Confirmed with Link: Peter DeBoer named new head coach. Gerard Gallant, & Mike Kelly out.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
As a Red Wings fan I hope your loss is our gain but, damn, this came out of nowhere.

Had there been any rumblings over the past months? Back in November I was reading rumors of a potential firing but thought it was just crazy clickbait or baseless chatter.

Foley? McPhee? Someone made a bad choice.

Condolences to my fellow desert dwellers.

VegasVic67

Jun 25, 2017
The Meadows
The biggest issue I had with Gallant is that this current team hasn't been playing a full 60 minutes of hockey. How many game threads have we had where we've watched this team consistently take full periods off. Last night we were outshot 13-4 in the first by BUFFALO. It was a real problem throughout the past 2 seasons. That Misfit mentality was dead after year 1, but they tried to carry it over. Most of us watching knew something has been missing since the start of last season.

The truth is no matter what they did after the first year it would pale in comparison. But I agree with your assessment. The hunger is not there.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
As a Red Wings fan I hope your loss is our gain but, damn, this came out of nowhere.

Had there been any rumblings over the past months? Back in November I was reading rumors of a potential firing but thought it was just crazy clickbait or baseless chatter.

Foley? McPhee? Someone made a bad choice.

Condolences to my fellow desert dwellers.

McCrimmon took over as GM.

I think a lot of it has to do with an impatient owner seeing all these coaches get canned, and maybe seeing some not-so-experienced writers criticizing everything the coach does...

Still, pretty gutless of the McGM to fire his coach without making another trade to help him out.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
It's funny you say that. I was just thinking DeBoer is going to get fired within a calendar year. :laugh:

Hopefully they get a hazmat team to wash off the SJ stink of losing from him and the team doesn't get infected with Sharkitis.

He definitely could. Having had some time to think, I will say we could be overemphasizing the gap between Gallant and DeBoer.

DeBoer made the playoffs almost every year, he has two SCF appearances and made the WCF game 7 last season. The Sharks made the playoffs every year with DeBoer as coach.

If we aren't putting management decisions on Gallant (and I don't think we should) then DeBoer shouldn't if they decided to sign Karlsson to that contract, and let go of Pavelski and Donskoi. He was also a bigger victim than Gallant of bad goaltending and the Sharks haven't improved that much with a different coach.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
He definitely could. Having had some time to think, I will say we could be overemphasizing the gap between Gallant and DeBoer.

DeBoer made the playoffs almost every year, he has two SCF appearances and made the WCF game 7 last season. The Sharks made the playoffs every year with DeBoer as coach.

If we aren't putting management decisions on Gallant (and I don't think we should) then DeBoer shouldn't if they decided to sign Karlsson to that contract, and let go of Pavelski and Donskoi. He was also a bigger victim than Gallant of bad goaltending and the Sharks haven't improved that much with a different coach.

on a lighter note, if Foley is Steinbrenner, does that make DeBoer George Costanza?

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
No thanks. This is why I asked if there is a bigger forum etc. I was shocked that only couple pages on vegas forum after coach fired
I think one of the issues with this board now is that it isn't attached to anything like it used to be when Hockey's Future was its own website. Most of the people here were hockey fans before Vegas existed and have switched or added a team. I don't know that most new fans can find this place that easily.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Vegas players who have left the team have either played just as well or played better than when they were here for the most part.

Haula, Bellemare, Perron, Leipsic, Tatar, Carpenter, Hunt.

Neal is having as good a season this year as he had with us, Miller has struggled. Others were less of a factor here and teams they've gone since then.

Gallant is a good coach but he was having difficulty making adjustments, DeBoer is also a good coach and could be a shakeup to help the team.

Although I personally would have thought a disciplinarian with a good track record, Darryl Sutter, could have been a better choice.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Well Deboer has until Feb 8th (next home game) to best win over the fanbase, if we start playing, and can actually hit the net when we shoot... it may be a good thing... maybe. Or maybe I should lower my sights, if we can not completely suck it'd be great.

Reactions: VegasKnightlife

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Courtesy of @LeafalCrusader in the Simpsons thread.

Footage of Vegas' press conference

430395.jpg

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Just spit balling here, but does anyone think the decision was made a while ago. Putting on my tin foil hat, it's what 3 weeks before we play another game a T-Mobile and this is what they do?

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Just spit balling here, but does anyone think the decision was made a while ago. Putting on my tin foil hat, it's what 3 weeks before we play another game a T-Mobile and this is what they do?

I think they knew well before yesterday. When exactly I'm not sure, but the timing and then the lack of McPhee, trying to hush the local media reeks of them planning in well in advance.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
Wouldn't it be funny if my conspiracy theory was right all along and this firing was an appeasement of the Referee Mafia?

Couldn't help but think something similar after having looked at the PP/PK opportunities after the game last night. I thought after the game 7 fiasco we'd be in for another season of ref Vegas but it's been the exact opposite. Not to say Gallant hasn't had plenty of reasons to bitch at refs for terrible calls but at some point you just have to get tired of it.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

It's a good call, but also could be because if these 8 games on the road trip go poorly the playoffs aren't happening and we're losing millions.

You've had a problem with their play for a while, correct? We all have. I don't see why this is is so surprising. There have been specific criticisms of the coaching for the entire season.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
It's a good call, but also could be because if these 8 games on the road trip go poorly the playoffs aren't happening and we're losing millions.

You've had a problem with their play for a while, correct? We all have. I don't see why this is is so surprising. There have been specific criticisms of the coaching for the entire season.
I have, but I'm not sure Deboer was the answer to any of the criticisms.... Unless the plan is last years sharks Highest GF Highest GA

Reactions: IceNeophyte

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I have, but I'm not sure Deboer was the answer to any of the criticisms.... Unless the plan is last years sharks Highest GF Highest GA

Aren't you leaving out Jones and Dell though?

If you put MAF on that Sharks team, they could be looking at the champions there.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
If this stops them trading more than a few picks for trade help then I think I could come around to it being the right time.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Management has neglected one part of the team. Maybe Gallant isn't the answer, but the front office isn't helping much either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad