Penticton YoungStars Tourney (VAN/EDM/CGY/WPG) - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I get so pumped up for this every year, and as the games go on I realize its the same every year. Pretty much ECHL calibur hockey, so sloppy. 80% of each roster dont get a sniff of the NHL.

Am I high on that % ? In the last 5 years, how many players play in the NHL, compared to many attend?

It's hockey. At a borderline potential impact level . After a long summer is it such a wonder that we hockey junkies need our fix?

Just go with it. There are worse habits, lol.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
No I think you are right. Drai has stepped his first step up, and it's pretty effective at this level, but the NHL is a big leap. AHL time to continue to grow is the better option.

He still floats however. He tools around like a guy on a Sunday stroll without a care in the world.

If he picked up his intensity level every shift and hustled, he could end up one of the best power centers in the NHL.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I really do enjoy this Tourny.

1) It signals that hockey is back
2) get to see your young guys in your teams jersey for the first time.
3) gets the competitive/rivalry juices going
4) at the end of the day, win or lose, it means absolutely nothing, it's basically for ***** and giggles, exhibition hockey at it's finest.

Love it.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
I really do enjoy this Tourny.

1) It signals that hockey is back
2) get to see your young guys in your teams jersey for the first time.
3) gets the competitive/rivalry juices going
4) at the end of the day, win or lose, it means absolutely nothing, it's basically for ***** and giggles, exhibition hockey at it's finest.

Love it.

As a fan who does not have the time to watch enough prospects outside of the top ones, I really enjoy watching as many of these games as I can.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He still floats however. He tools around like a guy on a Sunday stroll without a care in the world.

If he picked up his intensity level every shift and hustled, he could end up one of the best power centers in the NHL.

He's used to being the best player on the ice and having all the time in the world to snap passes around like a surgeon. A lot of that time evaporates at the NHL level. That said he has every tool to be successful, and there's no longer a tool behind the bench in Edmonton.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Draisaitl is so stealth though. His slow paced game makes him hard to notice then all of a sudden a perfect pass comes flying out of no where and the Oilers have a scoring chance.

Aceonfire*

Just read that Morrison grew up as an Oil fan. His parents are long time season ticket holders.

Pretty funny how that works out.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Draisaitl is so stealth though. His slow paced game makes him hard to notice then all of a sudden a perfect pass comes flying out of no where and the Oilers have a scoring chance.
He seems efficient. He looks like he is floating but he is always reading the play and more often then not he ends up where the puck is. He never really is caught chasing the puck he just knows where its going.

That said for a guy with slow excdlleration he is deadly on the breakaway.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

I think his style is a nice change of pace compared to the rest of the offense in edmonton.

You need guys who work at a couple different gears. I think Drai can keep up with Halls as well.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I get so pumped up for this every year, and as the games go on I realize its the same every year. Pretty much ECHL calibur hockey, so sloppy. 80% of each roster dont get a sniff of the NHL.

Am I high on that % ? In the last 5 years, how many players play in the NHL, compared to many attend?
On our board, a poster looked up the 2011 rosters:
Could've missed some but I was mostly just scanning for names I knew.

Jets

Adam Lowry - 80 NHL games
Mark Scheifele - 156 NHL games
Ben Chiarot - 41 NHL games

Canucks

Frank Corrado - 25 NHL games
Kevin Connauton - 98 NHL games (none with Vancouver)
Jordan Schroeder - 81 NHL games (56 with Vancouver)

Flames

TJ Brodie - 266 NHL games
Joni Ortio - 15 NHL games
Sven Baertschi - 69 NHL games (now in Vancouver)
Roman Horak - 84 NHL games (in KHL now)
Lance Bouma - 199 NHL games
Micheal Ferland - 26 NHL games

Oilers

Anton Lander - 132 NHL games
Tobias Rieder - 72 NHL games (all for Coyotes)
Tyler Pitlick - 27 NHL games
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - 258 NHL games
Martin Marincin - 85 NHL games

Sharks

Nada

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

Draisaitl looks like he's improved his skating noticeably.

ugly skater, but good top speed.

first few steps aren't phenomenal, but it's that Kopitar "looks slow but isn't" thing. Won oilers fastest skater last year (Hall's knee was bummed though)

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

Just read that Morrison grew up as an Oil fan. His parents are long time season ticket holders.

Pretty funny how that works out.

I think Brandon Hickey was an oiler fan too.

Though Jordan Eberle and Taylor Hall might have been flames fans

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton

Exactly. His first step needs to keep improving but his style of play is something Edmonton lacks. Definitely the type of player the Oilers will keep around for a while IMO.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Exactly. His first step needs to keep improving but his style of play is something Edmonton lacks. Definitely the type of player the Oilers will keep around for a while IMO.

Yes, his ability to possess the puck for long periods in the offensive zone until he is ready to distribute it to an open team mate is something the Oilers have needed for a few seasons now.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Darnell Nurse
6'4" - 20 years old
13 fights in CHL
vs

Rasmus Andersson
6'0" - 18 years old
0 fights in CHL

And you post this like you are shocked? Of course Nurse wrecked him :laugh: I had no issue with Nurse fighting him but his celebrating after the fight was immature IMO. Good on Andersson for showing heart and not standing idly by or hiding like some other players.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Darnell Nurse
6'4" - 20 years old
13 fights in CHL
vs

Rasmus Andersson
6'0" - 18 years old
0 fights in CHL

And you post this like you are shocked? Of course Nurse wrecked him :laugh: I had no issue with Nurse fighting him but his celebrating after the fight was immature IMO. Good on Andersson for showing heart and not standing idly by or hiding like some other players.

:laugh:

Good on Andersson for showing heart? Stupidity =/= courage. All you've posted is proof that Andersson was out of his element and out of his realm. The scrum was on the opposite side of the ice, and the game was tied. He grabbed Nurse in the scrum. Please, don't make it into a bully vs. the little hero here. It was the stupid vs the strong.

Andersson was dumb to think he should try and fight Nurse, and Nurse showed him why. Pretty simple. You can pat him on the back, but the slap on the wrist he received was much more deserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad