Perezhogin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
I find it funny to see that most people on this thread are judging by the consequences (and by that I mean the guy having convulsions on the ice) rather than the act itself... because Stafford's slashing on Perezhogin, 3 seconds earlier, was 2 times more dangerous than the slashing he got, as far as I'm concerned. That doesn't excuse Alexander's act... but on the other hand, what should have he done? He's been cross-checked into the boards on the same sequence before nearly getting his head cut off by Stafford's stick, and still no call. I would too be pissed off. Perezhogin's main intention was probably to slash Stafford on the pads. The problem is Stafford was still down. It was too late though.

Still, Perezhogin deserves and will get many suspension games, but so will Stafford (maybe even more from my perspective).

Histrion

Feb 13, 2003
When the Bertuzzi incident occured, I had one thought on my mind: punish the act, not the consequences. I still believe that's the way to go and the way laws should be made to live in a world that really values justice.

NewHabsEra*

JasonMacIsaac said:
Damn.....I really liked Perezhogin and he was doing so well in the playoffs. If Gainey doesn't want him I would hope NJ is first in line to get him.

I thought you already had your own Perezhogin? :dunno:

Was'nt Suglobov supposed to be an as good prospect as Perezhogin? :lol:

Another overrated Habs prospect! ;)

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
People are judging by the consequences as opposed to the act itself because that is how society is. Attempting and failing is not as bad as attempting and succeeding. Whether or not that is correct ideology is debatable, but that is how it is and I doubt the NHL will go against that.

The Pucks

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
HiggsFan said:
I find it funny to see that most people on this thread are judging by the consequences (and by that I mean the guy having convulsions on the ice) rather than the act itself... because Stafford's slashing on Perezhogin, 3 seconds earlier, was 2 times more dangerous than the slashing he got, as far as I'm concerned. That doesn't excuse Alexander's act... but on the other hand, what should have he done? He's been cross-checked into the boards on the same sequence before nearly getting his head cut off by Stafford's stick, and still no call. I would too be pissed off. Perezhogin's main intention was probably to slash Stafford on the pads. The problem is Stafford was still down. It was too late though.

Still, Perezhogin deserves and will get many suspension games, but so will Stafford (maybe even more from my perspective).

Because the NHL set the precident with Bertuzzi, the words came from Campbells mouth.

2nd point, watch the replay again, then again, then again, Stafford swung the stick, much less velosity, with a hesitation. He did the deed, but he missed. Perezhogin had 2 eyes staring at Stafford getting up, he took two hands and a baseball swing at the guys sholder, upper back, and nailed him in the head.

If somebody shoots at you and misses, it may be considered attempted murder. If somebody shoots at you, your hit, and you die, that is murder. See the differance? The concequence is huge.

To say Stafford should get more is absurd.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
The Pucks said:
To say Stafford should get more is absurd.

Agreed. Watching this, I'm not sure Stafford will get too much. A jeopardized career may be considered enough punishment. There is no excuse for what Perezhogin did. Only the biggest homers (of which there appear to be many) can even rationalize his act. He deserves everything that is coming to him from a police investigation to a huge suspension. I don't buy the excuse that he didn't see that he was on his knees. Doesn't play out that way on video.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
My favorite scene from the movie Unforgiven. Taken as a quote from a sports page:

In Clint Eastwood’s film Unforgiven, William Munny is standing over a dying Little Bill Daggett, the sadistic lawman played by Gene Hackman. Munny aims his shotgun at Daggett’s face and the lawman stares up and says, weakly, “I don’t deserve this.â€

Munny, his face bleeding and unshaven, doesn’t flinch.

“Deserve’s got nothin’ to do with it.â€

Munny then shoots Daggett in the face.

:yo: :yo: :yo:

I am not sure what all your references to analogies to violent movies (Unforgiven and An Eye for an Eye) says about you, but you might want to check out what the whole point of Unforgiven was.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Thomas said:
Again, I repeat myself for the umpteenth time, Perezhogin SHOULD be suspended.

But why should a player have to fight to ensure his own protection, the refs are there to police the game, not the players. Perezhogin isnt a fighter, he wont stand up for himself by taking on a bigger more physical player than himself, it would be pointless.

With the amount of goons in the NHL, there is a shortage of talented players, and thats what Perezhogin is. I pay to watch players like him, not to watch a bunch of idiots fighting each other, its hockey, not boxing.

I agree, but think that the game will take this one step at a time, or maybe to put it another way, the game will be forced by outsiders to change one step at a time or lose control over their own rules.

I also agree that refereeing at all levels is a problem. I just don't agree with linking it into the behavior of players who should take responsibility for their own actions. Separate issues.

This latest display is going to accelerate the process. Hockey is walking a fine line here.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
gb701 said:
I am not sure what all your references to analogies to violent movies (Unforgiven and An Eye for an Eye) says about you, but you might want to check out what the whole point of Unforgiven was.

There are actually several "points" to the movies, all which are beyond the scope of this simple discussion.

The references are of course comical and light-hearted, especially the part about Perezhogin being the new Sally Field (hopefully).

But this Unforgiven reference applies. It's really pointless to wonder whether Stafford "deserved" this. It was simply a result of escalation of violence (in which he undeniably played a part) in a ruthless environment that is very poorly regulated.

My point is, let's clean up this environment. Let's clean the game up. That way, everybody can play more safely AND we eliminate urges by players to do themselves justice, seek vengeance, etc.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
gb701 said:
I also agree that refereeing at all levels is a problem. I just don't agree with linking it into the behavior of players who should take responsibility for their own actions. Separate issues.

They are most definitly not separate. They are so closely interlinked, it's not even funny.

But that does not necessarly means players should not be held responsible. It only means that you, I , everybody, whether you like it or not, is up to a certain part a product of his environment.

Randall Graves*

It was much worse than what Marty McSorely did, the Cleveland coach said he should be banned from all North American Hockey games.

I think I agree with him, Stafford could have went blind due to this a-hole.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
First off, I'm a habs fan. I'm saying this so that everybody knows where my loyalty lies.

Now, about the incident, I just can't believe that so many people are trying to find excuses and blaming everything but the player (especially fellow Habs fans).

I'll answer specifically to some (moot) points that some posters use to excuse Perezhogin:

- Stafford's hit before was at least as dangerous: That's a funny one. When Stafford slashes Perezhogin, he's crawling on the ice, which means that the only strenght he has in his stick comes from his arms. Since his arms are extended and the stick is also extended, the strenght applied to the end of the stick can be much. As such, I doubt that if he had hit Perezhogin in the face there would have been any serious consequences, at most a small cut. Still, that doesn't excuse what Stafford did and it should be looked up by the AHL. However, somethings for sure, Perezhogin's slash was at least 10x more violent since he applied quite a weight transfer on his stick.

- If the refs had called a penalty (blablabla): this happened near the start of the game, the game had not degenerated yet. Also, even if Stafford was called for a penalty, Hamilton was in possession of the puck and the ref wouldn't have blown the whistle before Perezhogin's slash.

- The hit was in self-defense: Perezhogin was up while Stafford was still crawling, where was the "danger"? I doubt that it came from Stafford who was lying on the ice in the opposite direction... If there's no danger, there's no self-defense. All wannabe attourneys need not apply.

- Advocaters of "eye for an eye": There are reasons why the law prevents "eye for an eye" behavior (because it's inherantly stupid and doesn't solve anything) in our society. Why should players on ice be any different? In amateur leagues, even 1/10th of that would get you to court.

All that said, the Perezhogin hit was one of the worst hit I've ever seen. Actually, probably the most violent act I've witnessed on ice. For those doubting Perezhogin's bad intentions, look at the 2nd picture on page 7 (a89mogilny89 post). Perezhogin is looking down at Stafford who's still lying on the ice (he looks infuriated) and prepares to give a 2 hand slash (baseball hit) to Stafford. Anyone that's going to hack with such a hit a guy lying down is seriously messed up. That's worse than any sucker punch. Even if he doesn't hit his face or head, swinging a stick like that to any body part is extremely dangerous. I wouldn't be surprised if criminal charges were put against him. There's absolutely nothing that can justify such a behavior (nor Stafford's behavior) and there will be harsh punishments for Perezhogin.

I think Perezhogin will play hockey again in the future but he's going to have to pay for that disgraceful act.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
Smail said:
First off, I'm a habs fan. I'm saying this so that everybody knows where my loyalty lies.

Now, about the incident, I just can't believe that so many people are trying to find excuses and blaming everything but the player (especially fellow Habs fans).

I'll answer specifically to some (moot) points that some posters use to excuse Perezhogin:

- Stafford's hit before was at least as dangerous: That's a funny one. When Stafford slashes Perezhogin, he's crawling on the ice, which means that the only strenght he has in his stick comes from his arms. Since his arms are extended and the stick is also extended, the strenght applied to the end of the stick can be much. As such, I doubt that if he had hit Perezhogin in the face there would have been any serious consequences, at most a small cut. Still, that doesn't excuse what Stafford did and it should be looked up by the AHL. However, somethings for sure, Perezhogin's slash was at least 10x more violent since he applied quite a weight transfer on his stick.

- If the refs had called a penalty (blablabla): this happened near the start of the game, the game had not degenerated yet. Also, even if Stafford was called for a penalty, Hamilton was in possession of the puck and the ref wouldn't have blown the whistle before Perezhogin's slash.

- The hit was in self-defense: Perezhogin was up while Stafford was still crawling, where was the "danger"? I doubt that it came from Stafford who was lying on the ice in the opposite direction... If there's no danger, there's no self-defense. All wannabe attourneys need not apply.

- Advocaters of "eye for an eye": There are reasons why the law prevents "eye for an eye" behavior (because it's inherantly stupid and doesn't solve anything) in our society. Why should players on ice be any different? In amateur leagues, even 1/10th of that would get you to court.

All that said, the Perezhogin hit was one of the worst hit I've ever seen. Actually, probably the most violent act I've witnessed on ice. For those doubting Perezhogin's bad intentions, look at the 2nd picture on page 7 (a89mogilny89 post). Perezhogin is looking down at Stafford who's still lying on the ice (he looks infuriated) and prepares to give a 2 hand slash (baseball hit) to Stafford. Anyone that's going to hack with such a hit a guy lying down is seriously messed up. That's worse than any sucker punch. Even if he doesn't hit his face or head, swinging a stick like that to any body part is extremely dangerous. I wouldn't be surprised if criminal charges were put against him. There's absolutely nothing that can justify such a behavior (nor Stafford's behavior) and there will be harsh punishments for Perezhogin.

I think Perezhogin will play hockey again in the future but he's going to have to pay for that disgraceful act.

God bless you mate. This is what I and a few others have been sayin from the start but it is extra great to hear it from a Habs fan.

I were beggining to doubt that there were any of you out there that not only saw the hypocracy in what they were doing after hammering Bertuzzi and Nucks fans for his hit and their defence of it but also, that saw that two wrongs don't make a right and that it is pure scat and rubbish nonsense to try and find ANY way to defend Perez actions in ANY manner. For ANY reason.

It is rubbish and the worst kind of homerism to do so.

I can only use the example again of when Sean Avery punched a player in the back of the head while he were face down turtling after taking a cheap shot at Sean.

There weren't any Kings fans that were saying anything close to this nonsense. You didn't see any "He deserved it for turtling after cheaping Avery" or anything like that.

You saw fans of a team and player saying that he should be suspended for however long the league felt for that nonsense and that Avery should have to apply for re instatement before he were allowed back in the game.

Any player who can lose it that badly to where they can't keep control over their emotions and desire to seriously injure another player doesn't belong in the game or belongs sitting out for a good long time so they can learn to appreciate that they are being given a privilege by being allowed to play in the NHL.

I am not saying Kings fans are any better by the way, I am saying that even with a player like Avery, fans of his own and other teams all were capable of seeing the rubbish that he had done. I have only one idea why Bertuzzi and Perez where given so many exuses for their cowardly and foolish actions, team colored glasses.

Well said mate.

Randall Graves*

Yeah I wonder what you would say if you knew Garret Stafford, "No Garret, he did nothing wrong, it's your fault you had a seizure,convulsion and concussion not Alex Perezhogins"

Give me a break Habs fans you are only defending Perezhogin because he is apart of the Habs organization. What he did was disgusting.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Smail said:
For those doubting Perezhogin's bad intentions, look at the 2nd picture on page 7 (a89mogilny89 post). Perezhogin is looking down at Stafford who's still lying on the ice (he looks infuriated) and prepares to give a 2 hand slash (baseball hit) to Stafford.

Wow. This is exactly what they were hoping this isolated frame would suggest as they feed it to gullible masses.

They will be happy to know it worked. At least, on you. Those who have seen the footage and can have a modicum of discernment will hopefully realize it played out differently.

PS: Of course he looks infuriated. I'd be more worried if he hit the guy with a smile on his face. As it would suggest he is a psychopath or something equally ****ed up. Was he supposed to look like a harmless teletubbies as he two-handed him?

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
Wow. This is exactly what they were hoping this isolated frame would suggest as they feed it to gullible masses.

They will be happy to know it worked. At least, on you. Those who have seen the footage and can have a modicum of discernment will hopefully realize it played out differently.

PS: Of course he looks infuriated. I'd be more worried if he hit the guy with a smile on his face. As it would suggest he is a psychopath or something equally ****ed up. Was he supposed to look like a harmless teletubbies as he two-handed him?

I've seen the footage quite a few times. However, the footage doesn't really capture the event well. For example, it's hard to notice that Perezhogin is starting to swing while Stafford is still lying down on the ice.

About the look on his face and where Perezhogin is looking, it just shows he wasn't "dazed" and he knew fully what he was going to do. It shows Perezhogin's intention clearly. There's no denying it. Perezhogin could have bumped him, could have punched him in the back. Nahhhh, he used the stick as a weapon in a baseball bat swing.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
Vlad The Impaler said:

Of course as always Vlad anyone who doesn't buy into the conspiracy theory that you are propping up is just one of the ignorant masses. Right mate, right.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
punchy1 said:
Of course as always Vlad anyone who doesn't buy into the conspiracy theory that you are propping up is just one of the ignorant masses. Right mate, right.

It's hardly a conspiracy theory. It's in fact common knowledge. Isolating frames can lead to suggest things that are simply different from reality. This is where art, entertainment and information often cross paths. They want pictures that speak strongly. In this case, they obviously wanted a picture that showed the recklessness and the violence of this incident.

But the frame can be interpreted in many different ways. Is he taking a swing backward or forward? Does this frame indicate how long he's had his eyes and his body in this direction?

The video speaks for itself. It gives a much more accurate picture of what went on. The single frame had a distorted effect on Smail. Quote: "he looks at Stafford as he prepares to swing"

When he reality, he was already in full circling motion and just about to hit him at full speed. It was one of those dangerous blind pivot swings.

Propping up? I find that choice of word funny, coming from a guy who has been caught lying and making up stuff a few weeks ago.

RainField

Mar 4, 2004
onice said:
Ahhhhhhh!!!!!! you are punishing one because he connected and not punishing the other because he missed. So don't tell me you're disgusted by players who high stick to the head. You're only disgusted by the ones who have the hand-eye coordination to connect. A high stick to the head is a high stick. They both deserve the same amount of time. If you want to rid of this garbage from hockey, they both deserve equal punishment. If you start to rationalize one high stick and condemn another, you'll never get rid ofthis brutality.

Of course there is a difference.

Is there a difference btwn murder and attempt to kill? Same amount of jail time? How about drunk driving and drunk driving and have someone killed?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Vlad The Impaler said:
I completely understand where Bertuzzi came from when he went after that little punk Moore and this is the same thing here.

Both actions have unfortunate consequences but this is a direct result of the blindsiders some people are wearing as to the REAL problems hockey is facing, which are definitly not those type of incidents.

The main difference with the Bertuzzi hit is that there is less premeditation but the use of a stick makes upo for it. That's a weapon when used in this fashion and can have devastating consequences.

The problem in hockey is that most fans and hockey players are totally lacking perspective, as shown abundantly over and over again including on this thread. People basically accept that all sorts of crap can happen, until some guy blows a fuse and raises the odds significantly as a result.

Where are you people from, exactly? Where I come from, you don't take crap and turn the other cheek. Everybody and their mother knows that crap like that little punk Stafford tried to pull, swinging sticks carelessly, happens all the time. And if Perezhogin hadn't retaliated we wouldn't hear a thing about this.

He retaliated and Christ, he was right to do so. I would have done the exact same thing. He didn't swing at Stafford's face, anyone with a brain can clearly see that on the replays. But yeah, he wanted to hurt him: WHICH IS WHAT ANYONE WHO IS TIRED OF TAKING CRAP THAT GOES UNPENALIZED IN THIS GAME is doing more and more.

You want to punish Perzhogin for his actions? I think that's fine. It's reprehensible. You think that sort of stuff will go away with a heavy suspension? It won't.

The way to clean the game of hockey is to have those prime dirty, worthless offenders like Stafford, Moore, Marchment etc. pay for their borderline legal but absolutely dirty plays. Because as long as players will be allowed to abuse their opponents and mess with their lives (Moore could have easily maimed Naslund for life and Stafford's attempt was actually WORSE than Perezhogin) I garantee you you will see more and more bonehead plays like the ones by Bertuzzi and Perezhogin.

This league needs to stop obsessing with retaliation and start doing the right things. This isn't isolated to plays leading to injuries. The whole refereeing system is based on retaliation. You punch a guy on the face in front of the referee, no call. The guy punches back: referee sends both guys to the box, or worse, sends only the second guy. What kind of pathetic thinking is that?

Many of the worse incidents in these leagues take place because players are fed up with apathic and downright blind officiating. If you do not have a feeling that the league is backing you up, that the referees protect the players, you've got to stand up for yourself and for your teammates.

Tough luck for Stafford. Next time he takes a blatant, ugly swing at someone's head, he should make sure he doesn't miss.

He had it coming. And if his swing had connected, there would be a major uproar right now and people whining for him to be suspended for life. He is a punk. The league protects them. Good for Perez. He stood for himself. Nobody else will protect you in today's hockey. Shouldn't have hit the face but that's an accident.

Perezhogin is the new Sally Field! :amazed:
I agree. Except I'm not that sure Perez didn't really try to hit him in the face.
But I still agree that what needs to be thought of is the whole action.
Perez should be punished, and heavily. Because under NO circumstances should you lose your cool.
HOWEVER, the league should also lookin into Staffor's actions, which were not even "barely" legal, but which were just as bad, without the consequences.
Of course, the league won't do anything about Stafford especially since he was badly injured.

Last edited:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Vlad The Impaler said:
My point is, let's clean up this environment. Let's clean the game up. That way, everybody can play more safely AND we eliminate urges by players to do themselves justice, seek vengeance, etc.

Since "homerism" may be read into my "what if" self defence post I thought this (the above) bears repeating even it it came from Vlad. I (a habs fan) could care less about Perezhogin. The fact that he's a hab prospect is a coincidence. The guy doing the next "worst act in the history of the game" next game/week/month/(but certainly not year) and the guy next game/week/month after that may belong to some other organization. Perezhogin should be stopped, but that will solve nothing or very little.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Smail said:

Another Habs fan who agrees checking in. Having said that (and after downloading the .wmv), they should look at Stafford's slash to the head that precipitated the slash (not as a defense of Perez, but as discipline to Stafford... the fact that he eventually got seriously hurt does not erase his actions) as well as the third man in suspension for the retribution dished to Perez. Stafford's would probably only be a game or two, and suffice to say he'll probably miss them due to injury anyway. I'm all for giving Perez hell as long as everyone owns up to their actions as well. This was definitely worse than the McSorley incident in both intent, danger/risk, and result. I didn't get the scoreline or box score, so I don't know if anything was done about the third man in situation. Does the instigator rule come into play here like the NHL? I dislike the instigator rule as it makes it risky to stick up for an injured teammate like Stafford, especially if you're wearing a visor.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
s7ark said:
Another Habs fan who agrees checking in. Having said that (and after downloading the .wmv), they should look at Stafford's slash to the head that precipitated the slash (not as a defense of Perez, but as discipline to Stafford... the fact that he eventually got seriously hurt does not erase his actions) as well as the third man in suspension for the retribution dished to Perez. Stafford's would probably only be a game or two, and suffice to say he'll probably miss them due to injury anyway. I'm all for giving Perez hell as long as everyone owns up to their actions as well. This was definitely worse than the McSorley incident in both intent, danger/risk, and result. I didn't get the scoreline or box score, so I don't know if anything was done about the third man in situation. Does the instigator rule come into play here like the NHL? I dislike the instigator rule as it makes it risky to stick up for an injured teammate like Stafford, especially if you're wearing a visor.

I think (?) they (two of Staffords teammates) knocked Perezhogin unconscious and one of them got a 2 minute roughing penalty.

Disco Volante

Mar 11, 2002
2nd to FloydianSlip
Visit site
MrKnowNothing said:
What Stafford did was horrible as well, but it doesn't mean "he had it coming." I don't buy into that crap at all.

That doesn't have any effect on what Perezhogin did. You can't do that, and no one deserves to have their face bashed in with a hockey stick. By the logic you are using, you and I should get together and go find Perezhogin and bash his face in with a stick, because he has it coming, right?

Sorry, I don't buy into that tripe. I don't believe in an eye for an eye.

For the record, I agree with what you are saying about cleaning the game up in general. But to say someone has something like this coming to them is appauling to me. There is completely no excuse for what this guy did or what anyone else did. Plain and simple, cut and dry, black and white.

There is not much sense made in this thread (some good humor by punchy1 tho), but I'm with MrKnowNothing. I can make up excuses for 60% of crime in society (and 95% of war crimes) with this "had it coming" ********.

Stafford would have been suspended for his swing, at least for the remaining games in this series (so I really don't see where that "you have to do yourself justice in this retaliation-refereeing hockey" is coming from in that case : the guy would have been suspended, it's obvious to me). That suspension-to-be should have been enough for Perez if he'd had the slightest judgment (and being in the playoffs, not swinging back would have been a pretty good thing to do for his team). He's been impulsive, he react "in the heat" of the moment. Well, that doesn't in any way make what he did less atrocious nor him less accountable.

I'll admit I'm divided on the suspension. I'm all for the league to throw the book at him and get down real heavily on him, on the other side, I'd hope to see Perez in a Habs jersey in the not-so-distant future. 40 games should still be some kind of minimum IMO.

Vlad The Impaler said:
Stafford's attempt was actually WORSE than Perezhogin

:help:

TVanek26*

I just saw it on ESPNews and it was definitely worse then Bertuzzi's but not that much.But it was sick though,especially with the guy twitching and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce