Proposal: Pettersson proposals

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Has EP said recently he doesn't want to stay? I assume if it was in the past it was because Vancouver wasn't a playoff team (not counting that bubble season for obvious reasons). This year, that team is dominating. If they can achieve some playoff success this year, it might change his opinion of staying. Winning goes a long way into changing some players opinions, especially if Vancouver is willing to pay him essentially whatever he wants.

Technically, Pettersson and his agent actually said he wants to stay, but they also stated that he just wants to win, and playing for a winning team is important.

The Canucks are now a winning team who appear to be a cup contender, but because Pettersson is waiting to the offseason to discuss his contract, many terrible thoughts are looming in the minds of Canuck fans haha.

Pettersson is definitely going to re-sign. I would say at minimum it will be 4 years, at maximum 8 years. It doesn't make sense for him to sign a 1 year deal to force his way out of a winning team, in a beautiful city, that he has openly stated he likes...

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Hawks will give you Oliver Moore + our two 1st round picks next year and you'll like it

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
It is strange that he won't even really give the typical clichéd answers that most guys will yo dance around talking about it. That said I don't see how he doesn't re-sign. They just went through the drama of does he want out, he said he just wants to win, and the team went out with the aim of winning and they're kicking ass. If he leaves its all on him at this point, but I don't think he's going anywhere.

Reactions: HabzSauce

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Can you provide evidence to substantiate your assertion, or is it merely unfounded speculation that lacks logical coherence and common sense?

You're suggesting that there's only a "small boost" in a player's perceived value when a bidder retains them through an extended contract compared to a player with limited remaining terms?

This doesn't make any sense at all, when the whole purpose of a team who wishes to trade for EP will be to extend him.

A new extension is at current market rate. Guys that are traded with term often come with lower hits than current market rate because the deal was signed in the past. So value tends to be higher.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
A new extension is at current market rate. Guys that are traded with term often come with lower hits than current market rate because the deal was signed in the past. So value tends to be higher.
Without an extension, there is no guarantee that he will even resign with your team after trading for him.

Would you offer the same assets if he was a pure rental?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Without an extension, there is no guarantee that he will even resign with your team after trading for him.

Would you offer the same assets if he was a pure rental?

The Canucks just traded a load for a guy who could be a rental. Maybe they sign him. Maybe they don’t. But RFAs are a different animal. There is already team control. As long as I knew the guy wasn’t a firm no on signing a long term deal with my team, if it happens before the deal or months later, whatever.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
That would be an automatic match. No questions asked.
Atomic match

I'd be a hard pass on that as the NYI.

No we don't.
Wow?

It is strange that he won't even really give the typical clichéd answers that most guys will yo dance around talking about it. That said I don't see how he doesn't re-sign. They just went through the drama of does he want out, he said he just wants to win, and the team went out with the aim of winning and they're kicking ass. If he leaves its all on him at this point, but I don't think he's going anywhere.
Pettersson for Nurse 50 percent retained

Reactions: bossram

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I wouldn’t swap Tkachuk for Pettersson straight up. Let alone throw in Chychrun
I can understand not wanting to make that swap and I can see management feeling the same way but league wide Pete has more value then either Tkachuk.

If anyone has the blue chip prospects to bring Pete It’s buffalo or Columbus

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
I can understand not wanting to make that swap and I can see management feeling the same way but league wide Pete has more value then either Tkachuk.

Ducks as well

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
"I likely do not value Cozens and Power as much as the typical HF poster" is not an argument.

Unless you explain your reasons, it's simply a confession of ignorance and quite frankly, a bit insulting to an entire fanbase, given you're the one who came up with it.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
"I likely do not value Cozens and Power as much as the typical HF poster" is not an argument.

Unless you explain your reasons, it's simply a confession of ignorance and quite frankly, a bit insulting to an entire fanbase, given you're the one who came up with it.
Par for the course.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Patrik Laine (retaining 700k) + Kent Johnson + CBJ 1st (unprotected) + another asset (TBD by VAN fans)

Wanted to add in Boqvist, but you would need to pick a cap dump to send back.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Patrik Laine (retaining 700k) + Kent Johnson + CBJ 1st (unprotected) + another asset (TBD by VAN fans)

Wanted to add in Boqvist, but you would need to pick a cap dump to send back.
Absolutely ZERO interest in Laine on this team. None.

Also not enough, I feel like it would take one more big piece at least if not more.

If we trade him it likely means he wants to sign with the team he is being traded to. His value would be sky high.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Absolutely ZERO interest in Laine on this team. None.
Don't blame you.
Also not enough, I feel like it would take one more big piece at least if not more.

If we trade him it likely means he wants to sign with the team he is being traded to. His value would be sky high.
Would Vancouver be rebuilding or still trying to win if they move him? Still competing, and signing Lindholm?

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014

I'd say just about every GM in the league would take Matthew Tkachuk over Pettersson

• Haha
Reactions: Groo

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

If Buffalo was trading for EP signed, they would need to send back Thompson/Cozens/Mittlestadt+ Peterka/Quinn in such a deal to make it somewhat cap neutral in the short term With both Peterka/Quinn ending ELC in 2025 and looking at $3MM+. Bridge/ long contract.

salary out and in would be close to equal.

the idea of getting a bunch of & 1st/ELC/ prospects is not happening.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Yahhh elite 1st line wingers totally have more value than elite 1st line C's yah that's totally the way GM's think......
Tkachuk is a warrior who has proven he'll put everything on the line to try to win. He's also a game changer with both his offense and his physical play. Plus he's signed long term to a very team friendly deal. Yes , Pettersson is a C but he doesn't bring the same attributes to the ice as Tkachuk. Plus he's not signed beyond this season, could potentially be a UFA after next season, and when hw does sign it'll likely be for substantially more than the $9.5m Tkachuk makes.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad