PGDT: Russia - Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
-Canada's injuries on defense might be noticable on Tuesday, seeing how poorly Seabrook played earlier today
-Russians have the edge in goaltending, Canada has the edge on defense, and it's almost a dead heat for offense - special teams will surely determine the outcome. Canada must be more disciplined for this game

Prediction:
4-3 Canada. Phaneuf gets first star for Canada, Khudobin for Russia.

jincargo

Jan 28, 2004
Time for Ovechkin, Malkin and the rest of the Russians to step it up and pull an upset!

Sparepart

Jun 6, 2002
Montreal
So is it safe to say that all of the American fans are cheering for Canada in this game after what happened at the end of the USA/Russia game?

Prediction: 6-2 Canada... Go Canada!

Oh yeah... We finally get to see the Crosby/Ovechkin matchup. I cant wait to see what happens :)

Vic Rattlehead*

2-1 Canada. Very tight game. Stewart gets the game winning goal.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Sparepart said:
So is it safe to say that all of the American fans are cheering for Canada in this game after what happened at the end of the USA/Russia game?

Definitely, though I would have likely cheered for Canada regardless. But Russia's pathetic display of sportsmanship certainly didn't help things. USA turned a deaf ear to Russia's taunts and showboating. Hopefully the likes of Phaneuf and Weber will not. Of course, I'm not sure Russia gets much of a chance to taunt in this one.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I'm not only hoping for Canada to run up the score, but I want them to physically destroy the classless Russian bunch. I want them to fire a puck at the head of the little crack addict looking coach that was taunting the crowd. I want Weber and Phaneuf crush any Russian that even thinks about taking a shot.

Larionov Fan

Dec 30, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Russia 6 - Ovechkin [3], Shirokov [2], Rykov
Canada 4 - Bergeron, Ladd, Stewart, Getzlaf

there is no way this turns into a defensive battle... neither goalie is that exceptional. russia is too powerful offensively.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
This year of Russians seems to have a bit of showmanship in them. First the touring team and now this.

Interesting.

Makarov

Jun 10, 2002
Montreal, QC
Visit site
I dunno, Khobudin makes me really nervous, he seems to have poor rebound control and tends to get caught out of position at times...

He made some phenomenal saves today, but I don't think I am a beleiver YET...

The Russian defense was very sound today, not overly impressive but very functional; but in no way compares to the corp led by Captain Anton Volchenkov when he led his team to victory against Canada...

Evginy Malkin, what a amazing talent he is, the way he kept eliminating Kessel by merely using his stick was phenomenal...

Canada's too strong, regardless, 3-2 in favor of the Cunucks...

The Russians are a proud nation who certainly wear their heart on their sleeve, may get ugly at the end...

Last edited:

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Phaneuf is going to be ALL over Ovechkin. That is actually going to be funny to watch...Ovechkin won't look so cocky after Phaneuf nails him to the ground. :)

Malkin will be who we have to worry about...I was really hoping Coburn/Seabrook would be a little more physical this tournament. I think they can handle him too.

The russian defense can't handle Crosby's line...and no way in hell can they keep Carter under control.

I will predict a 4-2 Canada win.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Well... the time has come... another world junior tourney is about to rap up and we're left with 2 teams who are no stranger of this game...

This will be the 4th time in 7 year these teams have met in the finals with Russia winning the previous 3.... But those Canadian teams were no where near as strong as this one we have together...

Russia is strong but I honestly think they have no chance against Canada... Canada needs to realize that when they have a lead they need to keep going...

The defence for Canada this year is just too strong and they match up well.. Phanuef and Weber will be ready for AO and company...

I think there will be a major feeling out period in the early going maybe followed by a Russian goal.. but after this I really can't see Russia doing anything else... Canada's just too strong and over due..

Prediction....
Canada 4 -- Crosby, Carter, Stewart, Dawes
Russia 2 -- Shirokov, Radulov

and if Russia does pull this one out... and they taunt like they did against the USA you might see a 1987 repeat and the USA or Czechs will get the gold..

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
TML-SM said:
a beauty
long-awaited for CANADA-RUSSIA final
can't go wrong !
either way
COME ON, TEAMS!
Let's see whacha got !

p.s. thank god there is some hockey during lock-out.

My Sentiments exactly.. just glad there's gonna be a hcokey game of any importance...

really though, this might be the first time out of the last 4 meetings between the teams that Canada are favorites...

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Canada SHOULD win, given their play so far and the fact that this is the est Canadian team in a decade. BUTthe pressure will be on Canada tomorrrow, NOT on Russia. Can they handle it? Losing the final this time would cause hair-pulling all over the Great White North. In the past three years they haven't handled that pressure particularly well.

Talent is not my worry. The enormous pressure of being there as favourites AGAIN is. is.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Russia should win this one.

Now that everybody knows that the group B, at the exception of Canada, totally sucked, and that Canada beat the Czech Republic 3-1, I believe Russia and Canada are evenly matched, but the Russians want the gold more, and will prevail!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->