a top 6 with McDavid, Drai, Hall, Nuge, Aho, and one of Barzal/Connor. Or a top 6 with McDavid, Drai, Hall, Nuge, Aho, and Eberle, with Chabot on D.

Of course there's no reason to predict those are the guys we would have taken (especially Aho), but the possibilities compared to what we ended up with is just sickening.

Edit: considering they traded last year's 1st and not this year's, I think the choice of Connor/Barzal/Chabot at 16 in 2015 tilts this towards the Reinhart deal being worse.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I guess it remains to be seen. But for 16 and 33 in 2015 we could have had one of Barzal/Connor/Chabot AND Aho. Imagine a top 6 with McDavid, Drai, Hall, Nuge, Aho, and one of Barzal/Connor. Or a top 6 with McDavid, Drai, Hall, Nuge, Aho, and Eberle, with Chabot on D.

Of course there's no reason to predict those are the guys we would have taken (especially Aho), but the possibilities compared to what we ended up with is just sickening.

Edit: considering they traded last year's 1st and not this year's, I think the choice of Connor/Barzal/Chabot at 16 in 2015 tilts this towards the Reinhart deal being worse.
Right now based off standings it would be 9th OA and 41 overall which will land them a crazy good player.
What I think makes this worse than the Reinhart deal is Ristolainen actually takes a good amount of capspace. Like, that’s another 2nd/late 1st of bad cap

Reactions: hn777

TheHelmet

Feb 10, 2021
Pat Laftonaines Trophy Room
Hated Risto as a player in Buffalo

He doesn't understand basic concepts like keeping a player to the outside.
-----
Example: if an opponent tried passing the puck off the boards to his teammate, Risto would completely sell out trying to intercept the pass.
Like my guy they are NOT a threat from where they are, and now you are completely out of the play just blindly chasing the puck.

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011
Why would they fire this outstanding trade history? Chuck Fletcher Trade History - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Burns, Stewart, Pomminville...*shudders (omg I forgot about the leddy trade )

And now Yeo too...I am a Wild fan and this trade feels like losing a prime Brent Burns in terms of getting ripped off. I'm partially stealing this from someone, but, he sheds draft picks like tips at a bar (Russo? I think Russo)

Last edited:
Reactions: Larry44

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I don't understand why no one has ever played him at RW. He's big, a decent skater, likes to go to the net, physical in the corner and not great a defense. Wouldn't it make sense to maximize what he's good at and minimize what he struggles with?

I was suggesting this before ED to play him a season at RW. Thus hed count as a F in protections. He might work as a power forward type. Buffalo used him PP slot player.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I still can’t believe this trade happened. Before it happened, Sabres fans online had been killing Adams for protecting Risto in the ED over Will Borgen, who was a healthy scratch for Seattle for 20 games.

Reactions: majormajor

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hagg has pretty much same stats as Risto at third of price

Not really. Hagg has the worst GF% on an regular dman on the Sabres, and by a wide margin. 2nd worst xGF%.

Sanheim and Risto are the only Flyers dmen with a xGF% anywhere close to 50.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Not really. Hagg has the worst GF% on an regular dman on the Sabres, and by a wide margin. 2nd worst xGF%.

Sanheim and Risto are the only Flyers dmen with a xGF% anywhere close to 50.
What the heck happened to Provorov? He was my favorite defenseman in that draft and was really good his first few years. Seems like his play has really dropped off the last couple of seasons.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Is the first round pick protected at least? or is Philly going to give up a good one?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Probably my debatably trolling behavior to bring it back to public memory in a different thread which I cringe to think in hindsight cos prob came across as a total d bag:laugh::laugh:Look, the truth is, Risto's a very good looking young man. With dreamy blue eyes and flowing golden locks, you have to pay a premium for him because tickets won't sell themselves.

I feel for you Flyers fans. Just astonishing asset mismanagement.
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

I guess you need to find something to be cheerful about when you follow the league's 31st best team over the last 10 years. Weird how Buffalo's defense is still getting shredded without Risto around to blame for it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Is the first round pick protected at least? or is Philly going to give up a good one?

Philly's first rounder was in this past summer's draft, pick #14, which the Sabres used on Isak Rosen.

Among others, some notably good players still on the board there were G's Wallstedt and Cossa.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
I guess you need to find something to be cheerful about when you follow the league's 31st best team over the last 10 years. Weird how Buffalo's defense is still getting shredded without Risto around to blame for it.
LMAO yeah Buffalo Sabres 2021-2022 season award:

WE WON A TRADE FINALLY WOOO!! Good luck with your team dude. Hope you have a good day. I understand it's a sensitive subject....:laugh::laugh::eek:

& Risto is actually a pretty solid player but obviously not a #1.

He was not good defensively in Buf. Good to hear he's at least keeping up. Points aren't everything, and they'll come eventually.

It was a weak draft. You didn't lose a superstar.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad