GDT: Peter Chiarelli vs HFOil | End of Season Presser | 12:00 PM | Streamed

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
A friend of mine Suggested that with all the " He's a good coach, but..." statements that Chia made, that they might be looking for a "better option" to emerge possibly. I wonder if they'll move out both assistant coaches (Johnson and Woodcroft), bring in an Associate coach in Alain Vigneault and Coffey as the other assistant. More experience behind the bench and pressure on McLellan.

I can see the assistants moves, but doubt AV accepts anything less than a head coaching job. The man's been an NHL head coach for a long time now, he probably would opt to retire over taking a downgrade.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Which I guess is why you want to give him time to make more bad bets.
I want to see him have a productive summer like 2016
(adding to the team like Maroon and Lucic, the Versteeg tryout, the late pre-season addition of Russell which was a god send) as opposed to doing nothing and betting the same team can duplicate the success

I think the leash is very short and he's under immense pressure to have a productive summer

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I can see the assistants moves, but doubt AV accepts anything less than a head coaching job. The man's been an NHL head coach for a long time now, he probably would opt to retire over taking a downgrade.
Tough to say. Lots thought Ruff would do the same, but he ended up taking an assistant role. AV at some serious cash for 1-2 years could entice him.

Although from what I heard from Rags fans, him and TM together would probably be a shit show

Reactions: Aerrol

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
to me, there's no justification for bringing back Woodcroft and Johnson...the special teams really sunk this team

if McLellan doesn't want to fire them, than he can go with them
I wouldn't make it an ultimatum to him, because you don't want to sow discontent if you do want to keep him, but agreed. I would let him know those two are out, and if he can't agree then he goes as well.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I want to see him have a productive summer like 2016
(adding to the team like Maroon and Lucic, the Versteeg tryout, the late pre-season addition of Russell which was a god send) as opposed to doing nothing and betting the same team can duplicate the success

I think the leash is very short and he's under immense pressure to have a productive summer

A Gm who loses most trades he's involved in backed into a corner trying to trade his way out of a jam to save his job? What can possibly go wrong with that plan?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think it was banking on so many young players to step up at the same time. Only Kharia really stepped up this season and I expect that's gonna lead to them playing him too far up the lineup next year and regressing.
Seems like Strome not being able to play wing just kinda screwed up everything. At least if he could've filled the #2RW things would've been a bit easier to start.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
A Gm who loses most trades he's involved in backed into a corner trying to trade his way out of a jam to save his job? What can possibly go wrong with that plan?
the thing is, he "wins" a lot of smaller deals...which is all the Oilers need to do
the Maroon deal, the Talbot deal, the Kassian deal...those are wins IMO

he doesn't need to go and trade a big piece

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
the thing is, he "wins" a lot of smaller deals...which is all the Oilers need to do

Kassian was a win last year, mostly in the playoffs. This season he was a ghost.

Talbot... well, they better hope he rebounds.

And Maroon we don't have anymore.

Reactions: frag2

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Still have no issue with that trade. The fact that he didn't use that cap space after all the failed experiments is the bigger issue for me.

It's both.

I know that and you know that, but does Chia? Did you not listen to the presser? They need a top 4 D man and the pick (a top 10 pick) is in play. The writing is on the wall for another Chiarelli special.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I know that and you know that, but does Chia? Did you not listen to the presser? They need a top 4 D man and the pick (a top 10 pick) is in play. The writing is on the wall for another Chiarelli special.
he did say RNH is a core piece of the team so that's good news
if he cooks up another Reinhart special, he shouldn't be allowed back in the province let alone city lol

but the Oilers aren't that desperate for a d-man now IMO

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
I fail to understand why any Oiler fan would want to go into next season with this management group.

This is being called the most disappointing season ever for team. Really could it get any worse with a new guy at the helm.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
if he cooks up another Reinhart special, he shouldn't be allowed back in the province let alone city lol

Klefbom is likely in play, as is that pick. I also don't put much stock in his verbal around RNH either. He might not want to trade him, but the more pressure he feels the more likely that becomes.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think it was banking on so many young players to step up at the same time. Only Kharia really stepped up this season and I expect that's gonna lead to them playing him too far up the lineup next year and regressing.
Nurse as well, but the rest is correct, even it not regressing, not enough progress.

Paddy Padlock

Sep 16, 2017
"Wins at small deals"

Oilers needs:

1. A right shot puck moving D
2. A scoring winger to compliment Draisaitl
3. A right shot depth center with a high FO% who can chip in offensively
4. A goaltender who can take some of the load off Talbot

1. Petry for a 2nd
2. Radulov for cap space
3. Danault for nothing
4. Niemi off waivers, ruined the Habs tank

Bergevin > Chiarelli

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Considering how often he shows himself to the public, I dont think that bothers him the least bit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->