Confirmed with Link: Peter DeBoer named new head coach. Gerard Gallant, & Mike Kelly out.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Any trade we make needs to send cap space the other way.

Not as much. I think Demelo and Georgiev for 2 2nds and a 3rd, could throw in a less sought after prospect, doesn't require any cap space at all. Considering you have to move players out to make that work, we could move Subban and Merrill and have space. Or not, we wouldn't need to.

I wouldn't be against trading Eakin for Galchenyuk, either. Small moves like that, nothing major and we don't need cap retained and we can make changes but bring in players who have a possibility of helping the team long term while not giving up much but our extra.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
If anything this makes them trading futures more likely. This is a "win now" move.

I hope not. I'm hoping this is their big shakeup because they told Gallant they weren't making big trades. I don't want to give up a lot for Vatanen or a player of that caliber.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Not as much. I think Demelo and Georgiev for 2 2nds and a 3rd, could throw in a less sought after prospect, doesn't require any cap space at all. Considering you have to move players out to make that work, we could move Subban and Merrill and have space. Or not, we wouldn't need to.

I wouldn't be against trading Eakin for Galchenyuk, either. Small moves like that, nothing major and we don't need cap retained and we can make changes but bring in players who have a possibility of helping the team long term while not giving up much but our extra.

Even if the dude continues to be snakebitten at least he's not as much of a possession black hole.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Even if the dude continues to be snakebitten at least he's not as much of a possession black hole.

I'd like to see what Galchenyuk could do on the wings of one of our top three lines. If it doesn't work, nothing lost.

Does DeBoer give Glass more of a look at center than Gallant was? That would be an instant improvement in the coaching.

Reactions: VegasKnightlife

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018

This was when the Stone trade happened and the team immediately caught fire. Without the Stone trade the team was fading and in danger of missing the playoffs last season too.

Now this season WITH Stone and mostly the same roster the team is in danger of missing the playoffs again.

But I’m still SHOCKED by this.

Blowing the 3-1 series lead and the 3-0 lead in game 7 obviously hurt him. If the team made at least the conference finals last season (just a hypothetical because we don’t know how the second round would have turned out) then Gallant could say he went deep into the playoffs his first 2 years and say those years were a success. Instead, only the 1st year is thought to be a success.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
I'd like to see what Galchenyuk could do on the wings of one of our top three lines. If it doesn't work, nothing lost.

Does DeBoer give Glass more of a look at center than Gallant was? That would be an instant improvement in the coaching.

I was thinking about the Glass situation too.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

I know this was a last season thing but my biggest theory about this is that relationship between management and coaching has been strained so I fully believe that this rumor is true.

I'd be able to stomach DeBoer's hiring a lot more smoothly if he did. It's no secret how frustrated and angry I've been about the handling of Glass' development.

Reactions: VegasKnightlife

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
This was when the Stone trade happened and the team immediately caught fire. Without the Stone trade the team was fading and in danger of missing the playoffs last season too.

Now this season WITH Stone and mostly the same roster the team is in danger of missing the playoffs again.

But I’m still SHOCKED by this.

Blowing the 3-1 series lead and the 3-0 lead in game 7 obviously hurt him. If the team made at least the conference finals last season (just a hypothetical because we don’t know how the second round would have turned out) then Gallant could say he went deep into the playoffs his first 2 years and say those years were a success. Instead, only the 1st year is thought to be a success.

The Stone trade also imbalanced us and stopped us being able to get a defenseman to help us. And then a lot of our big earners were not likely to be moved so our hands were tied.

I think there is plenty of blame to go around here. But Gallant had his problems.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Shocking. He seemed like the quintessential “players coach” that lets the boys loose.

The team must be quite upset. Possibly the opposite situation as the Babcock firing.

Top players need to be top players to win, and there’s no shortage of bad seasons in Vegas so far. With only 41 points in 109 combined games this season Stastny, Tuch and Eakin have let themselves and their teammates down. That trio makes over $15M this season while 0.4PPG can be found on the waiver wire (hello Chandler Stephenson).

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Shocking. He seemed like the quintessential “players coach” that lets the boys loose.

The team must be quite upset. Possibly the opposite situation as the Babcock firing.

Top players need to be top players to win, and there’s no shortage of bad seasons in Vegas so far. With only 41 points in 109 combined games this season Stastny, Tuch and Eakin have let themselves and their teammates down. That trio makes over $15M this season while 0.4PPG can be found on the waiver wire (hello Chandler Stephenson).

That probably started being part of the problem though.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The Stone trade also imbalanced us and stopped us being able to get a defenseman to help us. And then a lot of our big earners were not likely to be moved so our hands were tied.

I think there is plenty of blame to go around here. But Gallant had his problems.
Well McPhee's solution to defense was supposed to be Erik Karlsson which wouldn't have done all that much to keep pucks from getting to Fleury/Subban with his post injury level of play.

Reactions: hangman005

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
Gonna miss Turk, as he was one of the original Misfits. :(

But something had to be done as we collected more talent and slowly but surely had worsening results. (Yes, I know there are still some holes to fill, but still...)

No doubt VGK is in a win now mode, as Foley is not getting any younger, and he also has to justify the ridiculous ticket prices/increases. :eek:

But speaking selfishly here, I'm an old dude, too (not as old as Foley though!), and I can't wait forever to get that Cup. :DD Even though I've largely resigned myself to the fact that the first season is as close to the VGKs winning the Cup that I'll likely ever see, I still hope!

Turk, I don't think was a great motivator. He expected, and rightfully so, that the players are professionals and should play as such. But that's not reality. Always gonna have the slackers regardless of profession or pay grade.

Patches, in postgame last night, said some players were too comfortable with their place on the team and that there needed to be more competition between the players.

Maybe Turk got too much credit for that first season. He didn't need to motivate the team. There was the Misfit narrative, Las Vegas getting our first major league professional team, the horrible massacre. So many random, unrelated things came together to provide all the motivation the team needed.
As for PDB, my first reaction at hearing his hire was: :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

C'mon, ya gotta see the humor in that, even if it is dark humor. :laugh:

Hoping for that new coach bump, but I wouldn't be shocked if the VGKs come out tomorrow and lay another turd. I'll reserve judgment until we get some games in after the break, and PDB has had some time to do with the VGKs what he thinks is best. Hopefully we won't be keeping the California teams company in the standings by then. :eek:

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
That probably started being part of the problem though.

It could be. Maybe that type of coach works with the misfits group who were self motivated to prove everyone wrong.

Add in a bunch of high paid stars, while losing a handful of misfits, and maybe the room dynamics changed to the point where team went into identity crisis mode.

Are we a band of misfits proving the world wrong? Or are we lead by All-Star players making upwards of $6M?

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Vegas players who have left the team have either played just as well or played better than when they were here for the most part.

Haula, Bellemare, Perron, Leipsic, Tatar, Carpenter, Hunt.

Neal is having as good a season this year as he had with us, Miller has struggled. Others were less of a factor here and teams they've gone since then.

Have to admit I miss a lot of those players.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Gonna miss Turk, as he was one of the original Misfits. :(

But something had to be done as we collected more talent and slowly but surely had worsening results. (Yes, I know there are still some holes to fill, but still...)

No doubt VGK is in a win now mode, as Foley is not getting any younger, and he also has to justify the ridiculous ticket prices/increases. :eek:

But speaking selfishly here, I'm an old dude, too (not as old as Foley though!), and I can't wait forever to get that Cup. :DD Even though I've largely resigned myself to the fact that the first season is as close to the VGKs winning the Cup that I'll likely ever see, I still hope!

Turk, I don't think was a great motivator. He expected, and rightfully so, that the players are professionals and should play as such. But that's not reality. Always gonna have the slackers regardless of profession or pay grade.

Patches, in postgame last night, said some players were too comfortable with their place on the team and that there needed to be more competition between the players.

Maybe Turk got too much credit for that first season. He didn't need to motivate the team. There was the Misfit narrative, Las Vegas getting our first major league professional team, the horrible massacre. So many random, unrelated things came together to provide all the motivation the team needed.
As for PDB, my first reaction at hearing his hire was: :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

C'mon, ya gotta see the humor in that, even if it is dark humor. :laugh:

Hoping for that new coach bump, but I wouldn't be shocked if the VGKs come out tomorrow and lay another turd. I'll reserve judgment until we get some games in after the break, and PDB has had some time to do with the VGKs what he thinks is best. Hopefully we won't be keeping the California teams company in the standings by then. :eek:

Your just imaging out of habit Reaves continuely chirp Deboer on the bench.... now that I have said that, I am too. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad