Proposal: Pettersson proposals

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I’m not sure Vancouver could recover from trading Pettersson. That’s a big shock to a team, especially one that is having such a great season. Matthew Tkachuk would be a recent comparable I guess.

Vancouver has the pieces to recover, but have to ask how much does it change the dynamic of the team.

Reactions: Benstheman

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Pettersson isn't going anywhere before the of the season......if July 1st comes and goes, and there's still no deal in place, then the clock starts ticking.

But the Canucks want to sign him, and based on the team's success this season and its prospects going forward, why wouldn't he want to re-sign in Vancouver?

But the Canucks are really in a 'no lose' position. If they can't make the numbers work and he wants out, then the Canucks can participate in a 'Pettersson' bidding war. He'll fetch them a boatload of assets.

You rarely win the deal when you move a guy like that, bidding war or no.

Reactions: Play and bossram

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Pettersson isn't going anywhere before the of the season......if July 1st comes and goes, and there's still no deal in place, then the clock starts ticking.

But the Canucks want to sign him, and based on the team's success this season and its prospects going forward, why wouldn't he want to re-sign in Vancouver?

But the Canucks are really in a 'no lose' position. If they can't make the numbers work and he wants out, then the Canucks can participate in a 'Pettersson' bidding war. He'll fetch them a boatload of assets.
Do you think Vancouver matches if a team offersheet him for 7 years X 11,5-12M$ per??

Giving Vancouver 4 x 1sts.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
some of those OP packages seem ridiculous unprecedented overpays
agreed EP is a special player
but the bundles listed, such as from Ottawa, Buffalo, Columbus, NJ - I don't see those teams moving those guys

maybe i am wrong, it only takes 1 buyer

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Has EP said recently he doesn't want to stay? I assume if it was in the past it was because Vancouver wasn't a playoff team (not counting that bubble season for obvious reasons). This year, that team is dominating. If they can achieve some playoff success this year, it might change his opinion of staying. Winning goes a long way into changing some players opinions, especially if Vancouver is willing to pay him essentially whatever he wants.

Reactions: Benstheman

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Has EP said recently he doesn't want to stay? I assume if it was in the past it was because Vancouver wasn't a playoff team (not counting that bubble season for obvious reasons). This year, that team is dominating. If they can achieve some playoff success this year, it might change his opinion of staying. Winning goes a long way into changing some players opinions, especially if Vancouver is willing to pay him essentially whatever he wants.
Absolutely. And Vancouver is a beautiful city.

But there might be other reasons we don't know about.

Reactions: lwvs84

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
So Chicago says no to 200 points incoming and the players are 24 and 25 just entering their primes. You can’t fix stupid.
HK - it's not stupid when there is almost no other talent on the Hawks roster to be competitive in the EP/QH window. The Hawks still don't make the P/O's with EP/QH, and they lose their next 2 firsts. Regardless of the value, the deal makes no sense from a Hawks perspective given their current roster and being in the very early stages of a rebuild.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Why would he leave now that they’re one of the best teams in the league…?

Could be issues in the locker room, could just want to go somewhere else, etc.

Remember both Tkachuk and Gaudreau wanted out of Calgary after they looked poised to be one of the best teams in the league as well.

*Not saying thats what will for sure happen here, just that you never know where a players mindset is at

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Sanheim, Brink, 2023 1st for Petterson.

Flyers need a top C desperately. No top center prospect in the pipeline and now the 1sts are too late for a 1C.

Nov 1, 2011
Would NYI do Barzal + Dobson for Pettersson + Boeser?

Just randomly throwing it out there.

Nov 1, 2011
Canucks say no. They'd use some D but for Petty the price is steep.

I’m a Canucks fan and I’d consider it. That’s why I’m asking Isles fans.

Probably an offseason deal, likely saves around $5m in cap.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
A pre-negotiated extension with the acquiring team doesn’t suddenly give the player the same value he would have had if he were already locked into his new deal with no need to trade him. Depending on the number of teams with which he’s willing to sign it might give a small boost to his value in a bidding war, but ultimately it’s still a rental price and not the enormous value fans in this situation always expect for their star players (not picking on you - that argument is made constantly on this forum despite it being thoroughly disproven by actual trade history.)
Can you provide evidence to substantiate your assertion, or is it merely unfounded speculation that lacks logical coherence and common sense?

You're suggesting that there's only a "small boost" in a player's perceived value when a bidder retains them through an extended contract compared to a player with limited remaining terms?

This doesn't make any sense at all, when the whole purpose of a team who wishes to trade for EP will be to extend him.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Absolutely. And Vancouver is a beautiful city.

But there might be other reasons we don't know about.
It is, it's one of two Canadian cities I've been to so far (also been to Victoria). The only thing I didn't like about it was that it was cold, so maybe a spring/summer visit next time I go up north. I need to find a good time of year to visit when there's hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad