Peterborough Petes 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
The Petes are rumoured to be dealing with Missy and they host the Steelheads in their first game back tomorrow night.....that seems like bad timing. I wonder how they maneuver that :huh:

Reactions: Section5Petes

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
No notable scratches in any games that I can see tonight. Will be interesting to see who’s in and out for tomorrows game

Reactions: Bra Wavers

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
According the article in the examiner Oke says the petes have two seconds and two thirds to use which doesn’t give them much ammo at all to get both a forward and defenceman

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
That save by Simpson at the end of the game. Oh my goodness.

I saw a tweet from our good friend SquareUpdates/GensCorners and I couldn't possibly be bothered to engage but it said:

Patrick Leaver is a .901 save % in 74 games in his #OHL career

Ben Gaudreau is a .886 save % in 94 games in his #OHL career

Both are 2003 born from the 2019 #OHL draft (Gaudreau 7th overall, Leaver 158th overall)

At the time Simpson was similar games and an .899 save %

But goalies are about the hot hand and THIS YEAR,

Simpson .917
Leaver .884
Gaudreau .868

I'm not necessarily saying Simpson should be there for Canada, I don't know if there's a goalie in Ontario who has the track record and current level of production to merit it but Simpson should have been top of the list.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Brock Otten trade deadline article
Well, Brock is suggesting a Hamilton deal with the Petes as the most likely scenario

Morrison and White
for
Van Volsen, Panwar + picks

I’d love these two additions but I’d feel much better if they still had enough left to trade Spearing + picks for Jesus/Keane/Roger

This lineup could go deep.....

Othmann(L)(03) – Morrison (R)(OA) – Stillman (R)(03)
Avon (L)(03) – Robertson (R)(03) – Lockhart (R)(03)
Lardis (L)(05) – Dubois (R)(03) – Purdeller (R)(03)
McCue/Page(L)(05) – Melee (L)(04) – Dezoete (L)(04)

Mayer (L)(03) – McCoy (R)(04)
Zanetti (L)(03) – White(R)(OA)
Smith (L)(04) – Jesus/Keane/Roger
(R)(OA)

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
I was hoping for Wright -I know this was pie in the sky unreasonable.

After both Wright and Othman going on about the chemistry between them -I was so excited to see them play together but am totally underwhelmed.

I am not seeing much chemistry between them at the world juniors.

So I am good to move on from Wright-but I would hate to part with Van Volsen or Lardis for anyone else.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Well, Brock is suggesting a Hamilton deal with the Petes as the most likely scenario

Morrison and White
for
Hate the Harrison suggestion in there, he's been a constant minus in Oshawa's lineup, really hasn't impressed me this year and just feels so much like more of the same of what the Petes have.

I would take White over just about anyone else realistically available, I don't think the Petes need another offense first forward, they need a top tier puck moving defenceman and PP QB who can get the puck to them and from day one it's seemed like White is the best available. White and Morrison together, even better.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Other random thoughts from tonight's game:

- Guo played a ton - showcasing him for trade or trying to expand his role because without Zanetti, there really isn't a great puck mover.
- Zanetti is dearly missed, he's the #1 dman on this team without a doubt and Mayer is probably #2, which begs the question, are you going deep in the playoffs with those guys as your top two?
- Simpson was phenomenal, he's been great all year with maybe some minor blips pre-Christmas but by any account he's an elite OHL goalie this year.
- Melee 2nd of the year.. not great that's where a key part of the return for McTavish is at.
- Keep Avon/Lockhart/Robertson together forever. Sure none of the other lines really work yet, this one does.
- If Panwar had any hands at all, he's be so, so good. Alas...

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Hate the Harrison suggestion in there, he's been a constant minus in Oshawa's lineup, really hasn't impressed me this year and just feels so much like more of the same of what the Petes have.

I would take White over just about anyone else realistically available, I don't think the Petes need another offense first forward, they need a top tier puck moving defenceman and PP QB who can get the puck to them and from day one it's seemed like White is the best available. White and Morrison together, even better.
Harrison is actually a plus 6.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

The cost is outrageous though. The Petes should be receiving the picks in Brock’s scenario imo.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022

Morrison and White
for

I’d love these two additions but I’d feel much better if they still had enough left to trade Spearing + picks for Jesus/Keane/Roger

This lineup could go deep.....

Othmann(L)(03) – Morrison (R)(OA) – Stillman (R)(03)
Avon (L)(03) – Robertson (R)(03) – Lockhart (R)(03)
Lardis (L)(05) – Dubois (R)(03) – Purdeller (R)(03)
McCue/Page(L)(05) – Melee (L)(04) – Dezoete (L)(04)

Mayer (L)(03) – McCoy (R)(04)
Zanetti (L)(03) – White(R)(OA)
Smith (L)(04) – Jesus/Keane/Roger
(R)(OA)
That’s a very small top 9 outside of Dubois and Othmann that group will get worn down against big team like North bay… but that’s how they are built no going back now. And there is almost no way they will have enough left to upgrade Spearing just not gonna happen they have two 2nds and 2 thirds that’s barely gonna get them 2 guys without moving JVV

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
I was hoping for Wright -I know this was pie in the sky unreasonable.

After both Wright and Othman going on about the chemistry between them -I was so excited to see them play together but am totally underwhelmed.

I am not seeing much chemistry between them at the world juniors.

So I am good to move on from Wright-but I would hate to part with Van Volsen or Lardis for anyone else.
Id do Van Volsen for DelMastro or Clarke

Reactions: Zebra and dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That’s a very small top 9 outside of Dubois and Othmann that group will get worn down against big team like North bay… but that’s how they are built no going back now. And there is almost no way they will have enough left to upgrade Spearing just not gonna happen they have two 2nds and 2 thirds that’s barely gonna get them 2 guys without moving JVV
If moving VanVolsen is inevitable, and Miss does indeed sell; DelBelBelluz straight up for VanVolsen might be a bit steep, but leaves more than enough picks for White if he is the target.
Panwar and VanVolsen for Morrison seems too much even if both Wright and DelBelBelluz are not made available. But in that scenario, the ‘67s will be hard pressed to get the centre they covet.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
If moving VanVolsen is inevitable, and Miss does indeed sell; DelBelBelluz straight up for VanVolsen might be a bit steep, but leaves more than enough picks for White if he is the target.
Panwar and VanVolsen for Morrison seems too much even if both Wright and DelBelBelluz are not made available. But in that scenario, the ‘67s will be hard pressed to get the centre they covet.
I’d look to move Lardis for a defenceman of similar age not sure who that would be though

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I’d look to move Lardis for a defenceman of similar age not sure who that would be though
Beau Akey for Lardis? Barrie probably says no but that’s the type of deal I’d look to move Lardis for is another young 05 or 04 maybe Gibson from the Soo

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Is the Lardis move something that helps you win now? Does bringing in an '05 defenseman move the needle on this run? I would think you would address your lack of youth on defense in the off season by dealing whatever pieces you have returning from your contender this year.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Is the Lardis move something that helps you win now? Does bringing in an '05 defenseman move the needle on this run? I would think you would address your lack of youth on defense in the off season by dealing whatever pieces you have returning from your contender this year.
If you move him for a 04 and picks or another player then yes I think it does. He can be replaced by a overager. Very doubtful it happens but him playing third line minutes to me you can fill a need on the back end and replace him with someone else

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
It's fairly normal on a contender for your 17 year old first rounder to struggle to break into the top 6. In 2017-2018 17 year old Barrett Hayton centred the 3rd line in the Soo. Maybe you don't think Lardis is ever going to develop into a top 6 player and you want to sell high, but otherwise I think you want to hold on to him. If Peterborough ever traded him and Van Volsen it would be some pretty lean years.

Using the OA spot to shore up the defense seems to make more sense to me, albeit from the outside looking in.

Also, if you are trading him for an '04 defenseman that shores up your defense this year, not sure you are also getting picks back in that deal. More likely that extra picks go out with Lardis to get that done.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
It's fairly normal on a contender for your 17 year old first rounder to struggle to break into the top 6. In 2017-2018 17 year old Barrett Hayton centred the 3rd line in the Soo. Maybe you don't think Lardis is ever going to develop into a top 6 player and you want to sell high, but otherwise I think you want to hold on to him. If Peterborough ever traded him and Van Volsen it would be some pretty lean years.

Using the OA spot to shore up the defense seems to make more sense to me, albeit from the outside looking in.
I agree with what you’re saying I just think right now this team has a lot of the same type of forwards and they lack a puck moving d man. If you could package Lardis for 2 guys or a d man and more picks then you have more assets to get a top forward without moving JVV

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think the Petes now need to step back and wait a bit. Both Barrie and Ottawa have done nothing. Both have access to immense expendable assets. Both are ahead of the Petes in the standings.

Instead of being hell bent on scratching out two more players and trading your 1st rounder from last year or potentially your first rounder from this year, I think it would be prudent to ensure there is a reason to do so.

Keeping up with the Jones’ is great and all but not when the Jones’ have even started to make a move yet. On top of that, North Bay is probably two players ahead of the Petes right now.

Peterborough made the move for Ohtmann and that didn’t really cost much so as of right now there isn’t a lot invested in this season.

I’m not saying the Petes should be sellers but based on reading the market, I’m not thinking it would be prudent to buy until you have a better sense of what you are up against.

If one or both of Ottawa and Barrie blow their brains out on elite talent, will adding a forward and D-Man be worth it?

If LA returns Clarke and they manage to secure Sale, that is two players added to Barrie without an asset moving out. They could easily add two elite pieces with ease on top of that. Maybe even add as many as four if they wanted to blow their brains out with picks etc.

So you all want it so bad that you are willing to risk your future on what could be at best an underdog matchup in round two even adding two players of significant value?

I’d wait a while and see what transpires in Barrie. I wouldn’t be overly worried as much about Ottawa until they give you a reason to be worried but Barrie scares the hell out of me right now.

Reactions: rangersblues
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad