Peterborough Petes 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
They have 3 months, 50+ practices and 30+ games to develop offensive chemistry before the playoffs start. On paper and with one more top 6 forward added the Petes will be fine.

They will be fine. But, will they be fine compared to NB, OTT and BAR? That’s the question.

There is not a question that the Petes will be a good team and in a normal season, they‘d probably only need to stack up against one team. This year? Three teams To measure agaisnt. Two of them haven’t done anything yet and are armed for bear.

JP Plante is tweeting the 67;s are in on two big names not named Shane Wright. One forward and one D-Man and neither seem to be OAs which means those two guys plus an OA. That‘s if they stop there.

Reactions: rangersblues

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Jobs are on the line and when the GM’s jobs on the line he’s not gonna stand pat even though it might be the right thing to do.

I’m not sold on the bottom 6 being that good
This is the bottom six, perhaps minus one of VanVolsen or Dezoete or Purdeller?
Panwar-Meelee-Stillman
VanVolsen/Purdeller-Dubois-Dezoete/Purdeller
It’s outstanding imo.

There should have been more deals made in the off-season. Spearing should not of been brought back. They should have drafted a defenceman in the Euro draft. The best player in the whole Mctavish deal is now in Sudbury the Petes basically traded Stillman for mctavish which is awful Melee has done nothing. The defence wasn’t good enough last year so I’m not sure how they thought it was acceptable to enter the season with the same group.

It’s pretty simple compare lines from the top 2 teams from each of however many years you want to go back and look and see does the Petes depth matchup with what they had and I’m pretty sure the answer would be no even just got back and look at hamilton and Windsor’s teams last year
I guess the ‘67s are pooched then. I just don’t know what else to say

Last edited:
Reactions: Section5Petes

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
This is the bottom six, perhaps minus one of VanVolsen or Dezoete or Purdeller?
Panwar-Meelee-Stillman
VanVolsen/Purdeller-Dubois-Dezoete/Purdeller
It’s outstanding imo.

I guess the ‘67s are pooched then. I just don’t know what else to say

How is Stillman on the 3rd line?

The top 5 right now in no particular order are:

Stillman
Othmann
Lockhart
Avon
Stillman

You could put Lardis in the top 6 and drop Stillman to 3rd line when they add a centre, granted, but they may need to use Lardis to get that key centre to make it an elite first line. Either that or JVV. If they want an elite centre, they will need to compete with other teams for the player so it is unlikely they get an elite centre unless it is an OA for less than a good young player plus their four remaining picks. Melee and Dezote aren’t likely to move that needle much. That means either compromise on the quality of the player coming in or compromise on the players going out.

If the 67’s add two forwards which is reasonably likely, their 3rd and 4th lines would be:

Beck-Tolnai-Gerrior
Barlas-Gardiner-Quick/Kelly
***and that is assuming Foster and Dever are used in deals. If they trade Marrelli and keep Foster, that puts two projected 30 goal scorers on the 4th line.

Top 2 lines (projected)
Pinelli-Rohrer-Boucher
Hayes-Harrison-Stonehouse

I’m not saying Ottawa will do these deals but you have to assume something like this is likely to happen in some manner. The Petes may project to line up well but to suggest even for a second that they have some sort of monster bottom six when Ottawa could roll this out is just silly. Beck and Tolnai are both 70 point players easy. Gardiner is paced at 30 goals as the 4th line centre.

That isn’t even looking at NB who I also think line up nicely against Peterborough.

Again, I don’t understand how you can pump the Petes tires this heavily. Good team for sure but they lack the assets to truly do any damage at the deadline without using key players. Even their two 2nd rounders are lessor valued as 2025 picks.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014

Stillman
Othmann
Lockhart
Avon
Stillman

You could put Lardis in the top 6 and drop Stillman to 3rd line when they add a centre, granted, but they may need to use Lardis to get that key centre to make it an elite first line. Either that or JVV. If they want an elite centre, they will need to compete with other teams for the player so it is unlikely they get an elite centre unless it is an OA for less than a good young player plus their four remaining picks. Melee and Dezote aren’t likely to move that needle much. That means either compromise on the quality of the player coming in or compromise on the players going out.

If the 67’s add two forwards which is reasonably likely, their 3rd and 4th lines would be:

Beck-Tolnai-Gerrior
***and that is assuming Foster and Dever are used in deals. If they trade Marrelli and keep Foster, that puts two projected 30 goal scorers on the 4th line.

Top 2 lines (projected)
Pinelli-Rohrer-Boucher

I’m not saying Ottawa will do these deals but you have to assume something like this is likely to happen in some manner. The Petes may project to line up well but to suggest even for a second that they have some sort of monster bottom six when Ottawa could roll this out is just silly. Beck and Tolnai are both 70 point players easy. Gardiner is paced at 30 goals as the 4th line centre.

That isn’t even looking at NB who I also think line up nicely against Peterborough.

Again, I don’t understand how you can pump the Petes tires this heavily. Good team for sure but they lack the assets to truly do any damage at the deadline without using key players. Even their two 2nd rounders are lessor valued as 2025 picks.
We get it, your teams great and ours is no good. Mind going back to your thread to gloat about the 67s?

Reactions: Section7fan

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
We get it, your teams great and ours is no good. Mind going back to your thread to gloat about the 67s?

We are discussing why the Petes should wait to see what unfolds before mindlessly adding players needlessly. If you want a cheerleader thread that only pumps the Petes tires with no deviation other than discussing how awesome the Petes are then start one. Otherwise, sit back, relax, and let the adults in the room have the real discussions with proper analysis backing up their viewpoints Regarding what the Petes should do and the realistic ways they could do what they want if they choose to do it anyway.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
The Petes do not have an elite first line. Not even close. They’d need to add an Uber elite centre before they could even come close to saying they have an elite first line. Their current first line wouldn’t even have a 90 point player on it. Suggesting otherwise is just silly.

I’m a 67a fan and even I am realistic about what my team is and what it isn’t. Why you pump the Pete’s tires so unrealistically is beyond me.

If the Petes add an elite centre like Wright, I will admit at that point they’d have an elite first line. Then they’d have a good second line that all score around 70 points. The 3rd line is like 40 pointers that play a role. The 4th line is a 5 minute per game line.

If the 67s add 2 forwards and don’t trade a key forward doing it, they’d have three lines all in the same range as the Petes second line (70 pointers) plus a 4th line scoring around 60-70 goals combined.

I’m being realistic based on demonstrated output to date. You are not being realistic at all.
Othmann scored 50 goals and 97 points last year. Robertson scored 40 last year. Lockheart, Avon and Stillman are all very good players. The Pete’s haven’t played to their potential. If these players, plus another quality centre, catch fire I think it’s silly to not see it as two elite lines that can do damage.

I’m assuming you’re afraid of what this team is capable of or you wouldn’t be so obsessed with putting them down in this thread.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Othmann scored 50 goals and 97 points last year. Robertson scored 40 last year. Lockheart, Avon and Stillman are all very good players. The Pete’s haven’t played to their potential. If these players, plus another quality centre, catch fire I think it’s silly to not see it as two elite lines that can do damage.

I’m assuming you’re afraid of what this team is capable of or you wouldn’t be so obsessed with putting them down in this thread.
Yep. Petes are also 2-2 against Ottawa this year and have handed them 2 of their 6 losses in regulation.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
I think Petes fans are aware that the forwards cannot be judged by point production alone. If you watch the Petes, for better or worse, Coach Wilson has the forwards playing a defensively minded game with a lot of dumping and chasing with short shifts. I'm not a huge fan of it and I would like to see them work on systems that promoted sustained offensive pressure, back door passes, etc. We do need a defensman that has top level puck handling skills because our current guys seem to be cursed with losing the puck through bounces and misplays often at the other teams' blue line.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
We are discussing why the Petes should wait to see what unfolds before mindlessly adding players needlessly. If you want a cheerleader thread that only pumps the Petes tires with no deviation other than discussing how awesome the Petes are then start one. Otherwise, sit back, relax, and let the adults in the room have the real discussions with proper analysis backing up their viewpoints Regarding what the Petes should do and the realistic ways they could do what they want if they choose to do it anyway.
Your posts have a horrible odour of Ottawa arrogance. We don’t give a rats a$$ about the picks or players Ottawa has to out bid us. Go discuss it with other Ottawa fans on the Ottawa thread

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
The Petes and Oke will react to what's going on around the league as the deadline approaches.
This includes how strong NB, Ottawa and Barrie look, who else is still available and what the prices are.
Oke won't blow his brains out unless it's viable. But he also is not going to just stand pat because they don't have a chance "on paper".
How much will the prices drop on Morrison, White, Hayes, Hardie, Keane, Jesus, etc. by deadline day?
We will wait and see.....with so many variables, it's just hard to see clearly what will happen. :popcorn:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

The OP suggested the Petes already have an ELITE first line. That is not true. Then adding an elite Centre gives them two lines that were elite. That is not accurate.

If the Petes add an Elite centre,t hey will have one elite line followed by one that likely averages 70 points each. That is what I stated. That is not significantly different than other top teams, especially after the other top teams finish their acquisitions.

As a comparison, I used Ottawa but I could have used North Bay as well.

If the Petes make a deal to acquire a centre, they are a better team. They are even a top team. The question is whether they will be better than Ottawa, North Bay and Barrie after those three teams are done with their trades.

My Original point was it would be wise for the Petes to wait to see what the other top teams do to ensure the moves they make do in fact leap frog them ahead of their competition. My assertion is that is Barrie does get Clarke back as well as sign Sale (Import) as is rumoured, then add three players, it won’t matter what Peterborough does which potentially sets up a situation where Lardis and JVV are wasted for no added benefit.

This is not rocket science. The Petes have not burned a lot of assets to get where they are now. They aren’t committed to the point they cannot adjust their strategy.

And for the record, Ottawa ALSO NEEDS TO READ THE MARKET. They have a young team wth some really good graduating players but if they have to trade Foster, Marrelli, Dever, seven 2nds and nine 3rds jsut to keep pace with Barrie then I would suggest readjusting the plan as well. This is not a biased take. Barrie and their potential for damage is scary no matter what team is making decisions. They are a .600% team right now and could add a dramatic number of assets easily. Two of which would cost them nothing!

Reactions: rangersblues

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022

Stillman
Othmann
Lockhart
Avon
Stillman

Beck-Tolnai-Gerrior

Top 2 lines (projected)
Pinelli-Rohrer-Boucher

You forgot Tucker Robertson (Petes leading scorer)

Newbie Observer

Feb 18, 2019
If Petes do trade it will be players off the roster for older players. Thats all they can do. If they re in, then have to do it. Could bring in three OAs for three younger players. Issue will depend on what teams are selling, and depending on who, there may be too many valuable OAs out there for spots available......meaning market may drop come deadline day.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Another decisive win without Othmann and now two in a row without Zanetti.. Maybe the Petes had some luck in this one with Kitchener losing one of their top defensemen early in the game on a questionable slew foot call.

Also Robertson's goal (his first or second one) was a lucky one , he was lying flat on the ice behind the Kitchener net and swung his stick in desperation and it then bounced off a Ranger skate and in the net. We'll take it. The Petes have shown over and over that they can absorb countless attacks from opposing teams and still win games. Helps to have solid goaltending and guys like Spearing who block shots.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
- Guo played a ton - showcasing him for trade or trying to expand his role because without Zanetti, there really isn't a great puck mover.

- Keep Avon/Lockhart/Robertson together forever. Sure none of the other lines really work yet, this one does.
So this?! :cool:
What a game for that line……11 points between them and they swept the 3 stars!
Bring on Oshawa

Reactions: Section5Petes

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
To add to my summary of last night's game, Guo played very well and is showing signs of being a complete game sort of player. Not overly physical but a smart player along the boards and rarely coughs up the puck. Guo is not flashy but his role on the PP is solid and handles the puck well as seen on Robertson's tip in goal.

Sztuska clearly a solid back-up , and with Guo's improvement with more ice time along with the success of the first line, we can be a bit patient with what we need to add going forward. Most of us want a good puck-moving defenseman and seeing Lleyton Moore last night I wonder why we didn't go after him? The Oshawa factor likely.......

Reactions: Bra Wavers

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I’m not exactly sure what OMG67 meant by elite line, but thought that a trio that can be considered 3rd to 6th best must it.
There are plenty of excellent duos, but for trios choose between the Sting & Battalion top lines imo; then, …arguably Avon-Robertson-Lockhart?
Certainly better than Pinelli-Rohrer-Boucher imo.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
I’m not exactly sure what OMG67 meant by elite line, but thought that a trio that can be considered 3rd to 6th best must it.
There are plenty of excellent duos, but for trios choose between the Sting & Battalion top lines imo; then, …arguably Avon-Robertson-Lockhart?
Yeah thats not close. Avon-Robertson-Lockhart by a mile

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I actually said that Ottawa would have three lines like Peterborough’s second line and a fourth line that would be most productive in the league if they added two forwards. They’d have a third line relatively indistinguishable from their first from a production perspective.

I consider an elite line as having at least one player that scores 100 points, one player with at least 40 goals and a third complimentary player that rides shoot gun with the line.

When you don’t have a player that is on pace for 40 goals and don’t have a player on pace for 100 points, the team does not have an elite first line.

If you want to throw around the word “elite” for lines that score a combined 70 goals then the league would be chalk full of elite lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad