GDT: Peter Chiarelli vs HFOil | End of Season Presser | 12:00 PM | Streamed

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oilers 16-17 season goals against: 212 (Chiarelli Era)

Also isn't scoring up 10% this year due to the tighter restrictions on slashing and holding?

Anyway what point is cherry picking your stats making? You are posting random stuff ad nauseam again.

And this thread has, as expected devolved into another Fire Chia thread.

The point is this D group sucks. They were worse than the Tambellini era this year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This is relevant to the Press Conference Thread how exactly? Or should you be transitioning your daily rants over to the 400 page Fire Chiarelli section?

What do posts about Tavares, etc. have to do with press conference? You've posted multiple things off topic in many threads.

Why don't you make a Chia Lovers thread and put yourself on record there and keep your talk there. That way you can pretend everything is great and don't have to hear any other opinions. You can talk about all his great moves. Oh wait. That thread would be very short.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
What do posts about Tavares, etc. have to do with press conference? You've posted multiple things off topic in this thread.

I initially made 2 posts. Both about the press conference. 1 asking what did people expect from the media and another asking what did people expect Chiarelli to say, both posed as questions. Along comes the Fire Chia Mob, in full lather because the object of their hatred was on TV for 20 minutes and proceeded to hose me down with the same stuff they say in the 400 page Fire Chia thread. Try as I might its gone off the rails for everyone including me.

However you do your absolute best to stoke the fires here. Its the usual unsolicited non-response posts with this fact or that comment disparaging the team and inferring that Chiarelli should be fired. Its endless.

Reactions: North

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
The reason I'm not so down on Chia this year is this: when I go through the lineup, I can't find a player I hate or that I think is really genuinely bad. In the bad old days 3-7 years ago there were players who just straight up blew, like didn't belong anywhere near an NHL club, had no heart, no skill, no upside, no character, and who would continually hurt the team with dumb penalties or lack of motivation to battle. Think Nikitin, Will Acton, Gazdic... and then some.

When I go down our starting lineup I just don't see those players anymore. Many of the guys might not be as good as they were supposed to be (Benning), and many even had horrible seasons (i.e. Lucic obviously), but they aren't in the same class of bad as Oilers' players used to be. That's an improvement, and I think this is what he had in mind when he called this a "good group".

Coaching, on the other hand... that's a real problem and if Chia leaves the coaching staff intact then that will probably be the blunder that will make me jump on the hate train.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I initially made 2 posts. Both about the press conference. 1 asking what did people expect from the media and another asking what did people expect Chiarelli to say, both posed as questions. Along comes the Fire Chia Mob, in full lather because the object of their hatred was on TV for 20 minutes and proceeded to hose me down with the same stuff they say in the 400 page Fire Chia thread. Try as I might its gone off the rails for everyone including me.

However you do your absolute best to stoke the fires here. Its the usual unsolicited non-response posts with this fact or that comment disparaging the team and inferring that Chiarelli should be fired. Its endless.

You're the one taking this thread off the rails because you don't like some posts. Looking at different assets of where the team finished this year such as goals against is perfectly valid conversation in a year end/presser evaluation thread.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
You're the one taking this thread off the rails because you don't like some posts. Looking at different assets of where the team finished this year such as goals against is perfectly valid conversation in a year end/presser evaluation thread.

OK then...

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The reason I'm not so down on Chia this year is this: when I go through the lineup, I can't find a player I hate or that I think is really genuinely bad. In the bad old days 3-7 years ago there were players who just straight up blew, like didn't belong anywhere near an NHL club, had no heart, no skill, no upside, no character, and who would continually hurt the team with dumb penalties or lack of motivation to battle. Think Nikitin, Will Acton, Gazdic... and then some.

When I go down our starting lineup I just don't see those players anymore. Many of the guys might not be as good as they were supposed to be (Benning), and many even had horrible seasons (i.e. Lucic obviously), but they aren't in the same class of bad as Oilers' players used to be. That's an improvement, and I think this is what he had in mind when he called this a "good group".

Coaching, on the other hand... that's a real problem and if Chia leaves the coaching staff intact then that will probably be the blunder that will make me jump on the hate train.

"Not as bad as they used to be" isn't the bar when you have the best player in the world on your team. The roster being merely mediocre is no longer acceptable.

Chiarelli has committed the team to mediocrity since he's been here and now he has to figure out how to get out of it.

Reactions: oljimmy

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I listened to the interview. The only issue I had was he kept on saying that they wernt thinking fast enough. In my opinion, if you let players think youre never going to have a winning team.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Like you have done to 90% of the threads created in HFOil this year?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
where am I wrong? did they not have several media members and fans predict them as Cup favorites?

and if you don't think pressure impacts players, just ask the Vegas Golden Knights

I think it's more to do with the team not being very good than anything about pressure.

Lord Quas

The unseen
Aug 9, 2006

This is what gets me. I sternly believe that this team would have made the playoffs this year under a different bench boss. Period.

That said, keeping TMac could be a positive ~ I try to look on the bright side... because you never know what the future will bring.

Reactions: oljimmy

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Woodcroft and Johnson not having contracts for next season should make Chiarelli's decision a lot easier.

Reactions: McNuge

Mcwinner

Jul 9, 2015
He's probably negotiating 5 year 5 million dollar extensions with full NTCs (no termination of contract clauses) for them both right now.

I don’t think you need to explain in detail your garbage pit of negativity. We get it. Thank you.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
accept they had very little injuries at the beginning of the season so that doesn't explain their poor start.

Health is only a part of "depth" in the NHL. Depth is being able to compensate when your players regress or slump. Like, I dunno, something as basic as having an actual backup goaltender when your starter shits the bed, for example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad