PGDT: Russia - Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Well the 2 old foes of hockey meet yet again!!

Canada finally meets a tough team for the first time in this tourney!!

Even though I am pulling for the Russians, I still think Canada will win just
based on its great depth..............I'm thinking a nice close game
and Canada wins 3-2.

Divine Wind

MOGiLNY said:
Dumb like streetcar?

no, i believe the saying goes "strong like bull, smart like tractor" :lol

.....on a side note, 6-5 Canada win i predict.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
tommi462 said:
Not in the Czech game, though.

In fairness, Canada dominated the Czech's in a way that did not compare to how the Russians performed against them. Canada conceded just 11 shots, mostly low grade chances, and had Marek Schwarz not had an oustanding game, the score would have been 7-1, or something much closer to a scoreboard blowout.

It may be safe to say that Canada's group was weaker, but it's also equally safe to say that Canada was just as dominant last night as they were in the 7, 8-0 type games they played in their own pool, perhaps even more so.

Macman

May 15, 2004
wilka91 said:
Now that everybody knows that the group B, at the exception of Canada, totally sucked, and that Canada beat the Czech Republic 3-1, I believe Russia and Canada are evenly matched, but the Russians want the gold more, and will prevail!

The Czech game was close in score only. It was a blowout just like the rest of Canada's games. The Czechs managed only three shots on goal from within the Canadian line. Canada must bury its chances against Russia. They miss too many open nets and hit too many posts. It cost them against the U.S. last year and its a worrisome trait of Canadian hockey.

Canada 6-3.

Habitantpeasoup

Jul 5, 2004
Za Great White North
wilka91 said:
Russia should win this one.

Now that everybody knows that the group B, at the exception of Canada, totally sucked, and that Canada beat the Czech Republic 3-1, I believe Russia and Canada are evenly matched, but the Russians want the gold more, and will prevail!

Canada outshot the Czechs 42-11 and if it wasn't for Schwarz it could of been 7 or 8-1
Russia outshot the Czech's 32-26 in their game

habs_24x

Sep 12, 2002
montreal
Visit site
tommi462 said:
Apparently, all the Russians have to do is taunt the Canadians a bit to win this game...

I see the tauting as part of the Russian strategy. Get the other team so upset, they start doing mental errors, take stupid penalties etc...
the thing with taunting, you need to score or have the lead so i dont see it coming into factor tomorrow night, Canada will keep the lead all night and win 5 - 2

Too much depth not to mention like half the team are captains in their own teams.
the attempted tauting will only lead to Canada laughing...they will not be fooled.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Will this game be on ESPN? I heard that they were going to show the Gold Medal Game regardless, but it didn't sound like that yesterday.

And can someone sticky this thread?

I Hate You All*

ciggyboy said:
Canada outshot the Czechs 42-11 and if it wasn't for Schwarz it could of been 7 or 8-1
Russia outshot the Czech's 32-26 in their game

Yeah! Russia suxx0r!

(except for Ovee :))

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i'm sure this has been asked a thousand times already, but will ESPN be covering the gold medal game??

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
I hate it when people give Schwartz the credit. The only reason Canada didn't score more goals is because they started SHOWING OFF. Circling around, passing from a scoring chance and making the scoring as difficult as possible for themselves. And whenever they got a chance there was no finishing at all, they fired straight at Schwartz who only had to stand or lay there.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
I predict that a supporter of the winning team will gloat here. Then a supporter of the losing team will say how classless that is. Then the gloater will remind the critic of one of his own, earlier, boasts. This Socratic dialogue will involve massive, sweeping generalizations about Canadian and Russian fans and, possibly, Canadians and Russians in general. And so on.

And this exchange will take up 50-60 posts.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
As long as Canada isn't overconfident I think they'll beat Russia, perhaps comfortably. The U.S. defense just couldn't handle guys like Ovechkin and Malkin, which I don't think will be as much of a problem for Canada's much bigger squad. As long as Glass doesn't fold like a cheap suit, and the special teams are in order, Canada should get it's first gold since 1997.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Finally the Russians stars will face an awesome defense and Canada's defense will face some awesome forwards, gonna be good.

Canada 5 - Crosby, Carter(2), Dixon, Dawes

Russia 4 - Ovechkin (2), Malkin (2)

Phanueuf and Weber are going to be deadly, keep your heads up !!!

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
steblick said:
I predict that a supporter of the winning team will gloat here. Then a supporter of the losing team will say how classless that is. Then the gloater will remind the critic of one of his own, earlier, boasts. This Socratic dialogue will involve massive, sweeping generalizations about Canadian and Russian fans and, possibly, Canadians and Russians in general. And so on.

I would put my money on that, but the odds can't be good enough for me to bother.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
steblick said:

:lol: :eek: :handclap:

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
tommi462 said:
I hate it when people give Schwartz the credit. The only reason Canada didn't score more goals is because they started SHOWING OFF. Circling around, passing from a scoring chance and making the scoring as difficult as possible for themselves. And whenever they got a chance there was no finishing at all, they fired straight at Schwartz who only had to stand or lay there.

I disagree.

The only reason Canada did not score more goals is because Marek Schwarz played outstanding positionally and demonstrated remarkable composure under the fire of extremely patient forwards who did precisely the opposite and did NOT force the issue and did not showboat at all, and waited for the goaltender to play himself out of position as so many do under duress. Schwarz's rebound control was suberb and he limited the amount of second chances that Canada had, which resulted in the score being what it ended.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sparepart said:
So is it safe to say that all of the American fans are cheering for Canada in this game after what happened at the end of the USA/Russia game?

Prediction: 6-2 Canada... Go Canada!

Oh yeah... We finally get to see the Crosby/Ovechkin matchup. I cant wait to see what happens :)

I would have been cheering for Canada regardless because they have 3 Flyers prospects.

7-3 Canada.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Anyhow, as for the game itself, I think it's going to be a series of great matchups.

We will see which duo is the better offensive pairing (AO/Malkin vs Sid/Bergeron).

It will be a lot of fun to see how the Canadian defence is able to handle the highly skilled and speedy Russians. One matchup I expect we'll see a lot of is Shawn Belle vs Enver Lisin, depending on who Lisin lines up beside.

The Russians were able to pull a lot of stuff against the US that may end up with them on their backsides tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see how they adjust, or if they just play full steam ahead and hope to draw lots of penalties.

How will the checking line Canadian players do short handed against the might of the Russian powerplay?

And, what i'm most excited to watch is the Russian blueliners try to contain the Canadian forwards. Thus far the team has been dominant based largely on its forecheck and the complete inability of any team to recover loose pucks against them, knock them off the puck, etc. The Russians have some size on the blueline, but I'm not certain if it's much more than the Czech's had. It will be fun.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
neelynugs said:
i'm sure this has been asked a thousand times already, but will ESPN be covering the gold medal game??

No, ESPN was only going to show the game if USA advanced.

Canada: 5 (Bergeron 2, Crosby, Phanuef, Richards)
Russia: 3 (Lisin, Parshin, Vorobiev)

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Matt MacInnis said:
I disagree.

I would post more, but since I seemed to get some sort of a warning and do not wish to get banned I will only say this:

You say Schwartz handled rebounds, I say he bounced the puck. A lot. Canadians were just unlucky to never be there in the rebounds when they happened. Once Schwartz even hit a Canadian player with his glove trying to catch the puck and ended up not even getting the puck. He looked nervous more and more towards the end and yet the Canadians failed to take advantage.

You say Canadians weren't showing off, I can only ask you these:

What do you call it then when you pass from a scoring chance and end up losing the puck? What do you call it when you circle around the goal 2-3 times and don't take a shot even though you have a chance and end up losing the puck? (I call this showing off, maybe because I don't know a better word for it in the English language, but this is what I meant anyway.)

What do you call it when all your shots are aimed at the center of the goal instead of the posts? (I call that poor finishing.)

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Matt MacInnis said:
I must ask you to refrain from posting comments like this.

What should I do? Explain myself again, and again, and again, every time a new poster comes to the thread?

I'm sorry, but I have not lived in America, meaning I haven't received the proper training that would provide me with the necessary endurance to deal with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->