GDT: Peter Chiarelli vs HFOil | End of Season Presser | 12:00 PM | Streamed

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Health is only a part of "depth" in the NHL. Depth is being able to compensate when your players regress or slump. Like, I dunno, something as basic as having an actual backup goaltender when your starter ****s the bed, for example.
Chia wanted to give Broissoit a chance to solidify himself, especially after a descent run last year (albeit in a small sample size)

but yes, in hindsight it was a mistake

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
He didn't have much of substance to say. He certainly didn't say anything to alleviate my concerns. Typical Chiarelli presser. We should get a better idea of the direction the team's going in over the next two weeks as decisions on management and coaching staff are made.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Chia wanted to give Broissoit a chance to solidify himself, especially after a descent run last year (albeit in a small sample size)

"Small sample size" is the story of the year. Chiarelli put his faith in like 8 guys he had no business putting his faith in. They all predictably regressed and now here we are.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
accept they had very little injuries at the beginning of the season so that doesn't explain their poor start.

Well they were missing the guy I would say was their most important D man last year. But yes, their poor start and poor season was due to them having a lot of players who aren't good at hockey being expected to play bigger roles than they are able.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Whoops we thought Broissoit was ready after just 8 games. Whoops we thought Kassian was worth $2M. Whoops we thought Cagguila was actually a top sixer. Whoops we thought some combination of Russell and Nurse could replace Sekera. Whoops we thought Letestu would score 15+ goals again. Whoops we thought Eberle was done because he had 13 bad games in the playoffs...

Crazy how so many of these bets didn't pay off. I wonder what that tells you?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

He put a bunch of bets on the rookies taking a step forward. Brossoit, Caggiula, Slepyshev, JP and Benning. None of them took a step forward this past season.

Reactions: MisterD

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Well they were missing the guy I would say was their most important D man last year. But yes, their poor start and poor season was due to them having a lot of players who aren't good at hockey being expected to play bigger roles than they are able.
Klefbom?
Cause apparently the narrative is without him injured in 2015-16, the season turns out differently...

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

To me that was the biggest error in the off season. Goaltending from Talbot was terrible early on but we had nobody to lean on. It sounds like they want to create a more competitive goaltending environment and give TMac someone he trusts as a back-up.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Klefbom?
Cause apparently the narrative is without him injured in 2015-16, the season turns out differently...

It probably does along if you also factor in the loss of a certain back to back Art Ross trophy winner.

But of course you're ducking the issue here.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I guess we agree to disagree on Strome. He is a good serviceable 3C. Is he perfect? No. Is he paid $6M like Eberle? No. Give and take. We have 2 other C who command a lot of cash. We will get what we get for a 3C.
You dont need Strome anchoring your team down when the gods have gifted you the greatest player of this generation to go out and win cups and we have him through his prime years. Strome is not good enough we need to improve there.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
You dont need Strome anchoring your team down when the gods have gifted you the greatest player of this generation to go out and win cups and we have him through his prime years. Strome is not good enough we need to improve there.

What a dumb comment. Oiler fans like you make the rest of us look bad.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
There really wasn't much to that conference or whatever you call it.

He did say some things that fans will be puzzled by, like that Lucic's skating wasn't his big issue. I suppose you could say that if he were scoring more, fans would overlook the skating, but I don't think there's any angle to defend Lucic on.

He said that he'd be willing to trade his 1st rounder... Okay. That's nice.

He said again he wants an offensive D, and wasn't married to the idea that it had to be right wing. That is good. However Chia, you've been saying you want that player for the entire time you've been here and given us Auvitu.

Nicholson earlier in the year saying we need a top pairing Dman was just cringe x10. Yeah, no $@*# There's only exactly 31 teams that would like another one too.

Reactions: Aerrol

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
You have unrealistic expectations from a 3C if strome is not good enough.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
I wonder when people will realize that a lot goes on internally with hockey teams and not everything is black and white. Improvements and changes can be made without firing office staff and upgrading players. People on hfboards too often make running an organization like playing NHL18.

I think there are some improvements that need to be made to the roster, but as Chia/TMac have said in their interviews there is a lot more then just that when it comes to figuring out why the team had such a bad year

Reactions: Louis Cypher

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
What a dumb comment. Oiler fans like you make the rest of us look bad.
The epitome of low IQ is when someone instead of simply disagreeing with an opinion, goes of on a tangent starts calling posts and people dumb, I dont believe Strome is our guy anchoring our third line when we are cup contenders. Is there a problem ....keyboard warrior...

Reactions: PGW

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Well I hope so..Eberle is a 6 million dollar player
Strome is a 2.5 million dollar player
And we had the room to keep Eberle and trade him this year at deadline if we weren't in playoff hunt. Is Chiarelli the only guy that didn't think that Eberle would bounce back from that 8-9% shooting percentage? We likely would have received a first rounder for him this year or a better prospect than Strome. It was a un-needed dumb move.
Now it sounds like Chiarelli said we are looking for a Justin Schultz type dman.....astonishing.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Sum of the presser is all transference blame shift.

“Maybe I sucked at my job but not as much as the players I traded for sucked, that let me down and certainly I didn’t suck as much as the coaches who I will be looking at hard. Because they sucked and I hired them but didnt fire them so what a disappointment they were”

Ok everyone I think we should all be fine now. Well except the fans, your divinity as media and Nuge who is going to be traded for Johnny Boychuk 1 for 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad