Peterborough Petes 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
I was baffled at the time when they passed on him to go with Wilson. I think we would be in a much better position if they had gone with him.
Couldn’t agree more. Passing on Williamson was certainly a choice. We could be right up there with OTT and NB with him

Last edited:

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
@OMG67 vs @NorthernVoice
Ottawa is catching up to the Petes and just when it looked like NB may start slowing down, they put up 9 vs Kingston! About 20 games left.
1675788444977.png

Reactions: Section5Petes

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
They're now in real danger of not even getting home ice in the first round, which is absolutely ridiculous. This team is such a mess right now. Hopefully they can pick up at least 5 points in the next 3 games. It should be a realistic goal.

Reactions: User13452

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
They're now in real danger of not even getting home ice in the first round, which is absolutely ridiculous. This team is such a mess right now. Hopefully they can pick up at least 5 points in the next 3 games. It should be a realistic goal.
Looked at the standings today and the Petes are 8 points behind Barrie for 3rd in the Eastern Conference and are only 8 points ahead of Sudbury for 8th place with Mississauga in 5th place only 1 point behind, Kingston in 6th place only 4 points behind and Hamilton in 7th place only 5 points behind the Petes...

Reactions: Roadhog

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
What are your thoughts on the coaching? I respect your opinion, some people just rant on but you seem to think things out.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
What are your thoughts on the coaching? I respect your opinion, some people just rant on but you seem to think things out.
Thanks!

I think Wilson is the best coach they've had in the years since Dick Todd retired again (though there were some pretty abysmal seasons in there, so the bar is kind of low) and I feel like he's about the best the Petes can do, unless they can get a young up and comer who might not need to be paid a ton.

Sometimes I think he shuffles the lines a bit too much, but I understand the temptation when you have so much talent. Not sure what he's like on the bench, or the room or in practice. Sometimes I question his use (or not) of timeouts and pulling the goalie, but I don't think more so than any other fan questions coaching decisions.

I kind of put this current mess on Oke, if I had to point a finger. At least on Oke as much as Wilson among the leadership group. I understand that in the OHL now you kind of have to load up if you want to make a playoff run, but I'm not sure he learned from the Merkley debacle a few years ago. Bringing in talented players who don't care about playing a team game won't work very well. I'm not saying all of the guys brought in are like that, but there's a history of it with Othmann, which he's continued here and Beck seems to have that streak as well. Stillman, too. And it was well known there were issues with both Othmann and Stillman (at the very least lots of rumours, which you have to take with a grain of salt) before Oke traded for both.

But, we have no idea how things are in practice or in the room, so it's possible the coaching leads to discontentment. I keep hearing a lot of people blaming Wilson, and I get it, but I personally think Oke is as much to blame for the mess ("mess" being relative, as they're still a solid team with the potential to get hot and win it) happening right now as the coach is.

Reactions: Section5Petes

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Thanks!

I think Wilson is the best coach they've had in the years since Dick Todd retired again (though there were some pretty abysmal seasons in there, so the bar is kind of low) and I feel like he's about the best the Petes can do, unless they can get a young up and comer who might not need to be paid a ton.

Sometimes I think he shuffles the lines a bit too much, but I understand the temptation when you have so much talent. Not sure what he's like on the bench, or the room or in practice. Sometimes I question his use (or not) of timeouts and pulling the goalie, but I don't think more so than any other fan questions coaching decisions.

I kind of put this current mess on Oke, if I had to point a finger. At least on Oke as much as Wilson among the leadership group. I understand that in the OHL now you kind of have to load up if you want to make a playoff run, but I'm not sure he learned from the Merkley debacle a few years ago. Bringing in talented players who don't care about playing a team game won't work very well. I'm not saying all of the guys brought in are like that, but there's a history of it with Othmann, which he's continued here and Beck seems to have that streak as well. Stillman, too. And it was well known there were issues with both Othmann and Stillman (at the very least lots of rumours, which you have to take with a grain of salt) before Oke traded for both.

But, we have no idea how things are in practice or in the room, so it's possible the coaching leads to discontentment. I keep hearing a lot of people blaming Wilson, and I get it, but I personally think Oke is as much to blame for the mess ("mess" being relative, as they're still a solid team with the potential to get hot and win it) happening right now as the coach is.
Oke’s hands are in this mess just as much as Wilson but unless they lose first round Wilson will take the fall and Oke’s job will likely be safe

Looked at the standings today and the Petes are 8 points behind Barrie for 3rd in the Eastern Conference and are only 8 points ahead of Sudbury for 8th place with Mississauga in 5th place only 1 point behind, Kingston in 6th place only 4 points behind and Hamilton in 7th place only 5 points behind the Petes...
Third place is long out of reach now. They need to worry about home ice. I wouldn’t trust this team to win a 7 games series against anyone expect Niagara right now which is sad considering they went all in

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Thanks!

Why do you blame Oke and not Wilson? Oke got 2 really good OAs and 2 team Canada forwards. How many gms had a better deadline then that on paper? THen its up to the coach to make the talent work, He hasnt done that

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Why do you blame Oke and not Wilson? Oke got 2 really good OAs and 2 team Canada forwards. How many gms had a better deadline then that on paper? THen its up to the coach to make the talent work, He hasnt done that
I don't disagree with you. I've just heard lots of talk seeming to put this all on Wilson, and I think the blame needs to be shared. But you're absolutely right that it's the job of the coach to get them working together, and Wilson hasn't done that. I think everyone involved needs to own what has happened, I just don't think it should be completely pinned on the coach. But, as was pointed out above, it'll be easier to get rid of the coach.

I think part of my issue with Wilson taking most of the blame is that there is no viable alternative right now. Let's say they go 0-for-3 this week and he is let go, who takes over? Verner? I don't see how that would change anything. They'd need someone established from the outside to come in (like Gardiner MacDougall did last year with Saint John) and take charge and change a lot of things. It's too late for that this year, and we already know the next couple of seasons will be bad.

I think they have to ride it out the rest of this season and hope for the best. There will be messes to clean up after, but I think it's too late to do anything else right now. Dumping Wilson might light a brief spark, but as this team consistently shows, the spark doesn't last long. A week, maybe two, then it's right back to mediocrity.

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
Thanks!

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
Thanks!

My thoughts. I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I have said this before and I will say it again. 12 plus months ago the Petes traded McT avish and got some good talent in return in players and draft picks, that was what was expected, no argument there all teams do that, they were not a contender last year and McTavish was only going to be in the OHL for the remainder of the season so good thinking. But later that day or the next day they made the trade for Stillman and gave most of the assets away that they needed for the trade deadline this year. Stillman was and is a disappointment. The kid just doesn't have the ability and that's not his fault he is what he is and that can't be changed. If that trade had not been made the Petes would have a ton of assets to pick up Beck and Othmann without giving away quality assets in the last two years first round draft picks. In fairness to Stillman he has been working his buns off since Christmas but he is a third line player on a contending team.

If you look at my past posts I felt that the Petes should have picked up a veteran goalie to share the load with Simpson down the strech and throughout the playoffs and be there if Simpson faltered or was injured, Simpson is struggling now and they don't have that quality veteran who can step in.

Beck who I understand is a good kid has been invisible since coming here, we can only hope that he gets it together and i think and hope that he will.

I think that Wilson is a good coach but who am I to judge. One thing that makes me scratch my head is the anemic power play. As the Kingston announcer said this past Friday night the top six Petes forwards are All Stars but look at the Power Play, I believe it is 17th overall in a 20 team league. They have two strong (on paper) players that they can put out with the man advantage. What I see is when the first unit goes out they know they only have a minute or so and if they don't score they must come off so the next 5 guys to see what they can do. This leads to bad decisions, rushing things and poor results. The coach may have to put up with the pouting on the bench and give the first unit out more time to set things up.

One more thing I don't believe that Oke is making these trade decisions on his own without consulting with Executive members so probably lots of blame to go around.

Let's hope for a ten game winning streak and none of this will matter.

i think that we would all like to see these teenagers get it together and make it happen.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Third place is long out of reach now. They need to worry about home ice. I wouldn’t trust this team to win a 7 games series against anyone expect Niagara right now which is sad considering they went all in
If they don't get out of the first round then Wilson and lets be honest the entire coaching staff of Verner and Walser HAVE to be gone and I think they would be

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
I’ve wanted to like Wilson but the Pete’s have underachieved EVERY year he’s been here. I don’t think this should be a shock thst it’s happening again.

I don’t think Williamson would have openly spoke out about wanting the job here if there wasn’t a chance. Petes missed out.

All we can do is hope the group can pull it together.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
I’ve wanted to like Wilson but the Pete’s have underachieved EVERY year he’s been here. I don’t think this should be a shock thst it’s happening again.
2018-2019: 33-31-2-2 (70 points, 6th)
2019-2020: *62 games* - 37-21-2-2 (78 points, 3rd) - 68 game projection: 41-23-2-2 (86 points)
2021-2022: 23-33-5-1 (64 points, 8th)
2022-2023: *48 games* - 25-20-1-2 (53 points, 4th) - 68 game projection: 35-28-2-3 (75 points)

cleodog

Aug 12, 2022

I don’t think Williamson would have openly spoke out about wanting the job here if there wasn’t a chance. Petes missed out.

All we can do is hope the group can pull it together.
You cannot say we have underachieved every year. We were robbed of run to what could of been an ohl final by Covid. Then an entire season. Came into last year with no assets of a Robertson trade with the youngest team in the league. The team overachieved by playing hard and following the system. This year something is not right we all know that but underachieving till now no.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
You cannot say we have underachieved every year. We were robbed of run to what could of been an ohl final by Covid. Then an entire season. Came into last year with no assets of a Robertson trade with the youngest team in the league. The team overachieved by playing hard and following the system. This year something is not right we all know that but underachieving till now no.
While I agree that we were robbed of a run in the COVID shortened season, it’s hard to argue that the team didn’t underachieve during that season. There were some brutal slumps prior to and after the trade deadline that season. That team was battling for 3rd when it should have been battling for first.

2018-19 season the team added at the deadline and won one playoff game. That team had the core of the 2019-2020 team but again was up and down.

Last years team showed promise at times and had talent on it. It was no contender but it should have been better than 8th imo. Young doesn’t mean terrible.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
So it will be back to 12F and 6D for tonight and Saturday with Gauvreau suspended for 2 games because of his number of fights.......it hardly seems fair that he has had one fight as a Pete and now is out for 2 games.
Saginaw and North Bay should suffer some of this punishment as well........

- maybe James Guo, who was traded for Gaurvreau, should have to sit when the Petes host Saginaw
- and then Brayden Hislop (or Josh Bloom :D) have to sit when the Petes face NB

I know this would never happen but the main reason I mention all of this is because of Sanhil Panwar.
I'm concerned that Guo will go all "PANWAR" on the Petes when the Spirit visit in early March.

Tough break for Gauvreau who will miss Saturday's game in Hamilton, his hometown.

The team psyche has to be pretty fragile at this point.
Hopefully they have been able to reset in practice this week and can band together and play for each other.
Get some positive momentum going starting tonight boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad