Rumor: Peter Chiarelli is not done?

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
Lol OK... He's at least a top 5 LW in the league so by sheer math that puts him on an All-star team and you can bet that he'll be NJ's rep for the next 5-10 years. He's as safe an all-star as there is in the league

You know what would make him a all star ?? Making a All Star team.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Lol OK... He's at least a top 5 LW in the league so by sheer math that puts him on an All-star team and you can bet that he'll be NJ's rep for the next 5-10 years. He's as safe an all-star as there is in the league

Hall hasn't been in the allstar game until just last year. He hasn't won any trophies or accomplished anything. He has played well, but he isn't classified as one. Look at Jordan Eberle for the explanation too. He's ranked in the top 25 for most points from 2011-2016 but no one on here would EVER consider him an All-Star (Tidbit - Hall was 25th on that list, just behind Eberle).

Edit- FFS BOTH players out-performed Jagr in that time span but people STILL consider him an All-Star (Not disagreeing with it, but production doesn't make you an 'All-Star')

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
What's the realistic expectation for next season? 11th or 12th in the west? That's still an improvement for sure

I'm thinking more like 8th or 9th. I think with Lucic there and his aggressiveness, Larsson playing with Klefbom and being that calming presense in the back-end, and everyone staying healthy, we can make a surprise push this year. I also feel Puljujarvi will be the leader for Calder this year and maybe FINALLY an Oilers player would win a Calder.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Chiarelli is not done.....

Yeah you mean not done overpaying for players.

He can continue to "overpay" all he likes if it means the team is better for it. That's all we've ever wanted as a fanbase, and there's no question the Oilers now have a clear identity with a better balance after what's transpired.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Beyond the Hall and Reinhart trades, who did he 'overpay' for? If you don't have anything to add to the discussion (ie. Who you think they will target"), don't post anything at all.

You might be waiting a while.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Is Drai an Av yet?

If Colorado waits a year to resolve this thing as they did with O'Reilly, they can expect about the same sort of return- lots 'o futures and maligned young talent. I think Sakic has learned from that ordeal, because as Bob Stauffer noted today, Barrie's value takes a tumble once the arbitrator hands down his or her decision. He's within spitting distance of UFA at that point and no team will give up significant roster assets for a player in that situation.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
lol man, Bob Stauffer is the biggest joke on radio. Jesus, I don't understand how Oiler fans can stand this guy. He's one of those homers that aren't even funny, he actually thinks he knows what he is talking about. I really hope Oiler fans are not being brainwashed by this fool.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
If Colorado waits a year to resolve this thing as they did with O'Reilly, they can expect about the same sort of return- lots 'o futures and maligned young talent. I think Sakic has learned from that ordeal, because as Bob Stauffer noted today, Barrie's value takes a tumble once the arbitrator hands down his or her decision. He's within spitting distance of UFA at that point and no team will give up significant roster assets for a player in that situation.

Bob Stauffer literally don't understand how arbitration works.

ROR also got the Avs back a huge package, way more fair value wise than the Hall trade, so Sakic knows what he is doing.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
lol man, Bob Stauffer is the biggest joke on radio. Jesus, I don't understand how Oiler fans can stand this guy. He's one of those homers that aren't even funny, he actually thinks he knows what he is talking about. I really hope Oiler fans are not being brainwashed by this fool.

Stauffer nailed the Larsson trade when everyone prattled on like you are now. There's little sense in rejecting the idea he knows what the team is doing behind-the-scenes.

(Hint: Stauffer was a Katz hire and the two are close acquaintances)

ROR also got the Avs back a huge package, way more fair value wise than the Hall trade, so Sakic knows what he is doing.

Right, because Zadorov, Compher, Roy and Grigorenko were major factors in Colorado's success last year and will be this season? Make no mistake- Larsson is a far better player than anyone in that deal. No GM accepts that for him today.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

No one is. I don't take his opinion 100%. He is the most informed when it comes to potential trades, but when it comes to value, he's usually way off (either under-pays or over-pays).

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Stauffer nailed the Larsson trade when everyone prattled on like you are now. There's little sense in rejecting the idea he knows what the team is doing behind-the-scenes.

So he is literally the Oiler's propaganda mouthpiece.

He may know what the Oilers are up to, but he has ZERO connection with the notoriously secretive Avs.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

Yes, Chiarelli managed everything perfectly. Rishaug prepared Oiler fans on twitter beforehand that Hall might be moved, Stauffer played a guessing game with Oiler fans the day before on the radio about the defensman they were getting to get everyone excited, then Stauffer was on the radio post-trade to talk it up. And he's good friends with the Oilers owner. He's a shameless Oiler shill who gets fed his information from the Oilers, nothing more.

He might therefore have some factual knowledge on things, but his opinions are hilarious. Wasn't it Friedman who basically started laughing on his show when Stauffer said the Hurricanes would have to add to Faulk to get RNH? His opinion is next to valueless.

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
HF at its finest. Let's talk about players without looking into them :laugh:

Yeah cause mistakes don't happen. I've been watching Hall for the last 6 years, don't need to "look into him" it kind of slipped my mind he made it this year my bad.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Right, because Zadorov, Compher, Roy and Grigorenko were major factors in Colorado's success last year and will be this season? Make no mistake- Larsson is a far better player than anyone in that deal. No GM accepts that for him today.

Roy? You don't even know that the Avs traded that pick? The Sharks drafted Roy :laugh:

But groundbreaking insight there, mate. The team that acquired 5 pieces all 21 and under did not see an immediate impact from said pieces on the NHL roster. You don't say.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
So he is literally the Oiler's propaganda mouthpiece.

Correct- and when he calls a trade or trade discussion, you can bet he was looking over someone's shoulder when it happened.

He may know what the Oilers are up to, but he has ZERO connection with the notoriously secretive Avs.

He doesn't have to in this instance. Barrie's agent is Don Meehan, another Stauffer connection. Between knowing what progress the Oilers have made in trade talks and what offers Newport has fielded from the Avs, Stauffer has both sides covered.

I'm sorry you don't like what he has to say, but that doesn't make him any less in-the-know.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Considering ROR's contract demands (he eventually got 7.5 AAV, 1 mill less than stamkos), yes he was absolutely a great deal. I would not be surprised when Zadorov becomes as good of a player as Larsson in 2 years. I like Larsson and have since the 2011 draft when I pushed for him over Landy, but man he got overrated fast.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV

If the Oilers were gonna get Barrie for cheap it would've already happened.

Sakic and the Avs want to keep him. If the Oilers want him, they're paying a pretty penny. It's pretty obvious. Quit listening to that yellow journalism that you get up there. Oilers media is the only ones running their mouths on any of it... Yet they probably know the least.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
LOL Bob Stauffer literally don't know that after a arbitration ruling, there is no trade restrictions. This guy has definitely been brainwashing some of the Oiler fans on this board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad