PGDT: Russia - Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faaxinho

Dec 2, 2003
Tampere, Finland
I think Canada is going to win this one. I like Team Russia too, but this Canadian team is just so dominant. They were dominant against the Czechs too.
They have one big flaw though : they seem to "give up" if they get early lead. That could turn the game to Russians.
But I still think that Canada wins this one.

Canada - 4
Russia - 1

Vic Rattlehead*

MOGiLNY said:
he always gets knocked around by 19 year old teenagers?
Doesn't matter what your age is. Plus, I hear non stop about Russians saying that "Ovechkin is a man playing in a mans league". Have Ovechkin trying to knock out someone like Phaneuf or Weber.

Vic Rattlehead*

The aftergame comments here are going to be horrible. :teach:

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
19bruins19 said:
Doesn't matter what your age is. Plus, I hear non stop about Russians saying that "Ovechkin is a man playing in a mans league". Have Ovechkin trying to knock out someone like Phaneuf or Weber.

the fact that Ovechkin is a man playing in mens league is only more evidence that he won't be a pushover for Phaneuf.. tomorrow we'll find out if it's the opposite in fact.

hossy316

Oct 25, 2003
Kensington, PEI
Visit site
Berkut said:
Well Ovechkin was 17 when he knocked out Tootoo, now he's 19, he's bigger, faster, stronger. And Malkin is even bigger.

When Ovechkin hit Gonchar in the Russian League this year, Gonchar had a concussion and had to be transported to a hospital. Bring it on Phaneuf!

He knocked out Tootoo?? Well, I'd like to know when cause I certainly don't remember that!!

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Tootoo? Please. Let's not compare Phaneuf to Tootoo. Phaneuf has 5 inches and 30 pounds on Tootoo.

I don't think Phanuef needs to cream anybody (even though he will). Canada's defense has been the best bar none in this tournament. The Americans just backed off the Russians, Canada won't. This will be a great game and Canada will win by at least 3 goals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Berkut

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Hemsky4PM said:
The Russians were disgraceful last night and the Canadian team will have that in the back of their minds...not to mention bringing back the gold.
Why would Canada care? To avenge "their american brothers"? How cute...Like they can't defends themselves..
:lol

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
OK, time for my prediction!
1) The pressure is on Canada (a lot of pressure)
2) Khudobin>>Glass
3) Russia outplays Canada tacticly

The Russians are aware of Canadas strenght and talent and will play a smart game.
Canadian offence will be as good as Russian but Khudobin will be the difference. Canada hasn't faced real competition yet and when they see that it's no joke they will loose their heads (especially if they trail).
The difference will be in tactical approach and in goalkeepers.

More of the same: 3-2 Canada entering the 3rd and at the end 4-3 Russia.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
pei fan said:
Russia has 2 or 3 stars.Canada has a whole team of them.Russia has an outside chance if Khudobbin steals it.

Alexander Ovechkin
Evgeny Malkin
Sergei Shirokov
Roman Voloshenko
Alexander Radulov
Denis Parshin
Enver Lisin

shall I go on ?

espo*

Matt MacInnis said:
I disagree.

The only reason Canada did not score more goals is because Marek Schwarz played outstanding positionally and demonstrated remarkable composure under the fire of extremely patient forwards who did precisely the opposite and did NOT force the issue and did not showboat at all, and waited for the goaltender to play himself out of position as so many do under duress. Schwarz's rebound control was suberb and he limited the amount of second chances that Canada had, which resulted in the score being what it ended.
Very true,that's why it ended 3-1 for sure.The Czechs were never even in this game and the scpere flattered them a great deal,Olesz? Basically a total non-factor all game....Canada was so strong defensively too....i think they could possibly have been on the pk or most of the game and still won,that's how strong our defenseive game is,not just the d-men but the forwards too,their positional play,puck support and backchecking is phenomenal.I've never see a team in this tournament as good defensively as this years squad.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Berkut said:
Well Ovechkin was 17 when he knocked out Tootoo, now he's 19, he's bigger, faster, stronger. And Malkin is even bigger.

When Ovechkin hit Gonchar in the Russian League this year, Gonchar had a concussion and had to be transported to a hospital. Bring it on Phaneuf!

Knocked out Tootoo??? I don't know what game you were watching and btw, Tootoo is like 5'5, so that's something to really brag about! :bow:

As for the Ovechkin hit on Gonchar, it was nothing more than a perfectly placed shoulder to the head of Gonchar who was dangling with the puck and Ovechkin was just skating by and clipped him with his shoulder. It was nothing even close to a bone crunching open ice hit like some Russians were bragging it up to be! It was a head shot and Gonchar should be choked, but it was nothing like Phaneuf on Olesz last year! Ka Boom!!! :madfire:

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Canadian keys to victory.

- Get pucks in deep, applying good pressure on the defence through the forecheck. A) Looking to break them down on the cycle B) Looking to create turnovers.

- Stay out of the box.

- Better execution on the PP then we seen against the Czech.. Going to have to make the most of the golden opportunites that present themself.

- Limit the amount of turnovers in the neutral zone.. If there is no play, dont try and force it, keep it simple and make the safe play.

- No getting trapped deep standing in, leading to odd man rushes. *cough cough, Seabrook* If not 100 % sure a play can be made, forget gambling.

- Limit their time and space with the puck at all times. Take away their plays to the middle of the ice in the offensive zone. If they want to beat you, force them to beat you down low, or along the boards by out battling you one on one.. As a Canadian fan, I'll take my chances when it comes to the one on one battles down low with the size of this defence. I'm not terribly concerned about the Canadian defence being unable to handle Russia's forecheck. However the Russians are quick, and if the Canadian defence attempts too much with the puck, rather then making the simple play, turnovers can be caused

Russia's best chance.

- Get good goaltending, keeping it tight. Hope to capitalize on pp oppotunites, which will not be easy with the way Canada can kill penalties. As well, hope to capitalize with their transition game, hoping to catch a few odd man rushes. Deadly if given time and space.

If both teams come out, and are at the top of their games, I'm going with a win Canada.

Last edited:

espo*

Matt MacInnis said:
I understand entirely, and I think AO's physicality is sometimes under-appreciated. But Gonchar is not, physically, Dion Phaneuf. Phaneuf doesn't typically get hit in the open ice because of the style he plays. Whereas AO will be retrieving pucks from the corners and boards, where taking hits is necessary. I'm not saying that AO won't be able to handle it, in fact, I really don't know, that's why I'm so interested in seeing that battle take place.
Me too,clash of the titans between thoses two.....and Weber will get into it too.That guy has probably been just as much if not more physically dominating as Phaneuf right from the first game.Ovechkin will have to deal with both of them and it's a tough assignment even for a guy as talented as him.

espo*

tommi462 said:
I hope that poster got warnings for that post, that was way worse than any post I got warned for today.
I got warned yesterday and am still puzzled over what.It does make a guy wonder sometimes but what can you do? Sometimes i feel like a person that lived in a totalitarian society must have felt like.Sometimes the warnings seem to be over very little.Now i'm probably going to get warned againn for voicing questions about the moderators........totalitarian right?

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I was extremely impressed with the Russian

power play... plus they just outworked the USA in general, but I will say the Canadians win 6-2, the Canadian team is far more talented than the USA.

espo*

MOGiLNY said:
he always gets knocked around by 19 year old teenagers?
the general consenus aeround these boards seems to be(especially thoses of the Russian variety) is that Ovechkin is so strong and such an unstoppable physical specimen that he knocks around everyone in his way.If this is true as they say his age means very little then.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Russian Fan said:
Alexander Ovechkin
Evgeny Malkin
Sergei Shirokov
Roman Voloshenko
Alexander Radulov
Denis Parshin
Enver Lisin

shall I go on ?
Actually I would like you to go on...but you have already mentioned everyone of note on team Russia.

There is no doubting the amount of talent on the Russian team, but please don't try to compare it player for player with the Canadians, because if you were to be honest, you would have to admit as a team, Canada is deeper and more complete.

It will be no small task, and perhaps it can't be done, BUT if Canada can manage to shut down or atleast limit Ovechkin and Malkin's chances, Russia really has no chance. The Russians on the other hand cannot focus on one or two players on Canada to shut down, because they have all four lines that can hurt you.

The Russians have to hope that Canada gets into penalty trouble early, and that Khudobin has a Schwarz like game. While I am still skeptical of Glass in a tight game, this Canadian team and specifically the defense are rock solid. Everyone taks about how they steam rolled everyone, and then when it really counted they only scored three on the Czechs. The thing to keep in mind, is that they only allowed 11 shots against a team that is quite skilled in their own right. Schwarz was incredible. If he plays just great, Canada scores atleast three more goals, and then you could officially call it a steam roll.

As a fan of the game and what we have seen thus far in the tourney, you have to like this match up. These are the two best teams going for gold. Yes there may have been some upsets, but nothing that really made a big difference. The US was not seriously looked at to repeat and obviously they didn't. Having said all that, you have to like Canada's chances. The Russians are pretty much a one dimensional hockey team, that can only hurt you with their forwards, whereas Canada has incredible forwards, coupled with the strongest D corps in a long time, and a very capable keeper, who while he won't steal you a game, because of the team in front of him...he won't have to!

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
cyclops said:
the general consenus aeround these boards seems to be(especially thoses of the Russian variety) is that Ovechkin is so strong and such an unstoppable physical specimen that he knocks around everyone in his way.If this is true as they say his age means very little then.

if this is true, it also means that Phaneuf has his work cut out for him

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
TORRUS said:
OK, time for my prediction!
1) The pressure is on Canada (a lot of pressure)
2) Khudobin>>Glass
3) Russia outplays Canada tacticly

The Russians are aware of Canadas strenght and talent and will play a smart game.
Canadian offence will be as good as Russian but Khudobin will be the difference. Canada hasn't faced real competition yet and when they see that it's no joke they will loose their heads (especially if they trail).
The difference will be in tactical approach and in goalkeepers.

More of the same: 3-2 Canada entering the 3rd and at the end 4-3 Russia.
The Russians outplay Canada tactically? Where did that come from. I can understand that if that is your opinion, but usually opinion is based on some sort of fact, and what games have you been watching if you think Canada can be topped tactically. Besides the Russian players seem to be a little too busy trying to show up the opposition then to out think them. The only way Russia wins is to score early and often, and I highy doubt they will score that often. Canada will play a patient game, trying to limit Russia's chances and then pounce offensively when they get the chance. They know they can score so sooner or later the flood gates may open.

I was very impressed with how the Russians took care of the US, but the whooping it up, and trying to silence the crowd, and the Hulk Hogan hand to the ear thing is just over the top. There is no place for that, and you can be sure it will give Canada added fuel if they see any of that nonsense tomorrow night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad