TSN: Perron Suspended 6 Games

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Idk if it's just me but from a pretty young age I was taught that, that is some scum-bag stuff on the ice. I can literally only remember a few times in years someone used the stick as a real weapon on ice and it turned out really badly for them.

It's the stuff that gets you a ticket with the boys an we'll wait outside type of activity... IT's just how it always was growing up.
You're not wrong. Happened in a men's league game I was in about 15 years ago. Young guy on my team battling for the puck, and knocked the other guy down. Wasn't dirty. But the other young guy used his stick like a baseball bat and cranked my teammate in the head. It was vicious, and the guy on my team was really lucky he wasn't badly hurt. Before anyone on my team could get to the offender, the refs got in there. But sure enough, there was a skirmish outside in the parking lot afterward. No one got physically hurt, but baseball bat dude got his driver's side winder smashed. He's probably lucky he didn't get more. Whole buncha dudes in their early 20s all fired up lol.

And also, I'm not saying Perron handled it well, or correctly. I think he should definitely be suspended, but A) precedence seems to indicate the suspension is too long, and B) the context in this case goes a long way in me understanding Perron's motivation. The Wings have a rivalry with the Sens, the Sens have taken liberties in previous games, we can't seem to beat them so frustrations are even higher, and now his captain is lying on the ice and looks dead. Like the Sens killed him. It's a much different circumstance than a random act after a minor offense. It was time to push back, and though Perron's push back was bad, it was understandable.

Last edited:

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
I agree on the Perron suspension but not the length. 6 games should be more like 3. Auston Mathews because he is an elite player got 2 games for a vicious cross check to Dahlin. Gudbranson one game. Parros has no idea what he is doing. An absolute joke. Perron, does not have a history of suspensions. It appears if you're an elite player in the NHL like Marchand, Mathews the league looks the other way.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
The funny part is Allan Walsh is 100% correct

MULTIPLE examples out there that are just as egregious

Also every night there are missed boarding calls across the league. What’s going on with that?
It's only going to continue, and maybe get worse. You've got a league that removed all the guys who can punch your eyes shut, and you have an incompetent safety department. There's just really no incentive for bottom-6 guys like Joseph who wouldn't sniff the league before we expanded to 84 teams to not run guys.

So now we've got this absolutely laughable (and a little scary) situation where these potatoes are out there injuring actual hockey players, with no fear of an actual tough guy or of the league, and then the guys who get run, like Gudbranson, just going after the culprit like a wild man (which I do love) and then HE gets the suspension. It's ass backwards.

The players are being forced to police themselves as much as ever, except 1) there aren't many players left capable of policing well, and 2) when they do, they usually get the suspension, not the dirty player who started it. My pessimistic prediction is that you're going to see someone get hurt really bad before this problematic reality becomes obvious to everyone and something changes.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think most teams probably try to already key on players like that. Get them off their game, I'm not saying you go Perron on Stutzle, or board him. Finish your checks, put him on his ass sometimes.

Give him a shove in front of net, if ya get a little high eh whatever, it's just a hockey play right? Just a usual NHL net front scrum.

I think it should go beyond finishing checks. If they are going high on our guys, we need to return the favor. Like you said, doesn't necessarily mean we need to see sticks being swung around like ball bats, but they need to start going high and hard on guys and returning the favor. What's been done to Larkin is dirty, the Wings need to respond in kind and up their physical play.

Reactions: 14ari13 and jaster

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It's only going to continue, and maybe get worse. You've got a league that removed all the guys who can punch your eyes shut, and you have an incompetent safety department. There's just really no incentive for bottom-6 guys like Joseph who wouldn't sniff the league before we expanded to 84 teams to not run guys.

So now we've got this absolutely laughable (and a little scary) situation where these potatoes are out there injuring actual hockey players, with no fear of an actual tough guy or of the league, and then the guys who do get run, like Gudbranson, just going after the culprit like a wild man (which I do love) and then HE gets the suspension. It's ass backwards.

The players are being forced to police themselves as much as ever, except 1) there aren't many players left capable of policing well, and 2) when they do, they usually get the suspension, not the dirty player who started it. My pessimistic prediction is that you're going to see someone get hurt really bad before this problematic reality becomes obvious to everyone and something changes.

add the refs into it, too. Their ability to manage games has fallen off horribly and when things do go sideways they look totally inept.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
In a vacuum the suspension is fine but the league has already set a ridiculous precedent of not coming down on guys that six games looks stupidly harsh. On top of that the league has become wholly ineffective at policing the game that stuff like Perron (and Gudbranson's shellacking of Cousins) is going to slowly become more common place, imo, and is something I don't have a huge problem with if players are going to have to rely more on protecting themselves.

I'm also going to say that going after Joseph in two months is pointless. They need to target Stutzle.
I agree. You target their young stars. You make their life miserable and create a situation where Joseph gets looked at by his own team and they say, "maybe don't run their captain anymore." Go high on Stutzle. Forecheck Sanderson into oblivion.

But.

Still feed Jospeh some lefts and rights lol.

Reactions: Winger98

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
It looks like Perron turns and realizes Larkin is sprawled on the ground looking bad and Zub is the one standing over him. So probably thought he was the guy responsible.
That's what I thought too. Honestly it's a justified response. Your captain looks dead literally on the ice. That would trigger instant rage. Don't blame him so unfortunate it wasn't the culprit...

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Why don't we ask Parros and Bettman this question? Why do elite players seem to not get the same treatment as others. Great examples Marchand, long history of dirty play and hits eg: lots of slew foots. He has lots fines by no really long suspensions. They really haven't thrown the book at him.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
We need more accountability by the league when it comes to NHL referees. It seems this year they more incompetent and frankly there has been quite blind hits from behind on Wing players with no penalties, no fines, no suspensions. Eg: Larkin, Debrincat and Ghost.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
You can complain about the inconsistency of other plays/potential suspensions but Perron absolutely deserved ~5ish games. He attacked a player, who wasn’t involved in the play, who was calling for medical help for an opposing player, after the whistle, with an egregious crosscheck to the face. Total non-hockey play and stuff that shouldn’t be in the game.

Take his number and have someone square up with him later in the game or next game.

Reactions: RRhoads

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You can complain about the inconsistency of other plays/potential suspensions but Perron absolutely deserved ~5ish games. He attacked a player, who wasn’t involved in the play, who was calling for medical help for an opposing player, after the whistle, with an egregious crosscheck to the face. Total non-hockey play and stuff that shouldn’t be in the game.

Take his number and have someone square up with him later in the game or next game.

Yeah, 5 is fine and I honestly don't think the Wings team is missing much with him gone anyhow. At least not on ice. Compher and Larkin are the real losses here.

Reactions: RRhoads

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Perron did what he did and it was a mistake and yet I'm fine with it given the context. I'm also fine with the suspension.

The bigger issue is that traditionally, standing in front of the net has always been treated as an anything goes zone. We talked on and on about the punishment that Homer took in his office. Defensemen can do almost anything to you there and hardly take a penalty let alone a suspension.

So of course Joseph did what he did. It's a hockey play. Because we say it's a hockey play. It's always been a hockey play.

The fact that Larkin got knocked out isn't surprising. It's not a freak accident. It's what obviously happens when that's the type of game you allow.

Are we really okay with the double standard? Shouldn't we be a little more self aware when people are literally calling one thing "assault" and other a "hockey play" even though they're both essentially the same? Honestly Perron's was less dangerous because the guy saw him coming. Larkin got blindsided while battling for the puck while it's in play. That's obviously more dangerous and result reflected that this time.

The worst that was gonna happen to Zub was some dental work.

Edit: lol there's a new hilarious take on the main board that Perron's hip check caused Joseph to go high. I reached rewatched it a few times to be sure, but they're clearly two different motions. Perron lightly bumps Joseph, then Joseph lunges at Larkin's head.

Last edited:

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
I thought it would be a 3-5 game suspension.

If the league is setting the new bar with 6 games for such an action, I don’t at all mind it. Your stick is a weapon. I would have much rather seen Perron take the Gudbranson approach vs cross checking him in the mouth.

Nonetheless, huge loss for the team for however many games he’s out for.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Or cross-cheking on the neck will get Jamie Benn:
- no penalty
- no suspension
- season-ending injury for Larkin.

Prefer the cross-check on the neck at next time.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Perron did what he did and it was a mistake and yet I'm fine with it given the context. I'm also fine with the suspension.

The bigger issue is that traditionally, standing in front of the net has always been treated as an anything goes zone. We talked on and on about the punishment that Homer took in his office. Defensemen can do almost anything to you there and hardly take a penalty let alone a suspension.

So of course Joseph did what he did. It's a hockey play. Because we say it's a hockey play. It's always been a hockey play.

The fact that Larkin got knocked out isn't surprising. It's not a freak accident. It's what obviously happens when that's the type of game you allow.

Are we really okay with the double standard? Shouldn't we be a little more self aware when people are literally calling one thing "assault" and other a "hockey play" even though they're both essentially the same? Honestly Perron's was less dangerous because the guy saw him coming. Larkin got blindsided while battling for the puck while it's in play. That's obviously more dangerous and result reflected that this time.

The worst that was gonna happen to Zub was some dental work.

Edit: lol there's a new hilarious take on the main board that Perron's hip check caused Joseph to go high. I reached rewatched it a few times to be sure, but they're clearly two different motions. Perron lightly bumps Joseph, then Joseph lunges at Larkin's head.
This is such archaic thinking. The punishment that Homer took in the 90s and early 2000s has largely been removed from the game. Fronting the forward took the stage 20 years ago. Sure there’s still a little of it left but it’s nothing like what Homer suffered. Night and day different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad