Rumor: Peter Chiarelli is not done?

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
It's just a personal preference of mine to want my 25 minute a night defensemen to play 25 minutes a night. Adam Larsson had more games where he played under 20 minutes last season than he had games where he played 25 minutes a night. He averaged 22m 30s a night last season.

If you're going to quibble about a player being 54 seconds or less shy of 25 minutes on 16 other occasions in 2015-16 alone, you've already lost the argument. You know what the player can do, which is more than you can say for the gas station scratch ticket pack O'Reilly returned.

Meanwhile, Zadorov has played a grand total of six career games above 23 minutes. There's a vast, vast difference between the players. If you don't want to admit that, I can't help you.

Completely unrelated, Tyson Barrie averaged 23m 11s a night last year. I guess that makes him a 26 minute a night defender. Imagine what a 26 minute a night 50 point defender would fetch in a trade.

If Sakic allows the player to reach arbitration? Well, he knows what O'Reilly fetched as he's the one who put his team in that situation to begin with. Start there.

Oops. I forgot that super insider Bob Stauffer claims Roy said Barrie is a #5 defender despite a) Roy actually never saying so and b) no #5 defender gets 23 minutes a night on average. What happened Bob? Got a bit carried away with Denver Post journalists speculating, did we?

I've never heard or seen these comments by Stauffer, and I asked once already because I genuinely hadn't seen them.

If Barrie had 1 year left before UFA, was demanding 7.5 mill per year, and the Avs somehow also had another RH PMR to replace him, that would be a decent offer. Thats not the current situation.

It doesn't have to be to compare them, as one of your fellows Avs fans already did:

So now we're arguing that the Avs didn't get enough for O'Reilly again? Avs got a hell of a haul. Way more for O'Reilly and his ridiculous demands than Hall got with his sweetheart contract.

That opens up the comparison to be made straight-across- without even diving into the events that led up to O'Reilly reaching that point. You do know it was Sakic's idea to sign him to that two-year deal in the first place, right?

What was Larsson doing 2 years ago?

Not being worth a whole hell of a lot in a trade? That's, again, the point.

Thats fair, but Larsson doesn't improve, he'll only be a 18 point Dman and that's no where near worth Hall.

He'd still be a better today player than anything in that package. Again, the point.

Zadorov has a lower floor, but he will be a NHL player, he was good enough to play 60 games as a 19 year old, he is already good enough to play. The Avs got the other pieces in order to hedge their bet, while the Oilers didn't. Thats where they didn't get full value, although the main piece was good.

The Avs didn't hedge anything. Trading your Corvette for five lottery tickets is in no way better than taking what the last sale price was for it, even if you might think it's a little low.

Yup, the Avs made a better value trade for sure, I will continue to insist on that.

The Avs got better by getting a handful of assets that included two forwards who contributed a net 29 points for a player who once scored 28 goals for them. Okay, sure.

Turning 1 year of ROR (because the Avs were not going to pay 7.5 AAV for him) for the package they got is easily better than trading their best/2nd best player for a 2/3 dman.

It's not, because those players have yet to reach the level of a 2/3 d-man. It's unsure if they ever will, even two years after the trade.

Did you read what I wrote? Barrie gets a one or two year contract in arbitration...then what? He's still an RFA afterwards regardless, not a UFA. The point being that there is no immediate pressure here on the Avs, as you seem to be making out.

Right, which is why I said he can sign two years now and then for a year in 2018, or one year now and two years next summer. Both paths get him to free agency. Both paths leave the Avs holding the bag.

They can just as easily trade him next off-season as this one.

For a reduced value, which is precisely what Sakic did with ROR. But if you're okay with how he handled that, I suppose I shouldn't say anything. I don't mind seeing a conference rival get worse.

So you don't understand the differences here at all then. You clearly don't understand that needs change or how negotiations work either if that is the simplistic logic you employ.

It's a difference an Avs fan felt free to discard, why can't I continue down that path?

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
The Avs media have some big homer. But we don't have anyone like Stauffer. Its one thing to be a homer for your own team, but its another to be condescending towards other teams. I can definitely see some of his influences on some of the worst oiler posters here, while the good ones know the guy is a fool.

If you're going to call someone the worst or even a bad poster, you should be able to bear them in an argument first.

What was Larsson doing 2 years ago?

Thats fair, but Larsson doesn't improve, he'll only be a 18 point Dman and that's no where near worth Hall. Zadorov has a lower floor, but he will be a NHL player, he was good enough to play 60 games as a 19 year old, he is already good enough to play. The Avs got the other pieces in order to hedge their bet, while the Oilers didn't. Thats where they didn't get full value, although the main piece was good.

Yup, the Avs made a better value trade for sure, I will continue to insist on that. Turning 1 year of ROR (because the Avs were not going to pay 7.5 AAV for him) for the package they got is easily better than trading their best/2nd best player for a 2/3 dman.

Larsson had 24 in 64 just two seasons ago.

He will easily be a 20-30 point guy in Edmonton at the very minimum, given our skilled forwards and the fact that he would be getting PP time.

20-30 points and playing defense at the level he has would make him a Marc-Edouard Vlasic....I think that's worth losing Taylor Hall when you're the Edmonton Oilers..

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
It doesn't have to be to compare them, as one of your fellows Avs fans already did:

That opens up the comparison to be made straight-across- without even diving into the events that led up to O'Reilly reaching that point. You do know it was Sakic's idea to sign him to that two-year deal in the first place, right?

I disagree with that. ROR's value was definitely negatively affected by the contract situation.

Not being worth a whole hell of a lot in a trade? That's, again, the point.

Well then Chia is gonna miss out on a lot of potential steals then.

He'd still be a better today player than anything in that package. Again, the point.

Trust in your scouting department.

The Avs didn't hedge anything. Trading your Corvette for five lottery tickets is in no way better than taking what the last sale price was for it, even if you might think it's a little low.

Its only lotto tickets if you're have absolutely zero trust in your scouting department. If your scouts were at all competent, its five good assets with a high value collectively, thats their entire job. I guess thats even worse from your perspective because if you have no confidence in projecting young players, why the hell did you just trade your 2nd best player for a 18 point dman? Don't even draft any more, just keep paying market value in UFA.

The Avs got better by getting a handful of assets that included two forwards who contributed a net 29 points for a player who once scored 28 goals for them. Okay, sure.

Yup they didn't contribute last year, doesn't mean they won't in the future.

It's not, because those players have yet to reach the level of a 2/3 d-man. It's unsure if they ever will, even two years after the trade.

Its literally only been 1 year since the trade. So thats just factually wrong.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
:laugh:

That would be an underpay for Subban if anything. Defenseman are valuable. Unless you're Kane or Ovechkin, wingers are not valuable.

Haha, cannot believe I missed this. No team would ever give up Taylor Hall, Puljujarvi and Nurse for a guy who thinks his the Will Smith of hockey. Your being ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad