Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
First time watching Rubstov this year. He is a lot bigger then I remember. Did he grow or did I just forget?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It's funny. Ever since the Hlinka, where I really thought he looked like a player, Hayton has not impressed me with his consistency or decisions. Watching him today he looked solid to me in the 1st. He's on Frost's wing today, which he's almost never at.

That's a statement about Frost, not Hayton. He makes teammates better and calms their games down.

First time watching Rubstov this year. He is a lot bigger then I remember. Did he grow or did I just forget?

He was actually smaller than people thought when measured. I honestly think it's the #98. Not a slimming number :laugh:

Am I wrong to say Rubstov had an invisible 1st period?

I was really expecting him to have a great year.

No, he was pretty invisible that period. Didn't play a ton though, and it's a back-to-back coming off an illness fwiw.

I don't know what happened. My handful of viewings have been "OK," but there's something missing from last year tbh. I watched almost all his Chicoutimi games when he came over, and he looked excellent. Maybe injuries sapping him? His skating has always needed some refining, but he looks a little slower, and that relentless tenacity forechecking and backchecking and in the corners hasn't quite been there to me. I thought he needed to add muscle last year too, but that's not the issue right now. You're not wrong if you want more watching him. Again, can't stress how good he was in the Q last year, shift-to-shift.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014

I’d agree. I got tricked thinking 88 was him a lot of shift which made it seem like he was getting double shifted.

Speaking of numbers, do you think Hexy would give out number 96 and 98 if Lindblom and Rubstov asked for them? Hexy seems like he would be old school and only give out low numbers.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

I think he only had 2 or 3 5v5 shifts, 1 PP shift, and 1 PK shift in the 1st. But yes, he needs to be better. He isn't noticeable.

In contrast, I was also checking in on the SSM vs Guelph game as well. Frost was flashing awesomeness almost every shift.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I don't know what happened. My handful of viewings have been "OK," but there's something missing from last year tbh. I watched almost all his Chicoutimi games when he came over, and he looked excellent. Maybe injuries sapping him? His skating has always needed some refining, but he looks a little slower, and that relentless tenacity forechecking and backchecking and in the corners hasn't quite been there to me. I thought he needed to add muscle last year too, but that's not the issue right now. You're not wrong if you want more watching him. Again, can't stress how good he was in the Q last year, shift-to-shift.

I have always had low expectations for Rubstov. Not that I’m a hater, I just don’t like getting over hyped about players I can’t watch (esp if it’s not in English or French) and have my own eye test for. I got to watch quiet a bit of Rubstov as well after he went to the Q and was very impressed as well, seemed very quick and good fast twitch reflexes. Haven’t seen that in this game yet.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah his PPG was 2nd behind Hischier for rookies last year in the Q. I expected more of him this year.

Maybe the Russian posters are right.

:sarcasm:

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
You had to disparage Hayton, didn't you? Great assist, then great goal. o_O

Hey, I said he was having as good a game as I've seen him have this season through 1. That was before he got a point! I just think it may have something to do with his tremendous center. I thought he could be a top 15-20 pick after the Hlinka. He has disappointed me though, and I've watched a lot of SSM. He's got a terrific shot, silky hands, he can compete hard at times, but he just is not putting it together so far this year.

After these games, I'm going to write a blurb on Dobson. I feel like it. Also another d-man, and they're my 3/4 d-men in the draft. Don't really have a ranking yet, but hard to keep them out of my top 6-7, that I know. I really love their games. I've been starting to watch more players the last week+.

Reactions: Stizzle

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Expanding on something I said earlier, MoFro is not flashy with his hands or stickhandling to me, even on his 1 on 1 moves. But what he is is very hard to read with his eyes and body movements. The way he skates and puck handles is with an economy of motion. And his head is ALWAYS up. There's no wasted motion to him, so he always makes players bite with his little "shimmies" and head fakes, which are his patented moves. A little deke goes a long way with him. That make sense? Loves to extend the stick and make players fish too, then go under their stick. He's definitely stronger on the puck this year, but when he gets his core strength there, watch out puck protecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad